Sign in to follow this  
rolandthian

Merchant Issue

I recently purchased Kami Canal Market on the Celebration server. Upon doing so many ideas and some minor problems came about. But to me, none bigger than the fact that there are three empty or next to empty merchants that are standing here, and to my knowledge, there is no way to fix this?

There was a row of 90 back to back merch stalls.... Now that I am remodeling, that puts these merchants in nowhere land, and is very annoying.

I would like to hear if anyone has an idea for changing this, like maybe deed owner has the option to pack up merch and send to players inventory along with all items on the merchant somehow?

I just know this is going to be extremely frustrating to me as I try to better the area and reinvent the market... Please help!

Good idea. Merchants should have an option to be removed by the deed owner after some period of time. Might be complicated coding to return them and items to the owner though. Good ideas can be tough to code properly, so that is most likely why a lot of them never see the light of day in the game.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Nothing you can do, unless you can contact the owner. I have a couple of merchants on my deed which were owned by a f2p account which has long been deleted.

The advice I've had from CAs is that they will disappear eventually. No idea how long this takes though, as they've been around since before the Epic cluster opened and are still going strong. :(

An option for the deed owner either to dismiss the merchant, or to be able to 'salvage' it in the same way as a boat, would be good.

I will bring up the possibilities of an auto deletion for the merchant when the contract is on a deleted account. I know this won't fix all cases, but it wiould certainly help! As for auto deletion of merchants belonging to active players. there has been code i the past, it's all very complicated, but we may be able to revisit ideas about options for deed owners to at least have some say in where they are.

Afterall, the more players we get in Wurm, the larger the issue will become, especially at prime market locations.

• Like 4

+1 for Hordern

I can't think of an obvious or easy way, but moving a merchant to a different legitimate (building or vendor stand) tile on deed would be awesome, and a great option for mayors, allowing owners of markets to shuffle around and rearrange the merchants to try to improve, expand, or optimize the layout of the market over time.

• Like 1

Also could be usefull for deed owner ( or those with permission) to move a merchant from one square to another.

The wiki needs changed then cause it says mayors can dismiss a merchant from long gone villagers, granted if this was done the person would lose any items and money on the merchant. But most likely those merchants have long been abandoned because kami was mostly a ghost town.

What would be useful is if a mechanism existed where a deed owner could prevent the placing of merchants belonging to a specific player on his deed. On or off isn't really going to be enough when more aggressive competition for sales goes on. A deed owner being able to give his merchants pride of place or the ability to remove aggressive competitors would make owning and promoting an active market deed more worth while.

I agree there should be a way to get rid of long-abandoned merchants. However, I don't think items should be sent to the owners inventory because that would make teleporting items using merchants possible. Money should be sent to the players bank, but not the items on it.

What would be useful is if a mechanism existed where a deed owner could prevent the placing of merchants belonging to a specific player on his deed. On or off isn't really going to be enough when more aggressive competition for sales goes on. A deed owner being able to give his merchants pride of place or the ability to remove aggressive competitors would make owning and promoting an active market deed more worth while.

You can choose who to let drop merchants. Just Turn allow placement of merchant, person drops merchant, then Turn it back off.

You can choose who to let drop merchants. Just Turn allow placement of merchant, person drops merchant, then Turn it back off.

Yes, but after they are placed you can't dismiss them. For a variety of reasons it would be desirable for a deed owner to be able to remove merchants that are no longer welcome at their market. For example, you allow a players merchant to sell goods on your market so long as they don't supply xxx or undercut by yyy. If the player decides to break the agreement, it's only natural you'd want to get rid of the offending merchant who's undercutting your business. Currently once they are placed you can't prevent that.

I can see alot of griefing by allowing a deed owner to dismiss a merchant. Just by the previous post from Busted. I no longer like what you are putting on the merchant so off you go. Way too easy. Deed owners have the ability to allow or disallow. I can understand deleting merchants that belong to deleted accounts. It isn't like that person is ever coming back. That can be a game feature that I can't see anyone disagreeing with. Rest is something I'd hate to see instituted.

Maybe removed merchants could be reclaimed with all the items by accessing deed token? And if the deed is disbanded then the items are teleported to the owner. Just an idea.

I can see alot of griefing by allowing a deed owner to dismiss a merchant. Just by the previous post from Busted. I no longer like what you are putting on the merchant so off you go. Way too easy. Deed owners have the ability to allow or disallow. I can understand deleting merchants that belong to deleted accounts. It isn't like that person is ever coming back. That can be a game feature that I can't see anyone disagreeing with. Rest is something I'd hate to see instituted.

How is that griefing? If I stick a merchant on your deed and tell you im not going to sell tools and then suddenly I start doing so to take away from your thriving tools business I'd guess you'd want to get rid of that merchant if you could. Getting rid of a merchant under these circumstances isn't griefing, it's common sense. If anything, you'd be the one being griefed by the person who placed a merchant and deliberately undercut you in order to steal your business.

Sure, people could randomly decide to evict merchants for whatever reason from their deed but if they did that without just cause how long do you think that market deed is going to keep attracting customers? And if you didn't like the fact a certain market doesn't allow your merchant to trade, go set up your own market and entice people there.

I just simply cant understand the current system, and am very worried that with growing number in the game, this could become very messy. I really want this place to be special and the fact that three merhcants are standing in no mans land right in the middle of main market area... How about...

If account is non active for x amount of days, mayor has right to move his merchant, if the account is deleted, then the option to remove completely...?

Or what if they took decay after a player wasnt active for x amount of days, at 100 damage they return to the owners inventory empty handed?

Im not saying I have the answer, but for a market buyer, I am just upset that I cant give the area a fresh start completely..

Merchants belonging to deleted accounts f2p or bans etc should also be removed.

Merchants not touched by their owner after 90 days should be returned to the owner empty.

It should be the owners Duty to maintain the merchant at least once every 90 days.

Imo.

Edit: How many orphaned merchant items could be removed from the DB by cleaning these up?

Edited by Huserx
  • Like 2

How about linking the merchant to their merchant contract, so the merchant an disappear but the contract holder can make them re-appear somewhere else with their inventory intact. That way deed owner could remove them and the merchant contract reappears in the owners inventory. The merchant in effect is in limbo until the owner places him again. That way the merchant owner wouldn't lose anything as a result.

There'd of course have to be some sort of long timer to stop it being used for transport. Timer would be both for removing the merchant and placing him/her again. Probably also restrict the inventory re-appearing to only the server it was loaded from originally.

We are on a coastal deed with steep hills and every flat square is either carved into the mountains or taken from the lake with sweat and hard labour. There are 3 Merchants here that are not attended and they prevent us from building or expanding since they would end up in our house, which is ridiculous.

The boats are even worse, everyone seems to think they can park their boats here and then never come back.

Merchants should be removed if not attended to for more than 3 months. I don't even see a reason for more than a month to be honest, but whatever.

Deeds should have an option to disallow boats to be moored that are not by a citizen. Major should be able to drag boats out of the deed.