Sign in to follow this  
Depends

Smoothing For Mines

I'm tired of looking down and seeing my legs sunk into the rock floor up over the knees. At one point it was even worse and sometimes came up over my hips but the random noise seems to have been turned down a bit.

When making things underground and trying for symmetry the randomness of the floors sometimes ruin the look, especially on curves.

I'd like some sort of "Smooth" action with a chisel, pick, or even concrete, that would act like packing dirt and just flatten the tile noise out a bit. Hopefully looking like the floor next to a reinforced tile does.

It would be nice if it also worked on walls as well, as a way to get smooth walls without reinforcing. Since I do like the rough cave look in some places, just turning down my mine graphics is not a solution.

This poor old man is being eaten alive by the "flat" floor.

sKPJtWrl.jpg

Edited by Depends
  • Like 1

Turn down your cave details a bit and see if it's better. On the lowest setting, there is absolutely no random spikes and uneveness other than the real slopes.

I know you say you don't want to change it, but medium settings should be bareable.

Perhaps a way to flatten just the floor is better, but I think it was suggested previously.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

Well as soon as you put some corpses a few bsb a dozen piles and a forge or two in there the graphical setting hardly matters anymore beyond personal visual preferences.

I think they should really switch that feature from a graphical option, do an attribute of the tile, changeable with mining and stone cutting.

But yes medium is a nice compromise between laser cut tunnels and omg I got fused with the rock..

Edited by Keldun

Well as soon as you put some corpses a few bsb a dozen piles and a forge or two in there the graphical setting hardly matters anymore beyond personal visual preferences.

I think they should really switch that feature from a graphical option, do an attribute of the tile, changeable with mining and stone cutting.

But yes medium is a nice compromise between laser cut tunnels and omg I got fused with the rock..

The screenshot above is taken on medium settings which is what I normally use unless I've dropped an item and it's hidden by the floor bumps. Max settings just look dumb.

Like I said, I do like the natural cave look when I want a cave look, but sometimes when I'm making tunnels or a chamber or something I'd like to be able to smooth it out some.

This is time sensitive as well, that old man can't live forever. I need a way to get him out of the rock!

reinforce...

You didn't actually read anything in this thread did you?

Depends, yes mine floors need more options added to them for those who wish to use them to make their mine floors have a more even look. I would like to see slabs able to be used to pave mine floors, which would then have the effect of making them flat as they do on terrain when applied. When mine floors are slabbed they then should not be able to be mined down, to do this one would have to remove the slab with a shovel the same as above ground. 21 body strength should be required to remove them so that f2p players could no longer destroy mine floors by mining them down and griefer type newbies would not have this option either. I think this method would do a lot to enable us to have more appealing looking mine floors and prevent them from being mined down by those careless types of players.

=Ayes=

reinforcements or min cave details are already the in-game action or out-game settings to accomplish what is desired. Posting that you do not want those solutions and there needs to be a solution?

Edited by yarnevk

Depends, yes mine floors need more options added to them for those who wish to use them to make their mine floors have a more even look. I would like to see slabs able to be used to pave mine floors, which would then have the effect of making them flat as they do on terrain when applied. When mine floors are slabbed they then should not be able to be mined down, to do this one would have to remove the slab with a shovel the same as above ground. 21 body strength should be required to remove them so that f2p players could no longer destroy mine floors by mining them down and griefer type newbies would not have this option either. I think this method would do a lot to enable us to have more appealing looking mine floors and prevent them from being mined down by those careless types of players.

=Ayes=

This would also be a good way of doing it although possibly rough for large projects. I just want a non permanent (reinforcement) way of making this look nicer.

reinforcements or min cave details are already the in-game action or out-game settings to accomplish what is desired. Posting that you do not want those solutions and there needs to be a solution?

Which is why I posted a suggestion thread for a new addition rather than a "here's what is already in the game, just letting you guys know" thread.

Turning off a feature of the game is rarely ever a good solution for something.

Edited by Depends

I have never used reinforcements, but afaik, they are used on the walls (which is just stupid on itself) and only smooth the ground along the wall, not in the middle of a room.

I have never used reinforcements, but afaik, they are used on the walls (which is just stupid on itself) and only smooth the ground along the wall, not in the middle of a room.

Yes, the smoothing you get from the reinforcement continues out from the wall a bit but the other side of that floor tile will start to get rougher. So if you have a reinforced 3 tile wide tunnel or room it will be smooth on the edges and bumpy in the middle.

I think Ayes' way of doing it would probably be best because it would solve other problems at the same time.

Edited by Depends

I like this idea, maybe even add engraving to walls and floors based off of stonecutting skill

+1

Also I think that you should be able to make wood floors and walls in the mines or even make stone block walls maybe using concrete and bricks or something, definitely change the wall and floor textures in the mines. Please add this

I wanted something like this too, was probably going to suggest the ability to reinforce cave floors too. Makes them smooth in addition to not allowing your floors to be lowered.