Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

Naming Bodies Of Water For The Community Map [Closed]

My suggestions for #1 are "Corda Mare" or "Mare Cordium" which google translate says is Latin for "Hearts Sea" or "Sea of Hearts"

I'll go for Fang Point Lake. The heart shaped is not obvious :-D

I'm good with either Southwind Harbour(UK English) or Harbor(US English) :D

As yes it could get a bit confusing with the SS abbreviation.

I will bow to using Harbour since you guys were there first :) . So I think #6 is decided. Southwind Harbour. Unless anyone objects.

Lake 1 was named Marigold by the village of Marigold only. not by anyone else. And as it says in the rules, no features named after deeds. Lake 1 is close to two mountains..one is very pointed...ive seen it called in local needle point and fang mountain. "Needle Point Lake"...or "Fang Point Lake". could use that in the name. I've also heard it referenced as the heart shaped lake...could go with "Heart's Lake".

There is no village of Marigold

I will bow to using Harbour since you guys were there first :) . So I think #6 is decided. Southwind Harbour. Unless anyone objects.

#6 Southwind Harbour, i'll go with that. Don't think we have many neighbours to get input from really, so i'm glad someone had a good suggestion.

#3 is Spawn Lake of course.

I already said why in my canal discussion thread

Spawn Lake is a name I do not even need to label on the map, you all know which lake I am talking about. Its the big lake connected to Sloping Sands that every spawn goes around looking for resources and places to settle, then keeps going round and round as they respawn and respawn

Naming features after deeds is not accepted.

Needs to be changed

"Naming features after deeds and alliances is not accepted"

Nobody should be immortalizing their deed or alliance in the map as it creates arguments, evidence by this very thread.

You will already get to name your deed and alliance on the political map.

2 is "Left Turn" lake

only a 2D map maker would make a lake with a completely unnatural left turn in it.

7 looks like the jaws of an Anaconda that swallowed a map, but your preference is no animal names. But I have no better one than 'Anaconda Harbour' or 'Anaconda Anchorage'. Anacondas did not show up in Independence until Release so there is that as well, not that I am saying they swam out of that area or anything like that...

1 is really "Duel Lake'.

Not only is the name being fought over by both sides of the lake, the canal rights are being squabbled over. Eventually I see a land bridge splitting it in the middle at this rate. And on the original hand drawn exploration map? It was drawn as two lakes!

However 'Fang Point" puts a finer point on the same thought, so I vote for that. Future residents will unknowingly think it is named after the shape. Except call it 'Fang Point Lake' so the landform in the middle can be called 'Fang Point'

Edited by yarnevk

Needs to be changed

"Naming features after deeds and alliances is not accepted"

Was implied but yes, changed the wording.

Anacondas did not show up in Independence until Release

However this is very, very incorrect.

Anacondas did not show up in my Indy neighborhood until Release I mean....think the spawns got tweaked. But it is more fun to think they escaped.

Edited by yarnevk

rel8.png

I think this looks something like a shield from this perspective so i was thinking "Bay of aegis" or "Bulwark Bay" or mayby even "Warden bay" :D

I live just east on the coast btw :B

I dont mind #1 being called lake fang or point after the mountain, the latin for point is cuspide i think, maybe could use a diiferent language and find a fang / point just to be alittle different ? Just a thought, for example lake cuspide ( lake point ), not sure what the latin for tooth / fang is. but something you guys could play around with to find a unique name.

I disagree that theres any squabbling over canal rights to be honest and would hate the lake to be named after that idea so no duel lake for me sorry. Theres just been different ideas over the best placement for a canal and all the talk imo has been friendly been no squabbling that I know of.

rel4.png\\

I nominate: Rorshach Lake, Amoeba Lake or Butterfly Mustache Lake

Edited by java1970

2 is "Left Turn" lake

only a 2D map maker would make a lake with a completely unnatural left turn in it.

7 looks like the jaws of an Anaconda that swallowed a map, but your preference is no animal names. But I have no better one than 'Anaconda Harbour' or 'Anaconda Anchorage'. Anacondas did not show up in Independence until Release so there is that as well, not that I am saying they swam out of that area or anything like that...

1 is really "Duel Lake'.

Not only is the name being fought over by both sides of the lake, the canal rights are being squabbled over. Eventually I see a land bridge splitting it in the middle at this rate. And on the original hand drawn exploration map? It was drawn as two lakes!

However 'Fang Point" puts a finer point on the same thought, so I vote for that. Future residents will unknowingly think it is named after the shape. Except call it 'Fang Point Lake' so the landform in the middle can be called 'Fang Point'

The alliance was named after what we took to calling the lake, but eh i wont argue over it. And no that land mass in the Lake is not called fang point, Its called New Stonewood

as its a deed, my deed infact lmao, theres not a tile that i havent covered :P Mind you its not a bad name however unless you want to give me the 5 silver to change the name i wouldnt even consider changing it. Long Live the Stonewood Empire!

Except you are not reading the map makers rules, deeds can be named whatever you want. You can call the land features whatever you want. But what goes on the map for land features does not follow the names of deeds. The deed is not the name of the land feature. You only own the land until you stop paying for it, and then years from now someone else will deed it and call their deed something different. But the land feature stays the same name as the map.

So that means there is two name MyDeed (your name) which occupies ThisLand (community name)

# 2

Black Dog Lake

because:

1. There was a ton of dogs around this lake initially

2. There are close to a dozen people living along its shores that are Indy vets who inhabit Black Dog island.

If someone else has a better suggestion that's fine. But I just kind of like this name and idea. I have shoreline on this Lake. Ill put a black Dog Statue along it and a sign if it is named as I suggested. :)

Edit:

I just saw the other two suggestions for #2. I like Northwall Lake as my second choice. No offense to the person who came up with the other one: Left Turn Lake, but that doesn't do anything for me.

Edited by conmcb25

# 2

Black Dog Lake

because:

1. There was a ton of dogs around this lake initially

2. There are close to a dozen people living along its shores that are Indy vets who inhabit Black Dog island.

If someone else has a better suggestion that's fine. But I just kind of like this name and idea. I have shoreline on this Lake. Ill put a black Dog Statue along it and a sign if it is named as I suggested. :)

Edit:

I just saw the other two suggestions for #2. I like Northwall Lake as my second choice. No offense to the person who came up with the other one: Left Turn Lake, but that doesn't do anything for me.

No to Black Dog Lake, BDI on Indi was bad enough. I realize OTG has a presence at the end of this lake as well as a large presence on BDI, I'd support northwall lake as it's a closeby named feature.

How about just shorting it up to something like Northmere just have the word north in the name or something. I don't really care I don't have a deed over there but Northern Wall lake just seems odd to me for a lake it is a good name for the mountain but not the lake...IMO

1) Crab Claw Lake

2) Shark Fin Lake

3) Greaser (looks like a guy with large hair and two tar spots drippin off his hair!)

4) Smog Lake

5) Erosion Inlet

6) Ocean's Reach Inlet

7) Poseidon's Birth

8) Bigfoot Lake

Rule is no animal names.....(though I like your animal choices)