Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

A Comment On Joining The Pristine/release Servers With The Other Servers

The new servers will be joined with the existing freedom cluster when it's time, which I don't see happening in many months. Someone asked if it could take 2 years, and yes there is no set time limit, but I have a hunch that it's going to happen before that.

If people on those servers strongly oppose to joining until then and there are no other strong reasons to keep the cluster together that's how long it may take. I think many of you can make advanced estimates out of this information and since I don't have any more at the moment that's what we have to live with. If you absolutely _have_ to know because you can't plan otherwise.. I suggest you.. reconsider :)

We may add some checkbox that players on those servers can click which shows if they're opposed or pro joining. This will give a good indicator.

• Like 22

Sounds good to me.

When you start to get to the point you think it's is time to consider linking it to the other servers, maybe then you could add that checkbox for those playing on Pristine and Release, see if they feel they are ready or should wait longer for it.

Sounds good to me.

When you start to get to the point you think it's is time to consider linking it to the other servers, maybe then you could add that checkbox for those playing on Pristine and Release, see if they feel they are ready or should wait longer for it.

Makes it sound like the rest of us dont get a say. Only the people on Pristine and Release. If the checkbox is to be implemented down the track, make it fair and for all of freedom. imo.

Edited by Lolly1
  • Like 4

We should just get our own "Wild" Server, and never connect with the other servers ;)

Question: what happens if/when we get another freedom server then? Which 'cluster' does it go to?

Makes it sound like the rest of us dont get a say. Only the people on Pristine and Release. If the checkbox is to be implemented down the track, make it fair and for all of freedom. imo.

Imo, the people there new or alt paid to be there, so it seems perfectly reasonable to be up to them.

• Like 1

Well, only those on Pristine and Release should have a say in my opinion. Those servers have a very new economy and Uniques available that no-one on there is close to killing yet.

When the 2 clusters are linked it is the Pristine & Release servers that will take the massive economy changes the hardest, not the well established economy of the other cluster with its 100 faiith 80+ channeling / high Soul priests etc.

Much like those on Wild wanted the pvp choices to be down to those that actually played on there and not the ones that only have interest in PvE , which is how it should be as well.

• Like 6

Question: what happens if/when we get another freedom server then? Which 'cluster' does it go to?

Depends which clster needs the space surely? If it's Freedom 1 that is full, add one there, if it's Freedom 2 that's full, add one there...

Well, only those on Pristine and Release should have a say in my opinion. Those servers have a very new economy and Uniques available that no-one on there is close to killing yet.

When the 2 clusters are linked it is the Pristine & Release servers that will take the massive economy changes the hardest, not the well established economy of the other cluster with its 100 faiith 80+ channeling / high Soul priests etc.

Much like those on Wild wanted the pvp choices to be down to those that actually played on there and not the ones that only have interest in PvE , which is how it should be as well.

Which is why i'd like to vote. Id like things to stay as they are for the reasons you said here...as per first post i made.

But alas, not all think like me. well played. lol

If it did add another to the pris cluster tho, then everyone on that server would demand an extension to keep it separate. Potentially that could go on forever. If people demanded a true 'wilderness' they'd want a 3rd Freedom cluster.

Is that the future? Lost of little clusters? No sailing between like one virtual world? At what stage do we start using servers based on geographic locations in the real-world? I mean you need to consider these routes early, especially with Rolf leading the charge.

(I realise I'm just babbling, not much sleep).

It needs to be premium only Pristine/Release voters though, otherwise vote would get stacked either way by those making free alts just to be able to checkbox the vote as they hit spawn. Yes it cuts out honest f2p but they are already cut out of having a game future being limited to no shipping, no horsing around and limited skills so tradewinds blowing in highskills really does not affect their opportunities.

A way around this is to not announce the vote ahead of time, and when you do say valid voters are 1mo actives f2p or p2p.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 3

I didn't see any opportunity to join clusters as the current skills mechanism makes the older players the higher skilled. And these kinds of players didn't need anyone to do anything.

If skills are managed differently, it would not be a problem. For example, not used skills should decrease...

+1 to in-game polls. Not just for this but for a lot of features. Great idea.

• Like 2

Thank you Rolf for responding

This will allow the players with accounts on the main freedom cluster and pristine&release cluster

To figure out what they can do. And if they let accounts lapse/sale

I don't care either way I would like to get to the server someday with my main but I am fine if they stay apart too.

I didn't see any opportunity to join clusters as the current skills mechanism makes the older players the higher skilled. And these kinds of players didn't need anyone to do anything.

If skills are managed differently, it would not be a problem. For example, not used skills should decrease...

So during that period of school or life kicking in & not being able to quit we lose skills? -1

• Like 1

Skill decay used to be in the game and was an enormous disincentive to come back to the game after taking a break. For example, the only reason I play now is that skill decay was removed. I'm sure many others who were around back then feel the same way.

• Like 1

Rolf, are you adverse to having something like a 'goal' to hit before they can be joined? Like, for example, once one unique on each server is killed they can 'graduate' to the rest of the freedom servers, or something like that?

• Like 1

Many players find many things to do with low skill to gain employment on the older Freedom cluster. Just because there are people with higher skills, doen't mean they want to do everything themselves.
  • Like 1

What I was thinking about is a kind of system allowing to highly specialize if you want, but not everywhere. Wurm is a social game, some are so skilled they can play alone.

For example, all the skills but one (the highest) above 90 decays. All the skills but 3 above 80. All but 5 above 70 and so on.

Everybody could still do anything they want. But you must choose where you want to be the best.

Skill decay was AWFUL. LETS not do that again.

Previously anything over 70 skill would decay, I'm sorry but i don't invest 100 hours skilling to 90 just for 50 hours of it to crumble away.

• Like 3

Removing skill decay was by far one of the best updates Rolf has ever done, so please don't tempt him into reverting that decision.

• Like 1

What I was thinking about is a kind of system allowing to highly specialize if you want, but not everywhere. Wurm is a social game, some are so skilled they can play alone.

For example, all the skills but one (the highest) above 90 decays. All the skills but 3 above 80. All but 5 above 70 and so on.

Everybody could still do anything they want. But you must choose where you want to be the best.

WHERE is the dislike BUTTON!

• Like 8

I'm happy with this, originally I was pretty upset existing characters had no option but, given the fact I have now paid for a second account to be there I'd rather them not connect them until at least the uniques are gone. Good call Rolf.