Sign in to follow this  
Tazuras

Has The Client Dev Team Ever Considered Integrating An Html Browser?

I was just curious if this had ever been considered.

I think it would help a good deal in making the game more usable as player could access the full wiki (which is a fairly comprehensive documentation set) in game and see how to make all the sub components for making things and follow hyperlinks without having to jockey windows or use multiple monitors. It would also let players better multitask when performing repetitive tasks in game.

Additionally there are open source java based web browsers out there that you could probably acquire usage rights to at a nominal fee (if any) to minimize development time, such as Lobo or more commercial options such as JWebEngine.

Edited by Tazuras

-1 to integrating full HTML engine (IMHO this would cause more problems than it would bring benefits)

+1 to making wiki hyperlinks clickable.

Eve online does it just fine. And I don't think it would be as buggy if someone else did it and has already worked out the vast majority of bugs, especially a commercial company that offers support ;), though ya never know :D

I do agree that click-able links is pretty important though, that and being able to search the wiki from in game instead of having to know the article name.

Eh... I don't know. I've never been a fan but that does not mean I'm opposed.

Do I think it will ever happen? no.

Eve online does it just fine. And I don't think it would be as buggy if someone else did it and has already worked out the vast majority of bugs, especially a commercial company that offers support ;), though ya never know :D

I do agree that click-able links is pretty important though, that and being able to search the wiki from in game instead of having to know the article name.

Eve uses chromium/awesomium and they went through quite a bit of engineering to shield that thing from the game itself. There are also javascript methods to let the client do things. The old browser even had some bidirectional capabilities.

I'd support a browser in Wurm only if it had similar capabilities to the browser in Eve. Without those additions, it's just bloat..I already have a capable browser on my Desktop.