Sign in to follow this  
Corvan

One Man Outpost (The Final Chapter))

((http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/63349-one-man-outpostcontinued/))

((Previous chapters linked above))

((I know even longer then what i wanted to take, but RL has again taken crazy turn after crazy turn, and I have been working the final part of the story out over the last month. so here we go))

The sounds of a quill scratching at parchment echo lightly through a single torch lit room. It was spacious in the center, but the walls were lined with armor stands, weapon stands, and chests of various sizes and lengths. In the off center of the room sat a large oak desk. The man behind the desk sighed with a frustration, not of boredom, but of longing. The man was Corvan who was now looking older. Hair short, but grey in a few spots, his face was starting to line heavily from the years of hard living and fighting. He could still move with the best of them, for looks can be deceiving, but it takes the toll on him. With another sigh he continued to write.

"It has been three and a half years sense the war ended with the Horde of the summoned, I was finally free of my obligation to the kingdom of Jenn Kellon, and it's prince Pedro. With my two only fully trusted friends Karr and Kreagar, I decided to open up a school of fighting. Not because I wanted to pass my skills onto those who wish to learn them, but to create a business I could keep my self occupied with. Many of these..kids that come here have no respect for anyone but the coin that gets them what they want..when they come here..they do learn a hard days work and the pride it can bring."

Dipping the quill into the ink cup, Corvan continued" The first year was the hardest to get things going, with only the three of us, word had to be spread by word of mouth. Once it spread though, they came in groups. The first group had the most loss of life..but those that had survived turned out to be some of the best fighters I had ever trained, and many of them stayed at the compound as I have come to call it. After that first year, things got easier.

We used my old home. The one in the agreement with Pedro. Which has expanded to its limits now and is almost a private town. From a blacksmith to a quarter master and a Mining Foreman. The Compound can produce enough product to cover the costs to supply everyone with food and the like needed. Everyone who comes to the school, either has a job to do or learns one. Which is one of two ways to get into the school. You work, or you pay. Even if you pay your way in, you will still work, for everyone is treated the same no matter what status you came from. So most just work, but those who pay think they will get treated better.

Though last year one of the students who graduated came to me with a idea. The Idea was to start a fighters guild. The only requirement for joining this guild is to go through the training of the school. So for the last year, we have been building the reputation for the guild as well. Even had the hall built here within the school grounds it self. A year later to this day, I have stated one rule for the guild at his has been this. "honor your agreement." Those who try to back out of the deal made are..convinced otherwise. There is much more to this, but it is long and complicated and I do not want to write it all down at this time, but I will state this. How to pass the school, is a trial. The Caverns. These Caverns house the test for the students. Some go in alone and some go in as groups when needed. But always less come out..which is we lose the most of the students. "

With a long sigh Corvan set down the quill for the night and rose leaving the office and headed upstairs to his personal chambers. The room itself was smaller then the office but was simple. A bed in the corner with a armor stand and weapon stand next to each other. These stands housed his sword and armor. A chest at the foot of his bed and a wash basin in the corner. It was all he needed. With that he laid down for the night, for tomorrow a new group of students would be inducted into the school.

((this being shorter then I wanted it to be for now, will haveto do. But I do have another part to add which I will hopefully do tomorrow if things go how I want them too.))

• Like 1

((again I know its been awhile and a lot probably don't know this has continued. Real life has taken some turns again but hopefully things will settle down in a routine and I can finally get that Inspiration to write. Can't just write...trust me on that one.))

The sun shown brightly through the small window of the Headmaster's small window, which sadly shined directly at his face. Groaning loudly, the headmaster grabbed a small metal object that looked like a cub and chucked it at the window, missing by at least a few feet, and clanked loudly off of the stone wall and onto the hard wooden floor. Pulling thick wool blankets over his head groaning again. "I hate mornings.." He said and was almost asleep once more when someone came knocking on the heavy oak door loudly.

"Go..away" The headmaster said loud enough for the person to hear, but either did not hear or ignored it and this time pounded on the door harder and longer. Getting up out of bead wearing only brown cotton pants, his long hair with patches of gray covering parts of his face till it reached his shoulders. Stomping towards the door, and yanking it open to reveal Kreagar standing their in his studded leather outfit. "What is it!" The headmaster nearly shouted. "Corvan..it is time to greet and get the new recruits ready for training.." Running his fingers through his hair, Corvan sighed."this is what i get for becoming headmaster" Corvan said to himself.

"Alright..get everyone down their..ill be down in ten minutes"

Kreagar nodded “they are already waiting.†Corvan sighed some as Kreagar walked away and down the stairs. Silently Corvan started to get his studded leather armor on. “this is how it is now I suppose.. dealing with arrogant kids and the nobles..†he said to himself. Reaching for his scabbard and the blade within it, and strapped it on, and checked the blade itself. The scrapping sound of metal on hard leather echoed as the blade was exposed to the mid-morning air. The aura about the blade self still shown darkly as it always had and seem to pulse like a living being. With a nod of satisfaction, the blade sheathed once more within the scabbard.

Corvan yanked open the door from his chamber’s and slammed it closed as he stomped down the stairs. His chambers were located on top of the officer building were all of the senior staff stayed. The building itself was a four story building, his room on the top floor along with Karr and Kreagar’s. the third and second level’s housed the senior staff, from the head cook to the mining foreman and everyone in between. The first floor was the main office that when ever something offical needed to be done, all of that information was stored there. Heading out the main office door with a bang, the mid- morning sun shone brightly in the cloudless sky. Corvan stopped a few feet outside of the door and looked up at the sky and glared.

With a snort, Corvan walked his way towards the center of the compound as he called it. Small and large buildings of various uses passed him quickly, from a smith to a fletcher and storage houses, Corvan ignored it all, for today was not a day enjoyment or training.. but a day of induction. The accpetance of new trainers to his school. Sniveling brats of noblemen who bought their way in, or the sad half starved scare crows of poor farmer boys and various poor backgrounds. Some had dropped large amounts of coin to gain entrance into the school, while others pledged to work their share in one job or another. As Corvan neared the central courtyard graduates of the school stepped aside as Corvan passed in respect and he nodded to them but only just. Corvan stopped and looked to a recent graduate, The young man seem to pale slightly, but Corvan waved off his nervousness, “gather the graduates, and everyone..today I am making a special announcement for everyone to hear..senior staff and all. Got it?†The man nodded “Yes Headmaster†Was his only reply and took off in a run to inform others of the news.

With that done, Corvan entered the main court yard and heard a sudden silence come among the new recruits. Corvan stood at the entrance for a minute surveying them with a cold glare, the dull yellow in his eyes showing even in the bright mid- morning sun. All of the new recruits continued their silence and sat straight up facing the stand were Corvan was to make his introduction speech to them. Slowly Corvan made his way not towards the stand, but around the recruits slowly, each step slapping onto the stone slabs heavily.

Karr and Kreagar watched from a corner of the court yard with smirks on their faces, they knew Corvan did this to scare the new recruits, the whole character of being grumpy or just down right angry for no apparent reason. It was all a act, well mostly all a act. Continuing his slow pace around the recruits watching them sit stock still and pale whenever he stopped near them and stared at them. Never once though did he say anything to any of them. He spoke no words, only showing a obvious displeasure for what he would hope the students took as his dislike for what he saw

After taking a walk around the students, Corvan took his place on the stand to address the students properly. The stand itself was just raised patch of earth covered with stone slabs. Pacing slowly from one side to the other Corvan kept his gaze on the students. “You are here.. because you wish to learn to fight.â€Corvan spoke loud enough for everyone in the area to hear. Unbeknown to the students though, the graduated members of the school were lining up around the area were students were inducted into the school.

“Some of you paid your way into this school.. while most of you pledge to work for the school. I will state this here and know.. paid your way in or not. Does not matter here.. everyone will do their part here like it or not. If you do not like that, then leave. Simple as that.†He let the words sink in, seeing who had paid their way in become disgruntled but stayed were they were sitting. “good.. first thing is now out of the way.. the second thing I will tell you know is this.†He faced them directly ending his pacing. “I will not accept any back talking..you came here to learn from this school and I will not tolerate a kid telling me how to teach him to fight.. There is nothing glorious about fighting. It is a gritty bloody thing we need to survive, So if we decide something there is a reason behind it.†Glaring at the students. “is that understood?†They all firmly said “Yes sir!†Continuing to glare at the students “I will let this slide only once, but you will never refer to me as sir ever again! That is for the noble fat people, I am no noble. You will address me as Headmaster, until I tell you can call me by my name. Until then this is how you will address me!†letting it sink in for a moment he then continued†Is THAT understood!†this time they shouted in unison “YES HEADMASTER!†Corvan nodded in approval.

“Now there are a few rules you will follow and Iwill also tell you the general guidelines you will follow and what will be happening as you adjust to your new life.. your old life is now over.†Some of the students looked horrified but did not move for fear of what may happen to them. “The rules are as follows. You will follow all orders given to you by myself, Master Kreagar and Master Karr, along with all of the senior staff..whom you will all come to know in the coming weeks as we continue your introduction.†“You will not fight each other unless a senior staff member, myself, or the Masters here sanction it. “ Some students looked at each other with curious looks on their face wondering what they have gotten themselves into.

“You are to not have any contact with any of the graduated students. They all bear a symbol of the school on their left shoulder. They as well will avoid talking to you or coming in confrontation with you.. If this rule is violated punishment will be severe. “

‘these are the major rules that must be followed at all times.. the rest of the rules are posted in your barracks on each level by the main door. Study them carefully..there are not many, but failure to not follow rules.. well lets just say you will want to leave after wards.†Again he let the words sink into them.

“A few main guidelines for you kids to understand.. everyone will do a job here at least one day a week or as needed by the senior member of that particular job..So if you have skills as a blacksmith, be expected to do that job.. and if you have no skill in anything.. well for one your lazy.. but we will get you situated and get you working on something. Everyone will work paid or not. We work as a group..One covers the other..the miner mines the ore for the smiths, who make our tools and weapons and armor so that we may survive.†Taking in a breath Corvan continued. “this you will come to understand.. Another guideline and also information for you..the moment you stepped past that gate.. you entered private owned land..the kingdom of Jenn kellon has no power here..Their laws do not apply here nor do their taxes or anything. This is the smallest free nation in the known world that I earned in the last war with the blacklighters..I tell you this for one reason..state Jenn Kellon law and I will personally beat the living ###### out of you.†A few students paled but still did not move. “the rest of the guidelines are posted in your barracks, again study them closely..there are not many but follow them closely.â€

Corvan turned from the students watching as more graduates filled the area around them. Some students looked around and saw that they were being surrounded but said nothing. Facing the students once again Corvan continued. “Over your training here you will be pushed.. beyond what you thought your physical limits were. Depending on how well you adapt to your training, you could be a student for only months, three at the most..but the longest so far has been nine months. There is only one way to graduate from this school. The first is you must master the sword, and the second is facing your trial in the caves. Were you will either go alone or go with students to face a monster that can kill you if you do not fall back on your training..and yes people have died in those caves..At least one of you will not make it.. and you will probably die in the Caves.. I dare you to prove me wrong†Corvan looked to his two teachers and nodded. “After a short announcement, you new students will follow Master Karr and Kreager to the training field to see how well.. or how badly you fight and to see what kind of weapon you handle best..beisdes the sword.†Some started to whisper to each other but fell quiet under the gaze of the headmaster.

“Now you graduates.. my brothers and sisters in arms.. with so many of you here now.. we have decided to open a guild hall for fighters. A fighters guild!†There was a roaring cheer among the graduates while the students looked on confused.

“in the coming weeks, once the hall is finished, all graduates are welcome to join the fighters guild and begin to earn money from the work that comes in and trust me..there is always work for men of our caliber!! “Another cheer went up “Speak to the office manager in the senior staff building to sign your name to the listing of members. More information will be brought to you when is It prepared.†A final cheer went up, but died the moment Corvan raised his hand for silence. “Graduates back to your duties..Master Karr and Master Kreagar..lead our students to the field to begin testing them.

Both masters nodded and started to speak loudly and sometimes harshly to those who did not move fast enough. Without even watching them be lead off, Corvan headed back for his office, Nodding and saluting to his men. “the life I live now.. not the one I wanted.. but it works.†Corvan said to himself as he entered the office and headed for his private chamber.

(I know im slow with adding right now, but there should be one left in me before this is finished, hopefully it won’t take me months to add it.))

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, March 26, 2013 - Trolling
Hidden by Jberg, March 26, 2013 - Trolling

lame

View hidden Post

This is the gayest thing

View hidden Post

Get a life

fag

You sir have no respect for people.

And for you Corvan keep it up this is good

Edited by Ord_V2

Not worried about it, Reported and moving on.Probably just a alt account trying to do something.

((many of you may have grown tired of waiting for this story to finish and I apologize for the wait. I recently had a son born and he has been my focus. Also with getting my life in order once and for all. I now bring you, the final chapter in One many Outpost. Enjoy))

Three months after the students acceptance into the fighter's school

The sounds of shouting could be heard outside of Corvans room on the top floor of the officer building. Slowly Corvan himself rose out of bed to figure out who was shouting and what about when the sounds of rushing footsteps came up to his chamber door and knocked on the door very quickly. A few seconds after that more knocks. Already annoyed from the shouting, Corvan yanked open the solid oak door and stared down the person knocking on the door.

It was Karr. "Karr what in the hell is going on!"Corvan almost shouted. Karr looked like he had run from Kyara itself. "Your scouts have returned..they found her" He managed to say while breathing deeply. Corvan narrowed his eyes for a moment "Found who?" Karr looked at him. "HER..Arain" Karr said. Corvan suddenly remembered, and nodded his head "Go wake the students and the Guild..I want all of them in the main court yard in one hour..There is something they all need to see..and bring that woman in here."Corvan said to Karr. Karr looked at Corvan and saw a look in his eye that he did not agree with but would not speak out about it. He just nodded and headed down stairs. 

Corvan moved to the darkest area of his room and waited. Fortunately he did not have to wait long as the shouts got louder. Loud enough for him to hear. " LET ME GO DAMN YOU!! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? WHO MY HUSBAND IS!!" Two men garbed in black leather came in half dragging half carrying Arain, who was covered in a brown torn cloak and simple night clothes. Her hands were bound to her back by thick rope and her feet were bound as well. The two men tossed her onto the floor were she struggled to get up onto her knees. "You two will be locked up and killed for kidnapping me!! Do you know who my husband is?!!" Arain said loudly. The two men stood at the door saying nothing. "Speak damn it! I demand to know why I have been brought to this place..and were am I anyways!" 

Corvan spoke from his place not revealing himself just yet "You are in my company now..Arain..you should of known better.."Corvan spoke in a deathly tone. Arain suddenly became pale white her piercing green eyes shown widely as she looked around the room quickly. "I know that voice..but its impossible..you were killed!!" she shouted nervously. "No..Arain..I was captured..and then I freed myself..and got mixed up in the war because of you.."He took a step forward from his spot, his pale skin showing in the moon light, while his face was covered in his long hair. "You..betrayed me Arain..you betrayed my trust..something I should not have done"Corvan said to her. The tone of his voice sent chills down her spine so greatly, she shook visibly. "You were supposed to die.."She said weakly looking at Corvan. "They would of killed me if I didn't give them what they wanted!"she said. Corvan took another step forward showing the yellow in his eyes to her. She looked at the floor,unable to meet his gaze.

"I told you..if you ever betrayed my trust..I would hunt you down and kill you..I do not go back on what I say Arain..I will kill you..but not how you think I will"Corvan grinned at her as he saw the look of terror on her face. Slowly he walked closer to her. Corvan stopped so close to her, that he had to look all the way down at her. Arain was shaking visibly now, even more so when Corvan grabbed her by her robe and hauled her up off of her feet and into the air with one arm. "O no..you won't die in this room..I have something special in mind for you. Suddenly Corvan let Arain go and drove his knee into her skull as she hit the floor. With a grunt of pain Arain fell back onto the hard wood floor and did not move again. Corvan checked to make sure she was still breathing and smiled finding she was. "You two..take her down to the main courtyard and string her up..and tell Kreagar to get my sword..and I mean..MY sword. "Without a word the two men nodded, grabbing the body of Arain and hurried down stairs to carry out their orders. 

As Corvan finished putting on his armor. Mostly black dyed leather and his red leather belt. He headed down the stairs and out the door. Once Corvan was outside he saw that torches had been lit to light the way to the courtyard and he could still see some students making their way to the courtyard. Kreagar came running up holding a sword sheathed in red. The handle was simple except for a black gem embedded into the center guard of the sword. "Your sure about this Corvan? asked Kreagar. Corvan took the sword and strapped it to his belt. "I am..this is a understanding for them..and for her" Kreagar nodded and followed Corvan to the Courtyard.

As Corvan and kreagar came around the corner the scene was of high interest to everyone. Most of the students were in night clothes and simple robes, while the guild members were in their leather armor all talking among each other and pointing to the figure who was tied to a post. Kreagar went in first and many of the students looked to him and asked questions but he waved them off and told them to sit and be quiet.  Once everything went quiet Corvan came from the shadows of the road and what few students who were talking, stopped instantly. 

"Students..Instructors..members of the Fighter's Guild..you are gathered here in the middle of the night to witness something..and to understand something." A few of the students looked at each other with worried glances but said nothing. Corvan turned to the figure tied to the post and smacked the figure across the face. "WAKE UP!" he shouted at the same time. The figure was revealed to be the woman Arain, whom Corvan already know but a few of the students gasped in surprised, mostly the women. "This..woman is called Arain..she was a spy for me before the war." Corvan let it sink in for a few moments before continuing "Just before the war happened, I was on my way back from a meeting with her when I was ambushed by a group of Blacklighter priests..now before you even think about it, she is the only person who knows our meeting spot..she gave me up to them! She broke the trust I gave her. Yes they threatened to kill her." Some of the students were talking to each other now, but stopped when they noticed Corvan was staring at them and fell silent once more.

"I also told her that if she was to ever betray me..I would kill her..I will keep my promise..for I do not go back on what I say!" Corvan shouted as he turned to his students. "You all..have come here among your own free will..with a desire for something..you all have my trust in keeping your Oaths." "You students have yet to take this Oath..but if you manage to graduate from this school or if you leave..you will take that oath..this Oath is a promise to never reveal the secrets you learn here from anyone under any reason..Not even pain of death"Corvan said aloud. 

"I am many things..but a man who breaks his word is one thing I am not.."Corvan reached to his side and drew his sword. The moment the blade left the sheath, the black gem seem to flicker with life and the blade itself shimmered with a dark power. He then turned to Arain. "You once told me you feared that when you die, your soul would not go to the after life.."As he spoke Arain suddenly understood what Corvan was going to do. She started to beg "Please you can't let him do this! its murder!! you will all be held accountable for my death and will be put to death yourself! this I swear!" A few of the students laughed at her statement. Corvan merely smirked and looked her in the eyes.

"Arain..this land you are on is owned solely by me..Jenn Kellon and all your little laws..have no power here..I have a document signed by your own prince Pedro stating just that.."He grinned at her and moved so she could see everyone. "Help me!" she cried out, but no one moved and only stared at her.

"They choose to not help you..for they understand what keeping a promise..your word..a oath. Whatever you wish to call it..means."Corvan showed Arain the blade of the sword. "you see this Arain..this is a very special sword..It consumes the souls of those it kills..You will have no afterlife!" Without waiting for to scream Corvan plunged the sword into her heart so fast and hard the tip of the sword struck the post she was tied to. Arain tried to scream but only looked in painful shock as her skin turned a ghost white and her eyes faded into a blank stare.

Corvan yanked the sword out and wiped the blood off and turned to his students. "This is a lesson I will give you only once..so this is something for all of you to understand...This is a lesson for you all here and now..this will never be seen again..now go back to your beds..you have training tomorrow" With that Corvan turned and sheathed his sword looking to Kreagar. "if anyone leaves tonight..let them..This is their wake up call..if they choose to leave let them..but make sure they understand to never speak of their training..only were they got it from.."Kreagar nodded and went to relay the message to the gate guards. "Karr..throw her body in the cave..im sure the creatures in there are hungry."

The next morning

Corvan had not slept the entire night, instead he stared out of his window watching the moon set and the sun rise. A knock on his door brought him back to his senses and left were he was standing and opened the door. Karr and Kreagar stood there with no expression on their face. "How many left?" Corvan asked simply, Karr and Kreagar asked for Corvan to follow them. Curious Corvan followed them down stairs and into the training Courtyard were he could see the students training in their styles of combat, From the sword and shield to the hammer and bow, and everything in between. "No one left Headmaster..if anything they woke up earlier then usual..Seems they have something prove maybe? "Kreagar said with a smirk.

Corvan did not speak but put his hands behind his back and walked among the students eyeing each pair, telling some to ignore that he was their and fight as if their life depended on it. Course they trained with wooden weapons. They have yet to earn the right to use real weapons just yet.

Over the course of the rest of Corvan's life he had dedicated himself to training those who came to his place. Many did complete the training while others died in the attempt. Corvan never got personal with any of the students, he kept himself to be the hard teacher he had started out to be. Eventually Corvan did die, but not for many years, He did not die on the battlefield or to some assassin, but instead he died in his sleep. Many of the students and Fighters Guild members would wonder who would take up the mantel of Headmaster of the school..But that is another story all in its on.

((I would like to thank everyone for staying with me while I wrote this out as best as I could. It is not my best work by far, but it is the first work I have ever completed. This is something I have never done before and I am proud of myself for finally completing this story. I know many of you have waited for the ending and it is a long time coming, I hope it satisfies you, but if it doesn't well Write your own damn story then! Still I thank you all for coming along with me on this and hopefully I will be able to bring you another story based in the lands of wurm, Something a little more serious perhaps and with not peoples names in on it but a new entire cast of people!!))

I have no idea what that is but it has nothing to do with talking about this story.

I enjoyed this story immensely. but its not over! Have mercy and pick up the tale before the last italicized parapraph. You got the continued training of the students  and to go through the test..maybe some individual standouts among them to thresh out..all kinds of stuff my non talented mind can''t come up with along the plot line you started

petition to continue!

BB

Edited by Bombattle

Great story, you had a good plot, there were points where the writing lacked and points were you jumped around too much without proper explanation. But overall I enjoyed it. You have a good imagination. You should consider honing the skill and perhaps writing a book  ;)

thank you both. It was my first attempt at doing a story and i know it had its moments. Thats how people start though. honing skills. i have also been toying around with idea of continuing the  story with new characters. But sense my son was born i dont get much time right now.