Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Probable Upcoming Changes To Chaos

Hello,

We just ran a poll here in City Hall with regards to the Chaos server. A poll in a forum with unlimited registration of course has limited credibility, but the current bad situation combined with the comments and the comparatively low percentage of people voting down PvP changes gives an image that is much more difficult to question than to acknowledge.

That image is that people want more PvP which means that you should make preparations for a much more dramatic Chaos server, where your deed may become target for raiding.

I am going to look at adding custom kingdoms to the Chaos server like on the Epic servers. These will not be allowed to reach or affect the rest of the Freedom cluster. There are questions with how to treat accounts that leave the server or return in various ways but it may be possible to solve in a decent way. Most probably, accounts will have to be set to the normal Freedom kingdom in case they leave for another server in the Freedom cluster.

The other variant is to expand on the alliances, so that all alliances are at war and may raid eachother, and unallied villages are considered their own alliance. If custom kingdoms are added they will not be considered at war.

• Like 28

The first thing to prepare for is that we may make it so you can pass walls and fences with much damage (like 50+). The reason for this is that maybe raiders will save some walls and fences instead of totally destroying them so that you don't have to rebuild from scratch. Hopefully it may remove some feeling of grief to raided deeds. Damage to walls and repair time will be adjusted a bit at the same time.

this is really the only thing i have a problem with. in my opinion it would make raiding way easier, and honestly, if someone really wants to completely demolish a deed, something like that isn't gonna stop them.

other than that, everything seems alright to me, thanks a ton!

The first thing to prepare for is that we may make it so you can pass walls and fences with much damage (like 50+). The reason for this is that maybe raiders will save some walls and fences instead of totally destroying them so that you don't have to rebuild from scratch. Hopefully it may remove some feeling of grief to raided deeds. Damage to walls and repair time will be adjusted a bit at the same time.

This isn't really something that is broken, so please leave it alone, it doesn't require changes. If someone wants to grief a deed, they will do it anyway. If someone thinks breaking one wall per house is griefing they need to reconsider living on a pvp server.

• Like 8

People will completely take down walls anyway. Not worth the risk to get trapped inside a fence or building if it just takes 1-2 repairing actions to close the wall/fence again but a complete catapulting crew to open it. It's like an unlocked gate, a death trap.

• Like 4

does that mean this will happen in all freedom servers? sounds like a disaster for people with enclosures

In terms of voting - surely unlimited registrations shouldn't be a problem if you can link active premium accounts to forum accounts. Failing that, maybe for future major votes a one-use item (similar to the mirror) could be added to player inventories with a question attached - the results of such a question stored in your db. Make the item have a decay rate to match when you want the vote to end. People paying for >1 account deserve >1 vote, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

• Like 1

OH MY GOD, YES.

As for the kingdoms, sounds really awesome, thanks rolf.

As for the damage fences, no thanks. The reason i do not think this will work is because enemys can trap you on deed by simply repairing behind you - I will still catapult through the fences completely anyway because i dont want to get trapped inside.

• Like 7

This isn't really something that is broken, so please leave it alone, it doesn't require changes. If someone wants to grief a deed, they will do it anyway. If someone thinks breaking one wall per house is griefing they need to reconsider living on a pvp server.

+1, It ain't broken, don't fix it.

For the non-PVP servers, everybody will be confused that you can walk through walls (NOT new player friendly)

For the PVP-server, they will break the entire wall to prevent being locked inside. If they want to tear down the place, they'll do it. Otherwise they'll just cut a path and leave.

the kingdom idea is an awesome one, the walking through walls at 50+ damage really isn't worth doing imo. as they said people will grief you if they honestly want to, and repairing walls can take a lot longer than rebuilding

A separate but very important aspect of Chaos to deal with as well is Farwalker Amulets. Dragon armor doesn't really bother me because it doesn't make someone invincible, you can kill them and take their armor. But the amulets, someone can just outrun you by far and get away safely - or chase you down.

A simple solution was mentioned in the other thread was that they could just be disabled from usage with enemy in local, the same way twigs work.

• Like 7

it's an awesome idea about the amulets, but wasn't the reason they were added was to escape the enemy? (personally i like your idea btw, gary)

A separate but very important aspect of Chaos to deal with as well is Farwalker Amulets. Dragon armor doesn't really bother me because it doesn't make someone invincible, you can kill them and take their armor. But the amulets, someone can just outrun you by far and get away safely - or chase you down.

A simple solution was mentioned in the other thread was that they could just be disabled from usage with enemy in local, the same way twigs work.

People bought FW ammys under the impression that they work how they are atm. Rather then nutering the FW ammys, why not remove them from the game at 1s per charge. That would be the only fair way to do this.

• Like 5

Any expectations on limiting free account access to Chaos to reduce the spy problem? Yes, it won't go away, but that conversation about premium accounts being considered individuals and thus not spies has been had many times. So while it's not really possible to ever fix the issue due to the game being what it is, I suspect everyone involved would prefer the restriction. Having said that, being able to locate and kill anyone rather than just enemy alliances is a big help ;)

• Like 1

People bought FW ammys under the impression that they work how they are atm. Rather then nutering the FW ammys, why not remove them from the game at 1s per charge. That would be the only fair way to do this.

it wouldnt be the first time an update made something people spend a lot of money on useles or not as usefull as it was before and giving people to option to get money for something that changed now would be unfair to the people the lost money in previous changes and didnt get any money for it

Any expectations on limiting free account access to Chaos to reduce the spy problem? Yes, it won't go away, but that conversation about premium accounts being considered individuals and thus not spies has been had many times. So while it's not really possible to ever fix the issue due to the game being what it is, I suspect everyone involved would prefer the restriction. Having said that, being able to locate and kill anyone rather than just enemy alliances is a big help ;)

Pmks and natural enemies fixes a lot of the spy issues I'd think. If you find a spy in your alliance/pmk, you should be able to kick them out. And as for enemy alts around deeds, well they'd (hopefully) have towers to worry about too, and since they're enemy, aoe spells should kill them if stealthed.

Well the issue of neutrals still needs to come into it I think, a prem neutral can still stealth and not be detected/fp'd etc...

Pmks and natural enemies fixes a lot of the spy issues I'd think. If you find a spy in your alliance/pmk, you should be able to kick them out. And as for enemy alts around deeds, well they'd (hopefully) have towers to worry about too, and since they're enemy, aoe spells should kill them if stealthed.

well here's what Rolf wrote:

"The other variant is to expand on the alliances, so that all alliances are at war and may raid eachother, and unallied villages are considered their own alliance. If custom kingdoms are added they will not be considered at war."

That suggests to me that any account that isn't a citizen or is just a citizen of a random village isn't at war, so they'll be neutral to towers, spells and all the rest. As mentioned, this wouldn't be stopped by preventing Ftp on Chaos, but it would be severely limited. Of course if it's possible to flag all players not in your alliance as enemy, while the physical deeds in no alliance remained neutral, that would solve that.

This would allow players to join the server in relative safety without having to join one of the alliances for protection straight away, but still experience some PvP if they venture off deed. If they wish to become more involved in that aspect and travel more safely further afield, they can then join the alliance of their choice, rather than having to make that choice with little or no experience of the server and the people in those alliances.

Of course it does mean some unraidable deeds... Having said that, in a way some of the biggest and oldest deeds are kind of 'unraidable' too :P though of course that's because the time and effort have gone in to making them so. I guess that was more a counter to any complaints that it would allow for safe storage of loot etc. Although people could just as easily store stuff on Deliverance too...

Custom kingdoms sounds fantastic - please consider the following however;

- The ability to 'convert' existing deeds to the new custom kingdoms without the need to disband and refound.

- The ability to 'convert' existing guard towers to the new custom kingdoms without the need to destroy them (use the tower capturing code from Epic?)

Thanks for looking at this, Rolf.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 5

This looks great! Thanks for taking the time to look at Chaos Rolf, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Nice to see some time being put into Chaos and our issues addressed. Thanks for finally giving us a good look, Rolf.

• Like 1