Sign in to follow this  
Sarcaticous

Material Requirements: Walls

I'm ok with 20 bricks for a brick wall or 20 planks for a wood wall. And there's 10 bricks for a brick floor or 5 bricks for a brick floor with an opening. That's all ok, I'm cool with that.

What makes no sense is 20 bricks for a wall with a door or window. Same with a wood wall with a window. Too much material.

Shouldn't a brick wall with a door take maybe 10 bricks with the rest made up of planks for the door? And a brick wall with a window take maybe 15 bricks with a couple planks for the window frame?

Maybe a wood wall with a door would be ok with 20 planks. But a wood wall with a window maybe 15 planks.

If you are going to reduce the material needed for a floor with an opening be consistent and do the same with walls that have openings. And if you have a brick wall with a wood door or wood window frame include some wood in the material requirements.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

I've found it comforting to have consistent material requirements for all wall types, since it makes it easier to predict the material consumption when planning any house. Then you won't have to think about wall configurations in advance while you're making mortar, for example. I don't think floor openings should have lower material requirements either.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

You forgot arched walls too. Those need a material requirement change pretty bad.

I've found it comforting to have consistent material requirements for all wall types, since it makes it easier to predict the material consumption when planning any house. Then you won't have to think about wall configurations in advance while you're making mortar, for example. I don't think floor openings should have lower material requirements either.

But those who will take the time to plan out their buildings layout in advance would be rewarded with having to purchase or make less material to make the walls. Those who don't want to think about what type of walls they want to build in advance can continue to go by the 20 bricks and 20 mortar per wall.

Edited by Laiwyn

If you want to get anal about realizm please realize that in the times this game is set in to make a windowed wall you would first make a wall, with the same amount of materials as any other wall, and then cut out a hole in it. Why? Because it would take MORE material and time to measure and create odd-sized planks required to create a wall in such a way as to leave a hole in the middle and still be structurally secure.

Be thankful the game doesn't require you to knock holes in the walls to make windows after the wall is finished.

And change parapets mats requeriments, is stupid that a wall 1 feet tall with holes take 15 bricks while a tall wall 9 feet take 20.

Very few things are more expensive than convenience.

When the player community pressured the devs into reducing the material requirements for floors and roofs, they got their wish, but it still, to this day calculates the quality outcome based on the original numbers, so we have really low quality floors and roofs which, in some cases, cannot be improved.

I'm all for tweaking the material costs of windows and doors, and arched walls (even though it will completely screw up our planning and accounting prior to big projects), but am absolutely not in favor of any kind of change if it means we'll be left with quality formula bugs like the ones we have now.

We shouldn't have to worry about or curb our suggestions based on the developers' failures and faults.

I guess we first build the whole wall and then bash a hole in it for a window or a door? :)

If you want to get anal about realizm please realize that in the times this game is set in to make a windowed wall you would first make a wall, with the same amount of materials as any other wall, and then cut out a hole in it. Why? Because it would take MORE material and time to measure and create odd-sized planks required to create a wall in such a way as to leave a hole in the middle and still be structurally secure.

Be thankful the game doesn't require you to knock holes in the walls to make windows after the wall is finished.

This is the way professional carpenters do it, for it is indeed much easier to measure and cut in place. Of course masons do not do that because you cannot cut out a window in a brick wall easily without some serious power tools.

This is the way professional carpenters do it, for it is indeed much easier to measure and cut in place. Of course masons do not do that because you cannot cut out a window in a brick wall easily without some serious power tools.

And what planet do you live on, Bizzaro World?

I don't give a hang about realism. I just want materials to represent how much it takes to make the finished product. Maybe when you make a needle it should consume the entire lump and imping will do the same eh? When I make a brick wall I sure as hades don't brick up the whole thing and then take my carbide blade gas powered saw and cut a hole in it for a door or window. Same for a wood wall. I just happen to be of the OPINION (mine not yours) that materials should mirror the finish product. Otherwise why not combine trees and carve a Corbita instead of making individual parts. House is no different than a ship. Takes less wood to make a wall with a hole in it than a wall without a hole in it.

Coming to a server near you. Brick Corbita. Don't need no stickin anchor. It sits on the bottom of the sea. :lol:

Edited by Sarcaticous

And what planet do you live on, Bizzaro World?

I don't give a hang about realism. I just want materials to represent how much it takes to make the finished product. Maybe when you make a needle it should consume the entire lump and imping will do the same eh? When I make a brick wall I sure as hades don't brick up the whole thing and then take my carbide blade gas powered saw and cut a hole in it for a door or window. Same for a wood wall. I just happen to be of the OPINION (mine not yours) that materials should mirror the finish product. Otherwise why not combine trees and carve a Corbita instead of making individual parts. House is no different than a ship. Takes less wood to make a wall with a hole in it than a wall without a hole in it.

Coming to a server near you. Brick Corbita. Don't need no stickin anchor. It sits on the bottom of the sea. :lol:

I was with you up until this point. Yarnevk was just providing some support to your suggestion.... No need to throw the suggestion off the deep end with ridiculous remarks. And anyway obviously you do care a bit about realism otherwise you wouldn't have suggested a more logical material requirement for house wall types.