Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Sheep Panic!

Very cool. I'd always hoped sheep would come in eventually for textiles. Offhand:

Tapestries (requires wall-hanging code though)

Rugs

Mutton

Clothing (see below)

Upholstery

Batting for quilts

Notes on Dyeing the material

Finally, with the impending wool, a new use for the huge tub. Freshly shorn wool doesn't work with a damn for clothing. Fresh is called 'greasy wool' due to high contents of lanolin. It requires the use of detergent to wash it first in a large vat (lye was the common method historically). As a side note, lanolin could be extracted as a by-product of the wool and used as well if you want to expand on the uses for sheep in the dev factory later. Lanolin was used to waterproof some garments and also tents and was used extensively in tanning hides and pelts. There were also health remedies and cosmetics, but you get the idea.

The rub for most is when you want to dye wool. It'll require a new ingredient called a mordant. Using water to dye wool doesn't work. The dye will just bleed out (as much as it rains on Indy, that could get messy, lol). You need ammonia primarily for good dye, and that, during the wurm time period, would come mostly from a highly-sought after commodity of the age: stale urine. :D To make yarn, add something to fine carpentry called a spinning wheel.

If the devs wanted to make an entire new branch of industry for its economy, wool is a great one.

• Like 3

I hate to always be that guy but the tops of the legs on the model could use a little more bulk to them..IMO

Yeah, this. They look a bit sickly atm.

Also, wool caps. I'd wear my wool cap with pride.

Edited by Laiwyn

Wool is also used to make felt for insulation for clothing for boots and shoes.

And here is the lawnmower you wanted for that grass.

They also make good alarms for bad mobs.

Nice Sheep rug be nice.

Now add the invisible ducks i keep hearing. ;):P

Great news for Newzealanders like me!! can finally breed more sheep them wurm population

Remember them rugs I mentioned in a post Wool throw rugs by loom add bear rugs as well. Lamb chops floor + lemon + lamb filet + salt + and a potato high nutrition meal.

I know it's only because I'm scots, but honestly, who wouldn't love to be able to weave tartan for a kilt :)

Oh, and if kilts, they must add some resistance against thistles

Edited by Zenity
  • Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by thorgot, January 23, 2013 - crude, nsfw image
Hidden by thorgot, January 23, 2013 - crude, nsfw image

Trophies and badges of honor cut from the corpses.

20110804_truck-nutz_612mz.jpg

Id like to be able to cut fingers from corpses, skulls, etc.

Sheep can be milked.

Wool may be used to create carpets.

Using a tamed dog, player can lead a flock.

Milk, sheep cheese, meat, wool for healing and new clothing types (robes please!), and sacrifice

Please please please just keep it under Cloth Tailoring, we don't need an extra skill for wool.

Also maybe use animal husbandry for shearing?

As for actual items certainly as many mentioned we need clothing, and I do like the suggestion of armor padding. Cloaks and Robes would be amazing.

'Harvesting' wool as a substitute for cotton, and all the usual meats and goodies, and breeding. And a really good 'baaah' when you brand them. If you could add the growth stages like grass and crops so we know they are ready for a shearing that would be good.

And names beyond horse breeders (dogs,sheep, deer, etc all need name)

Mouseover shows how much wool is on the sheep above 30 Animal Husbandry.

Bred sheep should have names, but it should just be combinations of "ba" "baa" and "baaa".

• Like 5

The sheep is growing wild ! (giant sheep-fro)

• Like 2

The sheep is growing wild ! (giant sheep-fro)

Can you see the sheep that is gone wild hidden in the wild grass of summer though?

New skill - Nature > Shearing -- provides a base ql on the wool produced

New skill - Tailoring > Wool Tailoring

New Fine Carpentry Item - Spinner - Used to convert wool into wool thread or yarn.

Edited by Drpox
  • Like 1

Im for priests robes, Decorative rugs and tapestries to flesh out these houses, wool from shearing sheep. new more nutritious meat for cooking.

New Skill: Knitting. Good for using the harvested (not butchered!) wool to make the items suggested: jumpers, new clothing, satchels, decorative rugs, tapestries, window decorations, etc.

• Like 2

None of this matters because of spawn caps. And for those of us on islands when we can't load animals onto ships which is dumb.