Sign in to follow this  
Gone420

Option To Go Back To Old Models

Could we get a option to go back to the old models?

Currently i turn off animations and turn player texture size down to minimum, simply because, whenever someone pops my local i get a massive frame drop, often going down to 0fps for about a minute, and if a large amount of people pop my local, then i have to restart my client 50% of the time, it's rather annoying, and can be deadly on a pvp server (which im on)

Last time this was suggested, I think a client dev stated that having duplicates of every item would be too much of a strain. Or maybe that was about something else...

Of course, many things may simply look ridiculous with the old models (multistorey houses may not fit together, players might not line up with old horse models, etc etc).

If it can be easily done, sure +1 I like choice and variety. If it isn't easy, or can't be done, then what you need is probably other optimizations of the game (or a better pc!)

Last time this was suggested, I think a client dev stated that having duplicates of every item would be too much of a strain. Or maybe that was about something else...

Of course, many things may simply look ridiculous with the old models (multistorey houses may not fit together, players might not line up with old horse models, etc etc).

If it can be easily done, sure +1 I like choice and variety. If it isn't easy, or can't be done, then what you need is probably other optimizations of the game (or a better pc!)

i mostly meant character(horse too i guess) models really, theyre the only thing that gives me performance issues

I think there should be a way to turn off animations. That would fix a lot of these problems.

I think there should be a way to turn off animations. That would fix a lot of these problems.

There is a way too turn them off, and i do have them turned off, but even so whenever someone comes into my local my game almost kills itself

+1

Whenever a enemy disembarks boats or horses, the model doesn't load for me for roughly 20 seconds.

Would be better with some general client optimization.

Using a a Intel Core i7 920 and with 8GB of ram im able to have 3 clients running with out problems caused my other players.

how ever if my 3 client are close ingame, i sometimes get quite a bit of lag or low fps

If it is specifically the new character models causing the bulk of the lag, maybe we can just extend the "Phobia Toggle" to also become a "Player Lag Toggle" in which all animal and player models get represented by one single low-lag placeholder model (you mouseover to see what it really is):

green-blob-th.pnggreen-blob-th.pnggreen-blob-th.png

town mayor young fat deer venerable starving champion hell scorpion

• Like 2

If it is specifically the new character models causing the bulk of the lag, maybe we can just extend the "Phobia Toggle" to also become a "Player Lag Toggle" in which all animal and player models get represented by one single low-lag placeholder model (you mouseover to see what it really is):

We seriously need these green things in game.

• Like 4

That is really amusing. At the same time, it's sad because i would probably use it (better that than waiting indefinitely for the client to un-freeze).

• Like 1

it helps alot of you reduce the player texture size inside the client :o its standard is 4069 per player! which is huge

We are working on optimizations for the player.

it helps alot of you reduce the player texture size inside the client :o its standard is 4069 per player! which is huge

It definitely helps. I'd reduced mine to 512 and things were good then bumped it back to 2048 for some reason and forgot. Nearly died when wandering around BL-E and my computer locked up when we ran into a few folks (escaped at 1% health when I relogged).

I've since reset all my canned settings to 512.

I would really really reeeaaally like animations to be truely "off' I have animations turned off in my game options but things like the Boats rocking, making me motion sick.. the rest i can deal with... though for lag sake id prefer to not have to have any animations on ever... i was perfectly happy with the old static gliding animation for walking etc lol and the old simpler models.. would be awesome.. My youngest brother got my old laptop as a hand me down.. it used to be able to play wurm with the old simple toon models.. but its can't anymore, it lags freezes and crashes constantly if anyone else is in local of him.

I don't like this suggestion, mainly because it offers a lazy fix. People should be able to enjoy the new textures, they shouldn't have to downgrade because bugs aren't fixed. No models or animations are supposed to behave the way the Wurm set currently does, this is just sad. The current ones should be optimized ASAP in my opinion.

Turning the sound off improves the game performance significantly, and that fix is just insane because it makes people who enjoy the sounds choose between full game-experience and being able to play.

-1. The game needs solutions and bug fixes, not cheap fixes where people have to settle for less because these kind of things aren't prioritized.

ive had it reduced to the lowest since 1.0 release

And Areis while i agree that people should be able to enjoy the new textures whithout problems, i simply don't care about them(new textures), i played the game for about 3 years before 1.0 release, i dont care about animations or pretty character models or i wouldve quit the game long ago,

and who knows when theyll be optimized, so why not add this in, we have a phobia mode so why cant we have a "pre-1.0 models" mode