Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

Java Temporary Files.

For several days along with all sorts of various disconnects that are probably unrelated I have had multiple incidents of my entire laptop crashing to reboot. My hard disk lamp seemed to never go out, and my fan was working overtime.

I'm not sure how much it will fix but I think I have discovered at least a part of the problem. It might also help some others.

By default Java had set itself to use my entire harddisk for it's temporary files...all of it.

To correct this to something more reasonable.

Open the Java Control Panel inside the Windows Control Panel.

Select the settings from "Internet Temporary Files". Look at how much space Java is currently claiming from your harddisk.

Reset the amount it is allowed to use to something you feel is more reasonable. I have seen posts in various forums that 100-200Mbs should be enough. I personally have given it 400Mb.....a pretty big decrease from the 32K Mb it was claiming before.

Delete the current temp files and reboot your computer.

I cannot guarantee this will fix all your problems, but I haven't had a further laptop crash since I did it - and the game seems to be playing somewhat better than it has been in the last couple of days - which quite frankly have been something of a nightmare.

Anyway - if you are having all kinds of problems at the moment - this is worth a try.

Did you have your video crash a lot with any of your problems?

The setting is actually to control how java webstart handles program code and libraries it downloads for java webstart (jnlp) applications.