Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

A Comment On Joining The Pristine/release Servers With The Other Servers

+1 for prem players from pristine/release voting on when to join. Best idea I've heard. At the very least id be for waiting until all uniques are killed by those players (yes may be alts of players who already kill dragons), but, they still have to skill up from 0 to do so.

Thank you for the clear information. I don't actually live on the new servers, but it's great that you're informing everyone and that you plan to create ingame polls.

Seems to me that the servers will be merged eventually but the poll will just determine how much longer until it happens. I wouldn't bet on it keeping them separate forever.

People complain about splitting the player-base, but if Wurm continues to grow then i don't see how this is a problem. In fact, the new servers are already active. The only reasons i've seen people wanting the servers to be linked in a hurry so far, is so they can "set up trade routes"... which seems to translate in to "i want to sell my 90QL items on a server that doesn't have any 90+ skill crafters yet". Unless the server populations get really dire i just think it's unnecessary and could break our economy (and kill off most local traders) even if it's a year down the line. I came back here after some months off for brand new newbie servers, not this, and i think i'm not alone in saying that.

But if they are to be linked, then the checkbox idea sounds good, as long as it's limited to premium players like the other guy said. It'd be too easy to make an alt on Pristine/Release and vote yes/no with a free account. All uniques should be killed at a minimum too.

I'd still rather we just get more of our own "new" servers as and when it's deemed necessary though. Hell, even a "Chaos"-esque PvP map (or just linking us to Chaos/Epic) so all the new v1.0 players can dabble in that after finding their feet would be cool, though i'm not sure how popular that is with people who play Freedom. This is my first time on Freedom, so i'm still getting used to the restriction of not being able to kill annoying neighbours. :D

Kind of adding on to what he's getting at. Why not after the new servers have been live for 7+months link them on the other side of chaos?

That was if you really wanted to just setup shop, you'll have to risk loosing everything by players on the pvp server.

And then that way it will be some what of a if you move, you move! kind of thing and not just said xhours setup a merchant on an alt with lots of tools on it to sell. And check it every few days.

Playing on Release I'd say see where we are in 3 -6 month intervals, if end up with 4 blacksmiths dominating the market, 1 shipbuilder and little money changing hands the protection of a new economy wouldn't be as big a deal. Also by that time the land rush will be long over and people will have settled in, like some others have mentioned I'd like to eventually reunite my chars on one deed, but am more that willing to wait to give those truly new to the game their time to enjoy a chance to be at the top, I think as long as people feel the economy is working and meets people expectations it works, otherwise it just becomes what Freedom was years ago when it was a small server with few top tier crafters.

Kind of adding on to what he's getting at. Why not after the new servers have been live for 7+months link them on the other side of chaos?

That was if you really wanted to just setup shop, you'll have to risk loosing everything by players on the pvp server.

And then that way it will be some what of a if you move, you move! kind of thing and not just said xhours setup a merchant on an alt with lots of tools on it to sell. And check it every few days.

-1 to this from me.

PvE players should NEVER be forced onto a PvP server in my opinion, not even if they are just passing through to get to somewhere else.

• Like 5

A million times what Kediec said. We've already had our incident with PvP on PvE, and we all know how that went.

• Like 3

You could completely dodge that risk by putting on alt on one of those servers, letting that alt manage your merchant and then mailing stuff over to it (yeah, not everything can be mailed, but most stuff can). No need to pass through Chaos with stuff then.

I think forcing PvE players to have to go through a PvP server to get to other PvE servers is a very bad setup that will simply result in lots of grief and once again create conflict between PvE and PvP play styles. All the fighting on the forums back in the day between pvp and pve players was lovely, but it could really do without more of that.

What would be the point of leaving those two servers - and, supposedly, future "virgin servers" - separated? I can understand why they are isolated now - no master crafters around, uniques still alive etc., but there will come a day when the server will be just like the others.

Preventing players from other servers from "flooding and breaking the market"? Even if this was to happen, I'm sure many customers would be happy to see "market breaking down". And I really don't believe this would happen, just sailing from Cele to Exo gives access to drastically cheaper items, but I see no signs of "breakdown" on Cele. Trade barriers have been tried many times across history, and they always benefit a few chosen, while leading to general backwardness.

"Different style and culture"? Let's be serious.

[offtopic] while you're adding checkboxes, Mr. Rolf, add the Global Chat Killswitch.

• Like 2

I see no reason what so ever that they ever have to be connected.

As a matter of fact it may be a good idea to make more like clusters like this happen every year.

Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, otherwise burying one's head in the sand would actually be a viable form of defense. This has been proven not to work with rather dire consequences for the dude burying his head.

• Like 2

Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Have a heart, it's not his fault. New research shows that 10% of graduating high school students in the U.S. lack basic object permanence skills.

Report: http://www.theonion....ina-many,30903/

Edit: Silliness aside, perhaps announcing up front the creation of a permanently isolated cluster would resolve this conflict. Then nobody anywhere, ever, could say they didn't know. Alternately, making it perfectly crystal clear (instead of intentionally vague as was done for Pristine/Release) that every single cluster and node will eventually be connected to the rest of the world would also end the debate.

Edited by Garis
  • Like 2

As a matter of fact it may be a good idea to make more like clusters like this happen every year.

It would increase the community more and everyone gets to know new players if they are to be connected, i think they should be connected at some point. But if rolf makes a (Hopefully premium-only in-game poll for that, we can find out). At some point

• Like 1

they should be connected, eventually, perhaps like 18-24 months time depending on how things are going, then roll out a new "newbie cluster" to be connected in another 18-24 months (again depending on how things are going) after that; depending on population growth and development/updates of Wurm and continue in this fashion.

this would give newer players to the game in the future that newbie feeling for a good while, and then be intergrated with the rest of the community at a later date.

-1 to this from me.

PvE players should NEVER be forced onto a PvP server in my opinion, not even if they are just passing through to get to somewhere else.

A million times what Kediec said. We've already had our incident with PvP on PvE, and we all know how that went.

You could completely dodge that risk by putting on alt on one of those servers, letting that alt manage your merchant and then mailing stuff over to it (yeah, not everything can be mailed, but most stuff can). No need to pass through Chaos with stuff then.

I think forcing PvE players to have to go through a PvP server to get to other PvE servers is a very bad setup that will simply result in lots of grief and once again create conflict between PvE and PvP play styles. All the fighting on the forums back in the day between pvp and pve players was lovely, but it could really do without more of that.

Carebears need to stop crying about having to place a little risk into their game play. As Ecrir said you COULD mail things across leaving an alt sit at a market. But it would cost you as your bypassing the risk factor. Wurm needs more risk as theres next to nothing to lose other then if you didnt deed it or enclose it right. There should be riskes if you want to profit from new frontiers. Just semi afk sailing isnt enough in my eyes. Scraps on fail have been removed making wurm way to easy. There should be some hard paths added back into the game.

And pvp is not being forced on you. If you dont want to fight dont cross to the other side

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

[...]. There should be some hard paths added back into the game.

And pvp is not being forced on you. If you dont want to fight dont cross to the other side

Gameplay type/modes: PVP, PVE

Just because you like one more than the other, does not mean the other is invalidated. Just as if you choose to play one mode, you should not have to change your gameplay mode from one to the other just because you are travelling.

Not everyone on the "carebear" servers levels FS, so you're basically asking for free kills, because not everyone has the coin or patience to gather player guards.

why is discussion about PvP coming up in a thread about PvE?

crossing from one PvE "cluster" to another PvE "cluster" should not involve PvP, its illogical

From how the chaos server is setup it rather easy to sail across without seeing anyone in local or land for that matter. So getting killed would be maybe 1 out of 5000

its not like you'll have to fight 30players each way just to get to the other side... you'd be lucky if you see anyone as chaos is rather quiet

Unless you knew that it was to become a control point between servers.

Last time I checked, I always spawn in the same general spot on server/map transfer. If they were to connect the servers as proposed (far side of Chaos/Wild) I'm willing to bet there would be a bit of an increase of boat raiding/camping on those server spawn spots/areas.

But thats an easy fix, the staff would just need to change the server spawn point to how they work crossing the other pve servers so where you cross is where you'll spawn (cross at 1x 20y spawn at 84x 20y used http://gmapuploader.com/iframe/Be05HbJIXv)

its not that hard, yes there will need to be a great number of changes before hand and as i remember the staffs looking to work on chaos now

The new servers will be joined with the existing freedom cluster when it's time, which I don't see happening in many months. Someone asked if it could take 2 years, and yes there is no set time limit, but I have a hunch that it's going to happen before that.

If people on those servers strongly oppose to joining until then and there are no other strong reasons to keep the cluster together that's how long it may take. I think many of you can make advanced estimates out of this information and since I don't have any more at the moment that's what we have to live with. If you absolutely _have_ to know because you can't plan otherwise.. I suggest you.. reconsider :)

We may add some checkbox that players on those servers can click which shows if they're opposed or pro joining. This will give a good indicator.

I surely hope this checkbox considers the pristine communitys oppinion on the matter comparred to everyone else because I am sure if there was one, most people on pristine would say know and most people outside of pristine (the majority) would say yes

Rolf, I strongly oppose connecting pristine to the older server.

The launch of wurm 1.0 needs its own pristine cluster that should never be connected to beta players.

The other day I rode my horse to see the green dragon, the first time I'm ever seeing a dragon in Wurm. it was really an amazing experience. I've been searching for this experience my whole wurm life. just so I could realize that one day i would fight along side all of pristine and battle this dragon, all the same people who built the whole island and fought off hundreds of creatures and tended a thousand wounds and sawed a million planks, we fight hard for our land, our bounty, our community and the chance to experience pristine and 1.0 from a new place that cant be touched by anything old.

This is so much fun I cant tell you how much fun I'm having I've been having so much fun I haven't even had time to worry about this stuff so please don't ruin it.

if inde needs a new island with their own dragons by all means give it to them, give them 2 and then they will have 7 seas to sail.

but please let pristine be its own cluster from 1.0 on.

Thank you

Edited by Aum
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why people are talking about how they'll have to pass through PvP servers to get to other PvE servers. They could easily position the PvP servers to be arms off the side of the PvE servers. Make the PvP servers just a single map that branches from the side of the "line" shaped PvE layouts we seem to get most of the time.

Aum, I understand. But you do realize that in a few months all the dragons will be dead, and every piece of land will be touched by terraformers, right? Why do you want to forbid yourself sailing to another server? Why do you want to lock yourself in?

I suppose many players opposing the connection are simply old players dreaming about becoming monopolists on one of the isolated servers, which is so much easier if other crafters are prevented from moving to your area. They use fearmongering to scare new players, spreading visions of mysterious armies coming to take over the land, and markets breaking from influx of imported goods. There is a fundamental flaw in their propaganda, because if it is possible to dominate the cluster, it is even more feasible to dominate a closed-border server! And, as a side note: „market breaking†means that you could buy for 1s something that the monopolist would really love to sell you for 2s or more.

Is that worth to give up our liberty to travel between servers and enjoy one world without barriers?

Code Club obviously gets higher (short-term) revenues from separated servers, and so we should respect the fact that we are being asked for opinion. Having this voice, please vote for united Freedom Isles, not for isolated Prison Isles.

• Like 3