Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

A Comment On Joining The Pristine/release Servers With The Other Servers

Skill decay can really make a huge difference in the way things can be done. Digging slopes, building houses, stone houses, sailing a boat, riding a horse, bashing a fence. Any minute tick in skill can make those tasks impossible. Skill Decay is a very BAD idea.

• Like 2

I prefer to continue this (interesting) discussion in another thread to avoid polluting this one. On the current subject, I'll preconize terrain erosion to make the "old" island appealing even for new players. When I started first, it was on Pristine. And already, the spawn point was awfully builded and scattered with tool boxes. Only Release spawn point still had this "where the hell did I land ??" flavor.

But the main problem joining the cluster remains : what is the place for low skilled players in a world of high skilled ? And I don't speak about land only, but about jobs and trade. Is this interesting to come in a land where your only interest for other players is to be able to help them building their big castle and buy their 80QL items ?

That's why I don't want to join the cluster with the current mechanism. Ever.

• Like 1

And as I've asked before, why is it okay new players a year or two from now, have to go to the new providers of those 80ql items who have less competition on a closed server?

People complain about splitting the player-base, but if Wurm continues to grow then i don't see how this is a problem. In fact, the new servers are already active. The only reasons i've seen people wanting the servers to be linked in a hurry so far, is so they can "set up trade routes"... which seems to translate in to "i want to sell my 90QL items on a server that doesn't have any 90+ skill crafters yet". Unless the server populations get really dire i just think it's unnecessary and could break our economy (and kill off most local traders) even if it's a year down the line. I came back here after some months off for brand new newbie servers, not this, and i think i'm not alone in saying that.

But if they are to be linked, then the checkbox idea sounds good, as long as it's limited to premium players like the other guy said. It'd be too easy to make an alt on Pristine/Release and vote yes/no with a free account. All uniques should be killed at a minimum too.

I'd still rather we just get more of our own "new" servers as and when it's deemed necessary though. Hell, even a "Chaos"-esque PvP map (or just linking us to Chaos/Epic) so all the new v1.0 players can dabble in that after finding their feet would be cool, though i'm not sure how popular that is with people who play Freedom. This is my first time on Freedom, so i'm still getting used to the restriction of not being able to kill annoying neighbours. :D

Edited by Fattox
  • Like 1

Well this is disappointing ,I was so looking forward to Dragon Drama…You killed “our†Dragons and ruined “our†server!! That flame fest could have been worth at least 15 pages of fun reading.

It does not matter to me if the new servers are ever connected to the Freedom Cluster or they start a new cluster. Truth is for the foreseeable future connecting them would do more harm then good.

• Like 1

What about the skill loss you get for being killed?

I don't think its fun losing 0.25 for any skill that you have 90+.. imagine 99+ for a pvp death.. that would make it more fun for freedom people to actually transfer and have some fun, as you only lose your items that you have with you.

They could for example make/buy a chainset+weapon and just have some fun.

EDIT:: WRONG TOPIC LOL

Edited by whykillme

I dont understand the purpose or benefit of linking them at all other then a small cabal on freedom eager for another source of drake.

Keeping them apart allows for some divergence in the style and culture of the two clusters as well as breaking up the economic homogenization in freedom.

What about the skill loss you get for being killed?

I don't think its fun losing 0.25 for any skill that you have 90+.. imagine 99+ for a pvp death.. that would make it more fun for freedom people to actually transfer and have some fun, as you only lose your items that you have with you.

They could for example make/buy a chainset+weapon and just have some fun.

don't you only lose fs when dying in pvp? There's also a passive power on the knowledge meditation path that removes all skill loss from death, with the exception of fs. ;)

what is the place for low skilled players in a world of high skilled ? And I don't speak about land only, but about jobs and trade. Is this interesting to come in a land where your only interest for other players is to be able to help them building their big castle and buy their 80QL items ?

Implying that it wont happen to release/pristine.

Edited by atazs

don't you only lose fs when dying in pvp? There's also a passive power on the knowledge meditation path that removes all skill loss from death, with the exception of fs. ;)

Yea i thought the same, but everyone is telling me now, that you lose skills aswell..?

Edited by whykillme

You always lose fs on death, no matter what. The other .25 losses are totally random, so even if you got 99 weaponsmithing and die 50 times to a pack of green trolls, you may not even lose a single point in that skill. Even then you get a sweet x3 bonus to help you get the lost skill back

Do not connect them as yet, however when they are connected, connect them to the east.

You always lose fs on death, no matter what.

At least one path has an ability that can stop that loss.

I dont understand the purpose or benefit of linking them at all other then a small cabal on freedom eager for another source of drake.

Some of us (many of us, probably) already have other characters on the main freedom cluster and just want to have a chance to gather our characters together. I don't really love playing on multiple servers at once, but I did like the opportunity to start over where everyone is starting over.

Eventually (not yet!) I want to be able to have all of my playable characters together on one server. NONE of that has to do with trading/selling/buying whatsoever.

The new server is also a perfect place for both new but also older players who never got into the grind. I know several people on Pristine who gave up whatever they had on Deliverance to start anew. Although I also have an alt over there and would like to gather my characters too, I feel it should be their decision, eg the regulars on prisrelease, to decide whether and when they want to hook up with the rest of Freedom

I don't see any problem with the servers remaining separate forever. However, something has to be done about people being punished for selling things on the old cluster that are not available on the new cluster. This has been called trolling which it certainly is not.

This needs to be addressed officially to avoid any future complications.

Edited by Sarcaticous

I have to apologize, it seems i have posted my reaction in the wrong topic..LOL

I don't see any problem with the servers remaining separate forever. However, something has to be done about people being punished for selling things on the old cluster that are not available on the new cluster. This has been called trolling which it certainly is not.

This needs to be addressed officially to avoid any future complications.

You mean a CA warned you? Report it to enki or whoever is leading them

+1 to in-game polls. Not just for this but for a lot of features. Great idea.

This

A time will come when the skill level difference between Release/Pristine and the main cluster will be very small.

But we are far from that.

• Like 1

New pvp server for pristine and release.

Chuck%20Norris%20Approves.jpg

Edited by Che

I'm glad to see in-game voting is getting serious consideration!

Check box voting should not be implemented with the idea that majority forces the devs to take that path. Voting should be used as tool so they can get a better idea of what the players want. It should be crystal clear to voters that they are helping but the final decision will always lye with CodeClub.

Their are no reasons everyone can't vote. The devs could attach vote statistics to each player's vote so they can interpret various tends. Statistics could include: has premium, "You have played x days" time, server.

It will encourage people to vote more if the results and attached statistics are publicly displayed. Keep player names and what they voted anonymous.

• Like 1