Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Hunting Server

Hunting Server  

523 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Hunting Server added?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care / Doesn't Effect Me

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I don't think it's ever made it to its own thread. There needs to be a server strictly for hunting. Currently, the main Freedom cluster has hardly any hunting. I've traveled around everywhere on all four servers, and the hunting was great when they first opened. After people start breeding and collecting aggressive such as hell horses, the hunting has gone down. What hunting there is, Spirit Templars usually kill them.

What I propose is a strictly hunting only server East of Independence, sailable by boat. Building, breeding, and penning of animals would not be allowed. There would be no deeds, guard towers, or Spirit Templars.

The server should remain PvP-free simply for the fact that I know that Freedom players would enjoy hunting on it as well.

After such a server would be implemented, it should solve a lot of problems for people who can't find decent hunting to get their Fighting and Weapon skills up. It would also add value to larger boats as you could transport a mass quantity of meats, hides, and pelts. It would open up a new trade window for people who want to supply bulk meats and other animal produce, which is only a GOOD thing for the economy.

The size of such a server shouldn't be too big, perhaps GV sized 1024, or 2048. Items can be crossed between the servers, and perhaps some unique, non-game breaking items could be found on the server for hunters to collect. The animals would be more difficult, and would be a lot more prominent. Horses would be abundant so you could bring some gear to ride on them with.

A few ideas that could be implemented along with this server would include:

Sleeping Bag (Non-Repairable) - Cloth Tailoring Implemented!

2 Furs

2 Sheets

10 Strings of Cloth

--- Offers 1/3 Sleep Bonus compared to a bed

--- 5 Minute logout timer

Tents (Non-Repairable) - Leatherworking Implemented!

5 Shafts

4 Leather (3kg each)

10 Wires

2 Sleeping Bags

--- Offers 1/2 Sleep Bonus compared to a bed

--- 5 Minute logout timer

Ivory

Ivory has a number of functions, but mostly decorational, which wouldn't be game breaking at all. What could be made from Ivory includes Horned Helmets, Ivory Musical Horns, Drinking Horns, and other decorational Ivory items.

Unique Respawns

Uniques could occasionally respawn here with no messages. This means that each new server that is added wouldn't be plagued with people who only join the server to kill the uniques. The uniques that spawn from new servers would randomly spawn here every couple of weeks after the newest servers are added.

Stronger Animals

This server could showcase animals far stronger than the typical animals on the other servers. Unique creatures such as the God's animals (Avatars) could respawn here, aggressive, and perhaps would drop loot such as 50-60QL weaponry (not high QL, but mostly trophy material). A server like this could be used to test stronger animals before implemented to mainstream servers, and perhaps one day Rolf could test smarter animal AI, such as troll and goblin outposts, or even NPC strongholds.

Item Fixes

Branches - Make Kindling out of them Implemented!

I don't really see a downside to this, and a server such as this would have the least strain out of any other server as there would be no buildings or deeds.

I'd like to see people's thoughts on an idea such as this.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 38

Would the sever be just for gaining fight skill or would it be for getting like animals bits and such?

Both as you can bring and take away items from the server.

It would be like a normal server, except that you can't build, deed, or pen animals. This would mean there's a huge amount of animals to kill, and that they would never become extinct simply because of the lack of permanent residents.

This kind of server would be good for all kinds of people including Alchemists, Butchers, Cooks, and Fighters to name a few.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

it's kind of a big eff you to all the people like dagobert who've gotten high stats without that though

Finally found a proper use for GV other than the tutorial :)

• Like 1

Yeah, it does. On inde I cannot find a single deer coz ppl breed them... I need to travel to other servers like Exo which is annoying. I'd finally have enough many hides.

it's kind of a big eff you to all the people like dagobert who've gotten high stats without that though

I got 90 fs off of purely hunting and I wouldnt mind it at all. You know, when you think about it, it's not really cool to say "I (or someone else) did it the hard way, so should everyone else", when you consider that hard way means it's simply nearly impossible due to game limitations (hard cap on animals) It took me almost two full years of 4-5 days hunting a week to go from 75 to 90 fs, becuase of the lack of animals...

Not to mention, the person in your example hunted a massive size pvp server with minimal population, so it has a lot of wildlife. But it's not fair to expect people who want to hunt (pve) to go to a pvp server for it...

Edited by Alyeska
  • Like 6

might be nice to have one general 'town' area with some docks, a number of ovens, maybe some beds... but even without that I still like the idea.

• Like 2

i got 70 fs with horrible shield/weapon stats on mattown in about a week so yea

and that was on deliverance

Edited by Mattown

I don't think it should be connected to Independence. Inde is a big server... It should be more centralized, maybe east of Deliverance. The server setup would be a nice t shape then.

Or maybe there should be a gate in every general town, so we could just teleport there like to Epic.

I like the concept, but Wurm is in essence a crafting game and infrastructure really helps with navigation as well as providing means of extended stay.

How about that instead of a blanket "no building of any kind" rule, have the place possess "an aura of aggressive nature", meaning that the decay of anything built on the ground would be greatly increased. So much, in fact, that a freshly raised building would only last a couple of days at most.

...Either that or a few GM-operated towns in which you could rent a room

....or just disallow walls, deeds, houses and fences... Those are the only mass animal controlling mechanics i know of.

Perhaps you can pitch tents and roll out sleeping bags instead of building a house for a bed? But of course, that's another suggestion! :D

The backpack model has a sleeping bag/blanket underneath it already!

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

Love the idea of something being north of Indipendence. I like the sound of good hunting grounds filled with agros and uniques :P

+1

Please, nothing North of Indy, East of Exo or Cele would be best, but continuing to put servers to the North and South of the existing ones is starting to make traveling ridiculous :/

• Like 1

use it to connect pristine and release to the rest of the cluster (eventually)

• Like 1

I like the concept of it but a whole server with no income for the game? Maybe you have to be a member of a hunting group or something and pay every month or something...IDK It needs someway to earn money just think about all the income the game gets from a new server how is this one going to earn money like that?

Edited by Kegan

Premium only sounds like a good start. The idea of a membership doesn't sound too good, but perhaps an alternative to that could be looked at.

Perhaps if there was a portal to it, you could buy something off the trader to "activate" the portal to go to the hunting server?

Or, there could be a few small GM-ran villages on each corner of the map that have portals (if they are used to travel) with inns that charge 50c per rent? That money could be seen as a profit.

Maybe Rolf could use the GV server?

I'm sure if Rolf added the server it could be heavily advertised as a PvE-only server for hunters and explorers alike.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 3

A waste of resources. Already lot of stuff to kill and Rolf doesn't make a dime off of a server with no deeds. I can't believe someone would go premium just to go grind fight skill, er, hunt when you can do it on any server. Just seems like resources could be used better in some other money making way.

BTW, this is merely my opinion. :P .

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

A waste of resources. Already lot of stuff to kill and Rolf doesn't make a dime off of a server with no deeds. I can't believe someone would go premium just to go grind fight skill, er, hunt when you can do it on any server. Just seems like resources could be used better in some other money making way.

BTW, this is merely my opinion. :P .

Where is there a lot of stuff to kill? All I have seen on all four servers is nothing but deeds with dead animals outside of them, and deserts/steppes/tundras with absolutely no animals on them. I have been through forests and there is only one spider about every 50 tiles around, which is not a lot at all.

Chaos has some decent hunting at the risk of running into hostile players, which I think is fair.

• Like 1

Chaos has some decent hunting at the risk of running into hostile players, which I think is fair.

To enjoy the PvE aspect of the game you shouldn't be forced to travel to a PvP server, as I said in the OP. There are many Freedom players who want nothing to do with PvP, and I believe it wouldn't be fair to them to allow only the PvP crew to have better hunting. I'm going to assume you just want the chance to kill them, which is a very biased viewpoint.

Edited by Xallo

Great rewards should come with additional risks. That's my belief.

If a player wants dragon armour, they have to kill a dragon.

If a player wants glimmersteel or adamantite, they have to participate in HOTA.

If a player wants a rich hunting ground, should they not have to travel to a dangerous server?

• Like 2