I will just paste the argument from wikipedia, which redirects corn to maize. Basically, as you will read, the word corn actually means lots of different kinds of plants, and maize is much more specific.

"Maize" is precise, "corn" is ambiguous

"Maize" is the vernacular word that means only the plant that this article is about, in all regional varieties of English. "Corn" has a confusing variety of meanings that vary by locality. In particular, one common meaning of "corn" is the staple cereal crop of a given locality.

3a.
collective singular.
The seed of the cereal or farinaceous plants as a produce of agriculture; grain.

As a general term the word includes all the cereals, wheat, rye, barley, oats, maize, rice, etc., and, with qualification (as black corn, pulse corn), is extended to leguminous plants, as pease, beans, etc., cultivated for food. Locally, the word, when not otherwise qualified, is often understood to denote that kind of cereal which is the leading crop of the district; hence in the greater part of England ‘corn’ is = wheat, in North Britain and Ireland = oats; in the U.S. the word, as short for Indian corn, is restricted to maize (see 5).

5. orig.
U.S.
Maize or Indian corn,
Zea Mays
; applied both to the separated seeds, and to the growing or reaped crop.
corn on the cob
: green maize suitable for boiling or roasting; maize cooked and eaten on the cob.

Wheat, rye, barley, oats, etc. are in U.S. called collectively grain.
Corn-
in combinations, in American usage, must therefore be understood to mean
maize,
whereas in English usage it may mean any cereal; e.g. a
cornfield
in England is a field of any cereal that is grown in the country, in U.S. one of maize.—
Edited by Groam

I really don't see how rice can also be called corn. When I think of corn as a vegetable product I think of a large yellow crop, without thinking of grains or even rice!

As a general term the word includes all the cereals, wheat, rye, barley, oats, maize, rice, etc.,

IMO it's ok as it is without making a database/client change.

There is really no reason to change it, it would just confuse too many people :/

ok first corn isn't evan found in europe, wasn't discovered till 1492 in the New world(for the setting of wurm i would like it removed compeletely)

but if it going to stay it's fine like it is, playing word games will just confuse people(ie: non-english speaking people), the english language is hard enough for english speakers to get right(most don't)

I'm in the Northwest of England and " Corn " is most definately NOT oats. Corn to me is " Corn on the Cob / Sweet corn etc etc " it most certainly isn't one of the "grains " ( which is what OATS / WHEAT are ) or Cereal type crops.

Calling it Corn is perfectly fine.

Edited by Kediec

I'm in the Northwest of England and " Corn " is most definately NOT oats. Corn to me is " Corn on the Cob / Sweet corn etc etc " it most certainly isn't one of the "grains " ( which is what OATS / WHEAT are ) or Cereal type crops.

Calling it Corn is perfectly fine.

Problem with that is it is a Cereal and we should be able to grind it (it was the only Flour in the america's till europe invaded.....africa,asia,australia,and the america's)

who didn't europe invade?