Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Wayward (Indie Roguelike Survival Game)

Have not yet had a chance to try this one out myself but I have read some favorable reviews and it looks very intriguing!

===================

IUPDATE

** Ok so now that Aether & KGB guineapig'd it, I have also been playing it (nonstop) the past couple days and I have to say that I REALLY like this game ^_^ like Dwarf Fortress the game itself is free (at least currently) with a donation button for those who want to support it. I nearly always donate 2X or 3X what I would pay for a game otherwise, simply because I find this system so refreshing...

Anyway if any of you have been on the fence about trying this one, I would really highly recommend it.

There are some things I certainly would like to see -- but right now it reminds me of "early minecraft beta" when the basic gameplay was basically there and only the frills were left to add. Currently the inventory/resource storage system needs some work (you can store things in chests but cannot select what to take out of a chest -- its all-or-nothing fo to get that one item from the bottom you have to take everything out, then put it all back again after you get what you needed). Also right now I live in kind of a "dwarf fortress/moria" type system carved out of a cave, but hopefully they will at some point add various grades of housing construction (thatch hut, log cabin, stone castle etc), which is what I assume to be the longterm plan, given how the rest of the game is setup. You can "kind of" farm mushrooms and thistles but I am hopefully a more complete domesticated farming system might also be in the works.

===================

Alpha testing phase is over, Beta released Jan 19

http://www.unlok.ca/category/wayward/

Subreddit discussion:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Wayward/

misc videos (Lets Plays are toward the end of the list):

Really nice music tracks too:

https://soundcloud.c.../sets/wayward-1

According to the wiki, skills include:

Lumberjacking

Mining

Mycology

Botany

Parrying

Tactics

Swimming

Fletching & Bowcraft

Woodcrafting

Stonecrafting

Tailoring

Leatherworking

Alchemy

Clay Throwing

Glassblowing

Tinkering

Cooking

Camping

* thats from the wiki -- haven't yet unlocked Tailoring/Alchemy but also found a few not on that list, like blacksmithin & fishing:

skills.PNG

wayward_beta4.png

Trailer:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddGR5MT7lw

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Hmm how very 8bit retro... if only we had better online gaming in those days.

EDIT: Wait... this IS multiplayer right? :P

Edited by Klaa

Given it a go, rather enjoying it actually. Some of the mechanics can be a little rough, like one map seed stuck me on a desert island in shark infested waters with no trees to make a boat from XD But yeah, it's fun

I didn't enjoy it to much. But then again, I honestly didn't give it much of a try and wasn't in the mood for a roguelike at the time. Will give it another go tomorrow.

Thought I'd give it a go too, rather enjoyed it until a fire elemental turned up and chased me around the island to my death, found that swimming didn't help to get away from it :(

Imm .. this thing is rather ... addicting ...

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

This is fun Brash, thx for showing this. I find some tasks hard to learn right off but the concept is solid.

Not really a spoiler but if you happen to make a bull boat, keep in mind that using will result in a new map. I will forever miss my established home :*(

I did that also =/ He says he is going to change the system so that you are not suddenly in a new area without warning & no way to ever return.

Some exciting things on the longterm dev map: container management (including inventory containers so you can carry bags to sort your stuff), anatomy & first aid, cotton & spinning wheel, fertilizer, log houses, locked doors, beehives, poisins, salt, weather & climate, lava, thirst, mod manager, snorkeling, map making, chicken farms and ... more! :P

Seems to be influenced by dwarf fortress, minecraft, and maybe unreal world -- which is great for me as I very much like all three of those games ^_^

Brash! I saw you making the exact same post on the Unreal World forums!

Same links and pictures but different words ^_^ I play Unreal World a lot, and since it is also a (Indie Roguelike Survival Game) it was a natural place to share it. I think it's the only other place on the internet I posted it.