Sign in to follow this  
Lily

Has Multistory Gone Too Far?

just gona post here once.

All i want to say is that Devs do not do any changes only looking at this thread.

Why you say? because this is as always 10 people speaking and not a proper discussion for it. Alot of people doesnt have accounts on this forum, and quite alot of the accounts made do not speak.

I am not saying i want 10 story houses looking as skyscrapes (even though mine is atm), all i am saying is that dont do the classic "do a 180 degree turn and flip the whole system over night".

IF you want a proper change then post a vote in city hall and you shall get a more correct answer what people want.

I think the big, square blocks are butt-ugly, but then I also find large flattened areas, steep tiers, and paving ugly. People will always find a way to offend your senses, even with strict limitations. As I'm sure has been noted previously, a lot of the eyesores are due to people experimenting, and as time goes on, I suspect we're more likely to have fewer of them than more, as people like to try to do something unique, and practicality will win over a bit.

Why do people always feel the necessity to impose their views on others? Seriously.. Wurm is HUGE.. If you don't like what you see, go somewhere else or talk to the owner of the ugly building in a nice way and offer to help them design it. If you are traveling and see what you don't like.. KEEP TRAVELING. It's that simple. You have no right to govern how others enjoy this game, or choose to build their fantasy. In my alliance, there are some crap looking buildings, but guess what!!! That's how they want to play, and furthermore my deed is a 15 minute travel away. So I go home to my deed which looks amazing with it's red barn and I enjoy the game how I want to play with the villagers who also like to play this way. Ohh I have a mushroom house being built too. It's my mage's house.. Yeah there is Magic in wurm, that breaks realism of whathave you, so his house is also going to float. but across the street we have a very realistic looking blacksmith hut derived from actual pictures of the time. THIS is how we want to play. Who are you to impose your views on us when the game allows it? You will never meet me in game, you will most likely never see my deed, and I have played this game longer than 95% of you for those who like to quote " well i've been playing for blah blah blah" WHO CARES!!!!

• Like 3

Why do people always feel the necessity to impose their views on others? Seriously.. Wurm is HUGE.. If you don't like what you see, go somewhere else or talk to the owner of the ugly building in a nice way and offer to help them design it. If you are traveling and see what you don't like.. KEEP TRAVELING. It's that simple. You have no right to govern how others enjoy this game, or choose to build their fantasy. In my alliance, there are some crap looking buildings, but guess what!!! That's how they want to play, and furthermore my deed is a 15 minute travel away. So I go home to my deed which looks amazing with it's red barn and I enjoy the game how I want to play with the villagers who also like to play this way. Ohh I have a mushroom house being built too. It's my mage's house.. Yeah there is Magic in wurm, that breaks realism of whathave you, so his house is also going to float. but across the street we have a very realistic looking blacksmith hut derived from actual pictures of the time. THIS is how we want to play. Who are you to impose your views on us when the game allows it? You will never meet me in game, you will most likely never see my deed, and I have played this game longer than 95% of you for those who like to quote " well i've been playing for blah blah blah" WHO CARES!!!!

People don't like change, if they joined after this update then they'll continue to whine about how a 13 minute server restart robbed them off their 18 hour a day wurm playing time but if something new is added then chances are they'll whine about that. It's happened with nearly every update i can remember (some people were even whining about how boats would destroy their monopoly on the wurm economy lmao).

There's nothing you can do really but take on some of the complaints and see if you can use them as suggestion, otherwise just add them to the spam box because there are always going to be a few people who don't like an update

Edited by Ishwoo
  • Like 3

I didn't want to post anything but here it goes

Multistory

Pro's ----------

The ability to build a house/public Structure/ or a working that has more then one floor

Example. My 2 story mess hall has the ovens on the bottom floor

With tables chair on the top floor as a patio.

Or my friend silvirwolfe built a really nice 2x2 x5+high lighthouse at her dock

The ways it can be used is endless within the game set limits

Con's----

Some people will build some really bad looking tower. "IMO"

But here is the kicker in the whole thing

---------------

This is my land.

This is my sandbox.

And please stay out of my sandbox.

If you start telling people how there house is to tall

Or Square or whatever. Then you defeat the point of the

Freedom to build what you desire.

And note if it is truely that bad. It will be a hassle to live in

So in the end. They will tear it down / rebuild it / let it decay and

Replace it.

Remember trial and error

Edited by Notsodirt
  • Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jberg, January 14, 2013 - Abusive behavior, threats
Hidden by Jberg, January 14, 2013 - Abusive behavior, threats

Yes, it has been poorly implemented.

Wurm in the old days had a good mix of graphics that created a good sense of immersion, right now there is no immersion in Wurm and it is turning more and more towards the Minecraft-way of creating with no limitations at all.

There is a good reason why almost all games have an art director. Right now Wurm is a big mess and it will only get worse.

It really bothers me that you are a CA, and completely trash the game. It is not a big mess,Wurm is doing better thanks ever has, and it will only get better. I hope something happens to you so nobody has to hear you spew your ignorant trash ever again. Also what does alack of an art director have to do with multistory?

Edited by seekor

The current webpage says nothing about Wurm being a "medieval simulation" true, but the old website did and it was well understood that Wurm was intended to be a Medieval Simulation. If you had been around here long enough you would know that.

You want to call us whiners? Go ahead. We just want Wurm to retain some of the time period characteristics that made it special among MMOROGs.If trying to defend something we care about is Whining that sign me up.

I know what you will probably say next..... "It's all just Pixels". Yeah and I'm just atoms. If you want to break things down far enough none of it matters... but it does matter. We spend our time in this "pixel" world, we use imaginations and we create in Wurm what we might wish to create in the real world if we could. We visit Wurm to live in what was was referred to as a Medieval simulation, a primitive world that felt fresh and free from the grundge of civilization, were we could see the Wurm world kind of like how our ancestors saw the real world thousands of years ago. Some of us even use Wurm as an escape from real life (god forbid!!).

No other MMO ever made has allowed Players to do this like Wurm. Sure there has been simulations before, but not fully featured like Wurm, or with operating environment systems (trees, crops, livestock), with weather, housing, crafts, etc. Only Wurm. Wurm had a special atmosphere that has now been changed by multistory buildings. I doubt if anyone can argue that isn't so. Wurm *IS* about Immersion whether anyone wants to admit it or not. It is one of Wurm's primary Features.

And now some of you want to change Wurm for what you think is better, even some of the Devs. Fair enough, but not all of us will see it as better and that does not make us whiners. That makes us former customers.

It WAS listed as a medieval sim, before it was "released", I think Rolf understood the dangers of using those words and smartly removed them. It is a good thing it has been removed, as spells and such arent sim. So just because someone hasn't been around forever doesn't mean they don't have knowledge of the game. It's not a sim, it's a sandbox MMO.

there is limits, most cant exceed 9 storys, hell most are doing 7 storys. and it requires a crap ton of materials and time to build these . Thats not breaking anything ingame. there is hundreds of new players join wurm each week just at the thought they can build that high and come up with these creativitly design buildings and all the other fun stuff ingame. 1.0 brought multistorys, Its current system is driving the pop higher and higher, are you all willing to kill off a system that is working and ive yet to see chaos or ruleless anywhere. to build these things man, it takes a crap ton if time, skill and effort. and visual impact of wurm? Alright i get it , you all been here for so many years, well guess wat, the old wurm wasnt working, wasnt gaining the high pop. The new wurm is, and its not making wurm look bad, these buildings are awsome. Time to adapt wurms progressing, going forward, if you all dont learn to adapt now, your really doomed down the road. There is rules inplace, and tons of enjoyment ingame.i dont see 41 storys ingame thier, max is 15 at 99 carp and ver VERY rare few might be able to do that. Limit the current MS system, Remove wurm from the sandbox world, as then your addint more n more retstrictions. Theres already ones inplace that has the balance. Also bob, gunpower, electricity, really?... wow thinkin that far ahead are ya?....lol

Sorry for multiple post, but this subject is very irritating, this guy hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

Has Multistory gone too far?

Since you ask, no, I don't believe it has. No need to rain on other people's parades. If you don't like the look of your neighbor's buildings, turn down your building render distance to "very low" and you'll only see what's immediately around you. This is a non-issue.

• Like 3

Since you ask, no, I don't believe it has. No need to rain on other people's parades. If you don't like the look of your neighbor's buildings, turn down your building render distance to "very low" and you'll only see what's immediately around you. This is a non-issue.

Actually my belief is more along the lines of...If you don't like the look of your neighbor's buildings, choose better neighbors. Get a few like minded folks together and go deed an island or block of land with 5 or 6 different deeds. I know all my neighbors and they're not the type to put up random 10 storey 2x2 buildings. I spent a long time prepping my little deed to make a great view, and i'm very happy with my neighbors.

I don't see how this breaks immersion at all. We just progressed outta the medevil age, and into the Renaissance! We are evolving just like in real life, the secrets of multi story housing have changed the way we think. This is the most realistic feature of the game. What's that? You guys have finally met that eccentric painter who used red white and blue almost as if to paint some strange symbol on his home. I don't know what that symbol is, but that guy must be insane. Keep your kids away.

You see? You don't like Real life? then you wont like Realism, dont pretend.

• Like 3

Can anyone post pictures of the offending buildings???

How about needing resource intensive support beams/columns/arches/buttresses to maintain higher buildings and floors which jut out?

In other words: Implement architecture into Wurm.

/>http://images.betterworldbooks.com/076/Architecture-for-Dummies-9780764553967.jpg

So yes, you could have your big fat ugly building, but you'll have to exert great effort and planning to see it completed without it falling down.

Finally, a constructive suggestion!

Can anyone post pictures of the offending buildings???

These are all from the multistorey-pics thread

http://i212.photobuc...zps3ee58ae4.jpg

http://i212.photobuc...zpsa343b549.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cr0qh.jpg

http://pages.suddenl...n/usflagwpm.jpg

http://www.beauregar...wurm/wurm41.jpg

http://s20.postimage...130102_0305.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MwsKZ.jpg (kinda)

http://i645.photobuc...zps8c9ac28b.jpg

I don't want to think about all of the time and resources the creators had to use to make these ;_;

Lol those buildings are amazing, and I'm sad I haven't seen many in-game yet. Gotta travel around sometime soon.

Hey if we limit those who are building rediculous buildings we are also limiting those who actually make great cathedrals and castles, i mean i dont wanna start working on my castle and end up code blocked from finishing it , i currently dont have the skill and materials to start it but im kinda planning on making a large wood keep with pallistine wills around it, which is medieval.

The entire purpose of rules is to impose limits. The limits for housing are insufficient, IMHO. You are free to have your own opinion.

Think about it. If you want a game with no limits at all, then it will get awful boring when everyone runs around with Superman characters, every npc can be one shotted, and all you have to do is drop an iron coin into a wishing well for a perfect QL 100, coc 103, woa 103 tool, which will improve anything to 100 QL with a single improving action.

Every game must have limits. In fact the limits are what DEFINE the game. Allowing Wurm to be defined by the current terribad limits to the shapes of multistory constructions is not a good idea.

Heck, I'd be satisfied if one were to simply stipulate that floors on buildings can never be larger than the floor below them. If one wants to have a balcony, well, add a balcony to the building with a separate building action, and do not allow balconies to be built unless they share one side with a building.

It really bothers me that you are a CA, and completely trash the game. It is not a big mess,Wurm is doing better thanks ever has, and it will only get better. I hope something happens to you so nobody has to hear you spew your ignorant trash ever again. Also what does alack of an art director have to do with multistory?

Wait. You are wishing real world harm on someone because they disagree with you about how pixels are arranged in a game? It sounds like someone here needs to take a close look at themselves before even considering criticizing anyone else for any reason. You need help.

These are all from the multistorey-pics thread

Half of those are 'test' houses, the flag has been removed, the rest are good looking mansions IMO

http://i.imgur.com/MwsKZ.jpg i spent well over a week on that, and its not just a hotel lookin building, has balconies on the sides. I like my giant building, i own a giant deed on a giant mountain, i have a giant statue, Only fiting i start making giant buildings, as i love building!

I think people should just do whatever they want on their own deed they bought with their own money, have a nice day;3

http://i.imgur.com/MwsKZ.jpg i spent well over a week on that, and its not just a hotel lookin building, has balconies on the sides. I like my giant building, i own a giant deed on a giant mountain, i have a giant statue, Only fiting i start making giant buildings, as i love building!

Nice house, Got no problem with it. It's the mushroom houses and boats-on-stilts houses that are absurd.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tested to see if it is possible to actually build a house in such a way that it will allow you to run off an upper floor opening across a wall or into a house with no roof?

Are floor constructions on higher levels limited by wall constructions on ground level?

People here hating on the dream. Build for the skies my friends.

The entire purpose of rules is to impose limits. The limits for housing are insufficient, IMHO. You are free to have your own opinion.

Think about it. If you want a game with no limits at all, then it will get awful boring when everyone runs around with Superman characters, every npc can be one shotted, and all you have to do is drop an iron coin into a wishing well for a perfect QL 100, coc 103, woa 103 tool, which will improve anything to 100 QL with a single improving action.

Every game must have limits. In fact the limits are what DEFINE the game. Allowing Wurm to be defined by the current terribad limits to the shapes of multistory constructions is not a good idea.

Heck, I'd be satisfied if one were to simply stipulate that floors on buildings can never be larger than the floor below them. If one wants to have a balcony, well, add a balcony to the building with a separate building action, and do not allow balconies to be built unless they share one side with a building.

See... Rolf is the game's creative director, and the other dev, who code his ideas into the game have already made rules. There is a 15 story tall rule, there is the rule on not building above if below isn't made. These are the rules that they wanted. But this whole thread including the vast majority of your posts show that you feel their rules are not enough. You try to spin word like FOX news as if you allow x then the world will melt down and babies will die. No.. We say let Rolf's rules stay as they are, and let people be free to build as they wish. You want more rules to conform to how YOU play.. There are rules in check, and let people build to how they want to build.

• Like 2