Sign in to follow this  
BrandonSF

I Tried To Build Two Story Arches, And This Is What I Got.

wurm201301120038_1_zps146a69a1.jpg

It won't let me take away the ugly wall plan. GM says thems the rules. I think it would look SO much cooler to have a two story arch. Can we make this so?

Looks to me like this IS a two story arch, with a cross brace. Looks fine to me :)

Oh I tried that.

Farmerbob, A full arch would look much more cool though, wouldn't you agree?

Oh I tried that.

Farmerbob, A full arch would look much more cool though, wouldn't you agree?

Not really. I like the cross beam arch because based on the level of tech we have in the Wurm universe, unsupported arches or lightly supported arches would simply fall apart.

Too many weird code checks would have to be implemented to create realistic tall arches, otherwise houses would just start looking absurd. (Not that some houses don't already look absurd, but why make the problem worse)

arch1318130648616.jpg

Edited by Farmerbob

All exterior ground-level walls have to have some "visual" aspect - that's just how house plans currently work. Knock down a wall, and you still see the wall plan.

Just allows us to attach banners to those cross beams, would look fine :)

• Like 1

Interesting. This is sort of the remnants of the old way of building where when you plan the ground floor you get the wall plans in the outer parts of the building. They always fall back to the wall plan on the bottom floor, but the floors above and the inner walls provide a removable wall plan.

We need some logic to provide prevent people build floating buildings in order to be able to remove one or two supporting plans from the lower floor.

We could also provide just two simple matching columns as a new type of "open" wall type that would fit into this style of building.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Saroman beat me to it :)

Edited by Zcul
  • Like 3

I'm all for adding in a "side column" style wall that just has the side pillars with no cross beam. Would also make balconies look better imo.

• Like 1

Ability to plan two pillars, so it will be like an arched wall but the top part will be removed.

We could also provide just two simple matching columns as a new type of "open" wall type that would fit into this style of building.

Any thoughts?

I actually suggested that a few months ago in the thread discussing multistory ;)
  • Like 2

I actually suggested that a few months ago in the thread discussing multistory ;)

Ah so that was you! I was actually going to go looking for that post again before I read this.

I agree there should be some fix for this. I had wanted to do a 2 story arch involving ground and 2nd floor as well. It seemes it worked out ok for people using 2nd and 3rd floors but not involving ground floor. (for reference im ordering floors as so ; ground, 2nd, 3rd... )

Also- a drawback to trying to tear down the ground floor portion to create an arch like this is (to my understanding) that this then leaves your house incomplete .. rendering beds useless. It would seem logicial perhaps to allow inner walls to "complete" any room a bed might be in. Or maybe to allow the planning of a 2nd floor with say a 1 tile overhang from the ground floor plan?(This would only be useful in certain instances eg....

(sorry this is a horrible illustration.. doesn't really line up right.. hopefully you get the picture)

R

R A R

W I W

R = roof, A=arch, W=wall, I=a 1x1 indentation to allow the first floor portion of arch to be empty

Or I guess if any of these other ideas mentioned would solve the problem that would be fine too.

Relating to what Farmerbob said - I get the point about the support beam, actually in this picture I think it looks fine (but I can understanding the OP not desiring it.. and also the incomplete house thing is a bummer). I think 2 stories maybe isn't even really all that tall to need extra support? However.. if we want to build taller and taller arches... we could also have some gothic archetechture. Realistically that would require (for outside aesthetics at least) a more pointed arch and some .. flying buttresses! (Thirdly, if you want to go really tall, the ribbed vault would also be required... but.. maybe for aesthetic purposes--ie.. just wanting the outside to look correct -- we could leave it out ?)

flying_buttress.png "A" are the flying buttresses.

flying_buttress-nvcc.edu_.jpg

flying-buttress.jpg(very pretty decrative flying buttress..)

The more pointed shape to the arch changes the gravitational pull on the arch and the flying buttress stabilizes. This allowed buildings to be taller with thinner walls and more windows/bigger arches.

For anyone that wants to geek out for awhile here is an excellent NOVA program on the transition from Roman to Gothic building.

Building of the Great Cathedrals

And here is a fun one on medieval swords: (I'm not big into swords/weapons... but mannnn this sword is cool!)

Secrets of the Viking Sword

Edited by Idony
  • Like 1

Rah talk about going in detail with the mechanics of a higher arch.

I'd prefer buildable columns basically modified arch models, they would add a lot of possibility :)

Bump for this concept of a "pillared wall" or "pillared doorway", which is just pillars in the corners and no arch, something that could be built underneath arched doorways.

Edit: It would be really great for the long run to have certain wall types that can only be built on top of other specific wall types. That might allow for both creativity and some degree of sanity, and assist with suspension of disbelief. Overhang brackets, etc, could then be used to buttress certain extensions.

Edited by Garis
  • Like 1