Sign in to follow this  
Tehangel2

Why Is This Happening?

P0W7Rzb.png

It has been happening since day 1 of letting them all into the pen. Do they just not like pumpkins??

• Like 1

They have been clustering on the steppe I planted as well, not sure as to why given that there is plenty of steppe throughout the pen.

Was this worth a thread?

Given the fact that most of the threads I've seen lately are less question more whining, I see this thread as far more legitimate than half the ones on the forums at the moment. At least he bothered to post some screenshots.

That is some significant bunching there.... No idea what is causing it...

There is a water source in the area of the bunching and they are gravitating towards it

Edited by Airwalkre

Yeah that's it. Animals are attracted by water sources no idea why but Rolf will have his reasons.

There is a water source in the area of the bunching and they are gravitating towards it

I think I've heard some say that the code sometimes hangs up and all animals in a pen gather to one corner.

Yeah that's it. Animals are attracted by water sources no idea why but Rolf will have his reasons.

Now the question is does putting a fountain/well help stop them from moving towards it? I have wondered this as I only know they move towards water source

Edited by Airwalkre

This has been happening to me, most strangely in my largest and only grass pen (no crops), they're consistently favoring the SW corner.

The rest of my animals seem to rotate to which corner they prefer, but it's not always nearest a water source. I have a fountain on the other side of my fence from my pen and they are still playing ring-around-the-rosey with the corners.

It has nothing to do with water sources. My horses all bunch up to the North East corner of the pen. The water source closest to the pen is a few tiles from the South West corner. If it was indeed water source causing this issue all my horses would bunch up to that corner instead. Now perhaps what we should all post is where our deeds are on the map in relation to the center and then what direction the animals bunch up.

They could all be heading in the same direction. One persons SW might be anothers NE.

Maybe they are all facing animal Mecca?

HA ha!!

I would be interested to figure this out as well. I've noticed significant livestock bunching on large fields too. I thought maybe my animals just loved to rub against each other. ;)

I like the theory about water source tiles. I hope someone has some evidence to back it up. If not, any other theories?

After eating the wemp, I would probably want some strawberries too.

• Like 1

HA ha!!

I would be interested to figure this out as well. I've noticed significant livestock bunching on large fields too. I thought maybe my animals just loved to rub against each other. ;)

I like the theory about water source tiles. I hope someone has some evidence to back it up. If not, any other theories?

It's not so hard to understand. They are screwing with your mind. Guess it was kinda easy.

The way to counter this is to plant all sorts of crops in no particular pattern. Grains, garlic, onions, cotton, wemp, all mixed up. Like you don't really care. Then they decide you really DON'T care and stop messing with you. Worked for me.

My animals tend to congregate in the NE corner. They are in a ~500 tile pen with 250 grass tiles, all the grass tiles in NE section are packed with the rest of it at wild stage. Its not a water source either as I got one in the SW corner of the pen and the animals NEVER collect there. I think Devs simplified animal movement in an attempt to reduce AI strain on server.

I think this is a good thing, clever programming if you ask me.

Just go out and look at real cows. Or google images of cows in fields.

800px-Cows_in_green_field_-_nullamunjie_olive_grove.jpg

gowrie-036.jpg?w=400&h=325

They are supposed to do this..

Also look at the grass in fields when the cows are away.. from the trample marks you can see they often have favorite well trodden areas.

and random is the opposite of "scattered evenly across a given area", one cow on every tile would be spooky odd.

I love how our cows bunch up. & I love this thread

Edited by canoe sandie