Sign in to follow this  
Garit

Alchemy System

Here is my idea for an Alchemy system for the game… I know there has been other posts about Alchemy but I would like to throw my idea into the mixing pot.

Glass

Glass made from heating a heap of sand in a forge.

1. Place 1 heap of sand into a forge until Glowing from the heat – makes Glass lump.

Glass bottle

1. Activate a lump of Glass (0.50kg) glowing from the heat.
  2. Right-click a small anvil.

Glass bottles hold a max of 1.00 of Liquid.

Retort

In a chemistry laboratory, a retort is a glassware device used for distillation or dry distillation of substances.

1. Activate a lump of Glass (1.00kg) glowing from the heat.
  3. Open submenu “Create > Containers > Retort.

Alembic

An alembic is an alchemical still consisting of two vessels connected by a tube.

1. Activate a lump of Copper (2.00kg) glowing from the heat.
  3. Open submenu “Create > Containers > Alembic.

Mortar and Pestle

The mortar is a bowl, typically made of hard wood, ceramic or stone. The pestle is a heavy club-shaped object, the end of which is used for crushing and grinding.

1. Activate a Stone chisel.
  2. Right-click Marble shards (10.00kg).
  3. Open submenu “Create > Containers > Mortar and Pestle.

Alchemy Table

A long wooden table displaying a set of Alchemy equipment use for making potions and other compounds.

1. Activate a Shaft.
  2. Right-click a Plank.
  3. Open submenu “Create > Containers > Alchemy Table.

Additional materials

3x Shaft.

3x Plank.

1x Mortar and Pestle.

1x Retort.

1x Alembic.

Using the Alchemy Table

Using the Alchemy Table is sort of like using the Forge.

Base Potions

1. Place 1 Glass bottle into the Alchemy table.
  2. Activate 1 Base ingredient.
  3. Right-click the Glass bottle inside the Alchemy table.

Potions

1. Place 1 Base potion into the Alchemy table.
  2. Activate 1 Prime ingredient.
  3. Right-click the Base potion inside the Alchemy table.

Potion Making

Making Potions is like a Priest casting spells, where a Priests spells are limited to what level he/she is in Faith Potions are limited to your skill in “Natural substancesâ€.

Higher level Potions require a higher Natural substance skill.

Difficulty

Difficulty of a Potion is the same as difficulty of a Priest spell only when making a Potion and you fail there is a change that the Alchemy Table, Glass bottle and the player can be damaged when the Potion fails.

In most cases the Glass bottle is destroyed (75% chance), some cases the Alchemy table is damaged (50% chance) and the player may be wounded (50% chance).

Below is a small list of ideas for Potions –

Clay Potion

NS skill – 70

Difficulty – 60

Base Potion – (0.10kg) Clay

Prime ingredient – Troll gland.

This Potion, when used on a flat tile near water will turn that tile into a clay tile.

The tile will stay and can be dug for clay but after 1 full wurm day it will turn back into a dirt tile.

Tar Potion

NS skill – 60

Difficulty – 50

Base Potion – (0.10kg) Tar

Prime ingredient – 1 Fillet of Goblin meat.

As with the Clay Potion the Tar turns any flat packed dirt tile into a Tar tile which can be dug. After 1 full wurm day the tile turns back into a dirt tile.

Black Powder Potion

NS skill – 90

Difficulty – 80

Base Potion – (0.50kg) Charcoal

Prime ingredient – (0.10kg) Flint

Black powder aka gun powder – in Potion form can be thrown PVE at mobs or PVP at other players, damage and effects would be up to GM’s.

The Potion, when finished can also be poured into a small barrel to make a mining charge.

Mining Charge

NS skill – 90

Difficulty – 85

1. Activate a Charcoal (15.00kg)
  2. Right-click on a small barrel.

Mining charge is used in mining out rock tiles. The charge is used on the wall of choice inside a mine, the wall that it is used on is destroyed and leaves no rock shards.

As Black powder can only be made in Potion form and there for only in small amounts a Mining charge is hard to make. 15 Black powder Potions need to be made to make 15.00kg of Black powder for 1 Mining charge.

Potion of Wind

NS skill – 50

Difficulty – 40

Base Potion – Cotton string (0.50kg)

Prime ingredient – water (0.50kg)

The Potion of Wind, when used on a boat increases the boat / ships speed to a max of 17.00 km/h for 1 full wurm day after which the speed of the boat / ship returns to normal.

This Potion should only be used in low wind conditions as if the boats speed is above 17.00 km/h due to wind it will be lowered to the 17.00 km/h max of the Potion used.

Potion of Lesser Healing

NS skill – 30

Difficulty – 20

Base Potion – Rose flower (0.05kg)

Prime ingredient – Rags cotton (0.20kg)

The Potion of Lesser Healing can be used on all wounds apart from Bruises. This Potion is used on wounds just like Cotton or a Healing cover but Healing Potions act as both …. The Potion acts as both Cotton and Healing cover and the wound it is used on will end up being Bandaged and Treated.

Potions of Lesser Healing can only treat Medium wounds and below.

Potion of Healing

NS skill – 60

Difficulty – 50

Base Potion – Troll gland (0.04kg)

Prime ingredient – Rags cotton (0.20kg)

The Potion of Healing works just like a Potion of Lesser Healing the only difference is that it can be used on Bad wounds and below. This Potion still Bandages and Treats the wound in one.

Potion of Greater Healing

NS skill – 80

Difficulty – 70

Base Potion – Crocodile gland (0.03kg)

Prime ingredient – Troll gland (0.04kg)

The Potion of Greater Healing works just like it’s lower counter parts only this potion can be used on Severe wounds and below. This Potion still Bandages and Treats the wound in one.

Potion of Dispel

NS skill – 20

Difficulty – 10

Base Potion – Willow sprout (0.20kg)

Prime ingredient – Ash (0.10)

The Potion of Dispel is used to dispel magic placed on an item or tile. This can be used to remove Enchanted trees, plants or grass and can be used to remove other magic enchantments on items.

Potion of Transmute

NS skill – 95

Difficulty – 80

Base Potion – Lead (0.50kg)

Prime ingredient – Gold (0.50kg)

This Potion does what it says on the tin. Use this potion on any base metal – Iron, Copper, Tin, Zink etc … and you can turn that base metal into any other base metal. This potion cannot be used to make Alloys – Steel, bronze, Brass etc.

The Transmuted metal is always half the weight of the base metal – Iron (1.00kg) Trans to Lead = (0.50kg) / Copper (5.00kg) Trans to Tin = (2.25kg).

This Potion may also be used to turn Marble into Slate or Slate into Marble.

I also have a load of other Potions to add to the list but I know that all you guys will have Potion ideas of your own and I didn’t want to make the list to long.

This is just an idea on how I think this may work (with out to much work and change to the game for the Dev’s) and any other input into the idea Good or Bad is always welcome.

If you like the idea pls click a like for me if not say why not… it all adds to the game.

• Like 31

Honestly I like this.

As long as the potions have a cooldown both on creation and on use (a few minutes, to make greater healing potions / Mining Potions not insanely overpowered)

It seems like it adds another use for alot of things.

Nothing seems very overpowered (90 NS is insanely hard, something not everyone can get) and the affect rivals that.

+1

More potions can be added, and this could also make a good base for poisons and such on weapons. (which has been kinda "in process")

Also gives uses for taste etc.

Only thing I feel is overpowered is the potion of wind.

Could be nerfed to something a little less strong, (it has a huge PVP impact)

Edited by Trencal

Well the idea realy is just the top half of the post....the Table and how the Potions are made.

I tryed to think of a way the Dev's could add that in without much work or having to change lots of stuff.

The Potions were just added to show how the system would work.....as for the Potion of wind that was me adding in something for when Rolf spots me making a cargo run in my ship and then says "Ah Garit is sailing on a long trip again - Light Breeze for him pls" lol

Potions - Effects and Difficulty would be the domain of the Dev's but i would like to see some more of the lesser used items in the game come into play in this way.

Good freaking lord that is a well thought out suggestion. I'm all for making alchemy more useful and these suggested potions and items are fantastic examples of what alchemy could be.

There isn´t a + and/or 1 big enough to give this the +1 that deserve, so +2

How would ql impact results? Under 10, not usable? Over 10 effect improves?

For things like the mining charge, maybe ql equals the percentage of the mining actions removed from the tile (with other listed effects)?

BTW i´m ok with the mining charge, even make it give shards, same as mining, the ql of the charge affects the max ql of the shards you get and the amount of mining actions you take away from a wall (like with pickaxes), The downside is you get no skill, and can only be used to mine rocks.

Example if you are tryng to remove a 70ql wall, you need at least a 70ql charge to remove the full wall, and it gives an average of 50ql shards (charge ql - 20), or you can use 2 ql 35 charges and get 15ql shards, etc.

Also idk if can be implemented, but i fell in love with the morrowind alchemy system, in wich every component have his set of properties and wen you mix it you need to pair 2 or more different components with the same effect to get the rigth potion, your alchemy level determines wich properties you can read from things (same like our AH system can read traits) and the ql and type of tools allow to refine the resulting potion, ets.

Edited by KunAlt

Very good Idea. Liked it. Love the part with the table etc. Really like the possibilities the devs could use this for (the potions). And I think it would be a nice career option which just adds to the game.

thanks for all the Likes guy's ....

as for the Mining Charge - when you use it it destroys 1 tile but leaves NO rock shards ....also it can't be used on Ore veins. I only put the Potions in to show how the System works and the Mining charge was only to be used to make tunnels, canals and to core out areas not for mining rock or any other type of Mat.

I like the idea at the top. The healing potions would render cotton and healing covers obsolete, so I couldn't support that idea. Nor can I support the transmutation potion being added in.

Outside of that, I like this idea a lot! I would love to see Alchemy become more useful. Maybe that natural substances affinity might be worth something then. :)

I like the idea at the top. The healing potions would render cotton and healing covers obsolete, so I couldn't support that idea. Nor can I support the transmutation potion being added in.

Outside of that, I like this idea a lot! I would love to see Alchemy become more useful. Maybe that natural substances affinity might be worth something then. :)

If implemented as suggesed it would not render cotton or healing covers obsolete since anyone with even 1 skill in NS can make a healing cover and cotton can be used by anyone as well. It would give options to those with higher skill and give new usefulness to the items that you collect and decay before you get around to using them.

+ 1

Edited by Bachus

I think you missed the part where it would take 95 NS skill to make a transmutation potion. It's going to be very rare that anyone would have the ability to make them, so it wouldn't hurt anything to have it.

More alchemy options are always welcome and I like the rigging and instruments required, I don't think it should use NS unless you are directly working with the plants, so the overall Alchemy skill gets more loving. I like the cooldown idea, the installation needs to be drained or something. +1

No to the ninja suggesting of black powder, the reasons are obvious, I don't know why people want an easier way to mine since mining has already been make lighting fast compared to what it used to be . -1

Once again, thanks for all the kind words and likes ;)

As for the cooldown suggested by "Trencal" i did have an idea for that based on Sleep Bonus draining in where the making of each Potion would drain 15 mins Sleep Bonus.

This addon would make Sleep Bonus a valued resource for high end players. It woud also reduce the flak that Rolf and the Dev's get from players saying "the server has been down for hours and all i get is crappy Sleep Bonus"

I think this would change to "OMG i have 5 hrs Sleep Bonus i'm making Potions today"

But i didn't add this into the system as i was thinking most players would not go for that.

Edited by Garit
  • Like 1

Transforming sleep bonus into a resource for the creation of certain items is definitely an interesting and promising idea. :o

• Like 1

personally i'd LOVE to see poisons. Slowing poisons, poisons that sap stamina, poisons that infect wounds and drain hp, etc. Also, the ability to make things like smoke bombs that obscure vision in a large tile radius. Also, dyeable armor. Think of it. a black-dyed set of cloth armor. A dagger dipped in a fast-acting poison. No lantern. Sneak onto an enemies deed, stab him in the back, drop a smokebomb and sprint off while he slowly chokes to death, (unless he has an anti-venom potion laying around.) This just sounds sick to me.

+1 just make the incinerate potion harder to make XD it can be a dangerous, maybe add a "dud" or a "premature failed explosion" at low levels

Again guy's, thanks for all the feedback and likes ;)

All the Potions you make have a Difficulty rating and can go wrong.....sometimes VERY wrong.

Difficulty

Difficulty of a Potion is the same as difficulty of a Priest spell only when making a Potion and you fail there is a change that the Alchemy Table, Glass bottle and the player can be damaged when the Potion fails.

So when it comes to Black powder or any other potion that has a volatile ingredient the % of the player being damaged or the Alchemy Table is high.

Take the Potion below....

Blade Poison

NS skill – 60

Difficulty – 50

Base Potion – (0.10kg) Tar

Prime ingredient – Cochineal (0.20kg)

This Potion is a poison used to coat blades or arrowheads. When a target is hit wih a weapon coated in this poison the target receives the normal weapon damage plus takes lasting poison damage aswell.

In my view making this Potion and if it failed would not make it explode because it does not have that component ...more likely if it failed it would spray the player with the failed Poison.

What's your favorite Potion ?......if you could add in 1 Potion to the game which would it be ? any idea's for potions pls post them. I realy want to see what you guys can come up with :)

• Like 1

On the poison ingredients, Oleander and Belladonna would be better choices since they are in fact poisonous.

Also would like to see two different types of poison one a contact poison ( Belladonna) that does a small amount of damage immediately 1 point per 10 ql and another that does 1-2 points per minute duration at 1 minute per 10 ql ( Oleander ).

• Like 1

Eye of foal and gland of troll,

Meat of spider and fur of wolf,

Bubble bubble, toil and IMPLEMENT THIS