Sign in to follow this  
Bachus

Hitching Post

It seems the old post about this has been archived so I thought now that 1.0 has been stabilized it would be a good time to ressurect items we would like to see added to the game.

A hitching post would be a great addition to the game making Inns more useful and also allow visitors to a settlement a secure place to hitch thier horse so it will not wander off .

If possible it would be best to be coded so that only the person who hitched the horse or the mayor if on a deed, could unhitch it. If not then permisssions similar to a large cart would do where they could be set for friends, citizens, and allies, or everyone ( they at least would not have their horse wander off even if it was not secure).

hitching-post-0.jpg

Wood design

hitching-post.jpg

Iron design

They could be made available in wood,iron, or other metals (possibly stone but not sure what that would look like ) for decoration.

• Like 8

Yep, or better yet I think the thread you are talking about turned into just hitching animals to lamps and fence posts themselves, so that nothing new texture wise would have to be added to the game, just a few things adjusted to allow hitching to said items :D

Yep, or better yet I think the thread you are talking about turned into just hitching animals to lamps and fence posts themselves, so that nothing new texture wise would have to be added to the game, just a few things adjusted to allow hitching to said items :D

From a coding standpoint that would be much more difficult than creating a new item. Also this would allow deedholders to designate an area where it was alright to put your horse; like a temple, inn, marketplace, or even crafting area rather than just having them parked everywhere. :)

Edited by Bachus

From a coding standpoint it might be difficult to add a coupling between horses and objects. Might be easier if horses could have a 'tethered' state. Then you just need a list of 'tether-able' objects.

I'd suggest the following:

To tether a horse you open its inventory and activate reins (giving reins a use) then right click a tether-able object and select 'tether'. At this point the horse will no longer move. To un-tether a horse you simply right click horse and click un-tether. When un-tethering you need to make the horse the object you select rather than what it's tied to so there's no need to store the mapping. Yeah the fence/sign etc could be removed but it doesn't really matter and you don't have complicated 'what if' cases to deal with if you never factor it in in the first place.

Possible tether-able objects could be: Wooden or iron fences/gates, trees, lamps, signs, added hitching posts etc. Basically anything you could reasonably tie the reins to (i.e. not stone fences).

I wouldn't bother with complicated permissions, that's already manageable through the taming mechanism on freedom and has no real purpose on the PvP servers.

edit: That's just weird, writing my post while Bachus posted his, both started with the exact same 4 words

Edited by belthize

Recommended a thousand times.

Every time I'll +1 it.

Its uses make wurm more realistic.

Would you really (IRL) Ride your cart or horse to someones house, or a market, and ride it all day looking at the stores?

Or throw your horse in a field being like "Whatever"?

No, You'd hitch it somewhere, such as old time taverns or the like.

We need this.

+1.

why not just modify the "stay" command from taming and add it to an item?;)

+1

This is the first. Nor the last request for this feature

I would like a manage feature for these on deeds.

--------

Link to old post
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/70563-hitching-posts/page__hl__%2Bhitching+%2Bpost

I'm going to -1 it until we get OK from devs that a hitching post is not going to unhitch your horse on crashes like unhitching from a cart happens now.

From a coding standpoint it might be difficult to add a coupling between horses and objects. Might be easier if horses could have a 'tethered' state. Then you just need a list of 'tether-able' objects.

I'd suggest the following:

To tether a horse you open its inventory and activate reins (giving reins a use) then right click a tether-able object and select 'tether'. At this point the horse will no longer move. To un-tether a horse you simply right click horse and click un-tether. When un-tethering you need to make the horse the object you select rather than what it's tied to so there's no need to store the mapping. Yeah the fence/sign etc could be removed but it doesn't really matter and you don't have complicated 'what if' cases to deal with if you never factor it in in the first place.

Possible tether-able objects could be: Wooden or iron fences/gates, trees, lamps, signs, added hitching posts etc. Basically anything you could reasonably tie the reins to (i.e. not stone fences).

I wouldn't bother with complicated permissions, that's already manageable through the taming mechanism on freedom and has no real purpose on the PvP servers.

edit: That's just weird, writing my post while Bachus posted his, both started with the exact same 4 words

The reason I said that would be harder is that mechanic already exists for carts and could just be applied to a new item where what you are suggesting would have to have a new code and applied to multiple already existing items changing the way all of those function would require more work than creating one new item and applying an existing code. Basically a hitching post would just be a cart that does not move from a coding standpoint.

Basically a hitching post would just be a cart that does not move from a coding standpoint.

Which is why I said no point in doing this until they fix cart unhitching by server crash.

Which is why I said no point in doing this until they fix cart unhitching by server crash.

I doubt that problem will ever be fixed. It would require an ongoing backup of horse and cart positions wich would lead to major lag creating more problems than it would solve.

Hi,

I doubt that problem will ever be fixed.

Sad times. I don't know the code, but if it's not possible to retain the situation after a safe reboot then we're all doomed. Such code will have other flaws too, and run havoc sooner or later. I don't expect it to be this way, I just assume it hasn't been handled yet because of so much ways more important things to code ...

Anyways.

Just see, Protunia has joined the fray!!! :wub:

+1, did like it the last 10 times already it has been suggested!

Have fun!

Ill +1 this as well. But i would like the horse to stayt hitched to post in the event the server crashed or you crashed.

-1 didnt like em the last 10 times they have been suggested.

lol typical protunia XD i dont see anything wrong with this i want this made it would be awesome to have them instead of a "public corral" where you toss your horse and hope you dont disconnect and get stuck losing it on a market deed +1