Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

Naming Bodies Of Water For The Community Map [Closed]

Ah the fun part, naming stuff. As with previous maps there are a few ground rules. Most importantly however, is to remember that the names on the map are simply the names on the map; you may call your island/mountain/bay whatever the hell you like. I do recognise that a map name tends to stick, which is why I have the ground rules.

So;

This thread is for naming the listed bodies of water only.

Islanders should be consulted for the islands, hence we are not voting on those here.

Naming features after deeds or alliances is not accepted.

Arguments over names by residents for any feature will likely negate any names suggested.

I will not be changing the names of things just because new people move in and want it changed.

I will not consider or accept any suggestions that contain 'Oak', 'Birch', 'Pine' or any tree type. Preferably, we will avoid naming things after spiders or other unoriginal claptrap.

Decisions are final. Further complaining won't do you any favours. I'm not nice, so don't make that mistake.

I will take suggestions here for the next two weeks, judging winners by popularity here and by asking kchat at various occasions. If you haven't participated you have no right to complain about not having a say.

Suggestions so far;

#1: Needle Point Lake; Fang Point Lake; Heart Lake; Corda Mare (Sea of Hearts); Crab Claw Lake; Moon Lake [uNNAMED]

#2: Left Turn Lake; Tailfin Tarn; Northwall Lake; Black Dog Lake; Sharkfin Lake; Lake Pythagoras [NAMED]

#3: Spawn Lake [NAMED]

#4:Hand Lake; Fingers Lake; Key Lake; Rorshach Lake; Amoeba Lake; Smog Lake [NAMED]

#5: Fiordland Bay; Southern Fjords; Erosion Inlet; Erosion Fjords [NAMED]

#6: Southwind Harbour [NAMED]

#7: Anaconda Anchorage; Slipknot Bay; Poseidon's Birth [uNAMED]

#8: Bag Lake; Bay of Aegis; Bulwark Bay; Warden Bay; Bigfoot Bay [NAMED]

And now, the locations;

rel1.png

The NE Lake

rel2.png

The huge lake in the north

rel3.png

The lake just south of SS

rel4.png

The long western lake

rel5.png

The south-western inlet

rel6.png

The other south-western inlet

rel7.png

The massive southern coastal bay

rel8.png

The large sea-linked lake of the east

Edited by Darkmalice

I'm located at K10 on the new map so my suggestion for 5 is Fiordland Bay/Cove/something. Although it might be better to name the area north of the inlet Fiordland and call the inlet itself something else.

The generally accepted name for 3 already seems to be Spawn Lake, so that seems like a good starting point.

I'd also like to put forward that we call 4 Darkmalice Waters. Real life explorers/cartographers get things named after them, I think we should do the same for Dark as a sign of our appreciation for all the invaluable work he does putting these maps together for us.

Number one was already previously named Lake Marigold awhile back by Ols and the alliance that inhabits it

I'd also like to put forward that we call 4 Darkmalice Waters. Real life explorers/cartographers get things named after them, I think we should do the same for Dark as a sign of our appreciation for all the invaluable work he does putting these maps together for us.

Nah, it's alright I've already got Dark Island on Celeb ;)

You deserve a mention on all servers you work on, these maps are badass. Do you just get the map dump and put textures over it somehow? They look amazing.

Can't really think of a name for bay #6 next to us at Smooch Town. There's a few other people in the surrounding areas, so maybe they'll have a bit of input.

Can I name #2 Git Off Mah Lake, since a crabby old man lives at one end?

Number one was already previously named Lake Marigold awhile back by Ols and the alliance that inhabits it

Lake 1 was named Marigold by the village of Marigold only. not by anyone else. And as it says in the rules, no features named after deeds. Lake 1 is close to two mountains..one is very pointed...ive seen it called in local needle point and fang mountain. "Needle Point Lake"...or "Fang Point Lake". could use that in the name. I've also heard it referenced as the heart shaped lake...could go with "Heart's Lake". Edited by eshy

I would like to hear from smoochtown since we are neighbors but for #6:

Avalanche Anchorage

Lemon Lagoon

Southwind Sound

Yes I know kinda cheesy but I do like Southwind Sound.

Southwind Sound has a nice ring to it. +1 from me ;)

See what Rattox says :P

As part of the community around #1 we are all in marigold and i believe it should be Marigold Lake.

rel4.png

The hand lake / The hand river / The lake of hands / Fingers lake / Key lake / The lake of keys

Looks like a hand stretching out to accept a bag of gold or a key

Edited by Che

As part of the community around #1 we are all in marigold and i believe it should be Marigold Lake.

Not all deeds are in marigold that are around that lake, a name should take the views of all the deeds that back onto the lake and not just one group.

I nominate "Sørlige-fjords" for #5; Norwegian for "southern-fjords". :) But that's because I am uncreative and can't think of a better name. I'd definitely go for anything with "fjords" in the name, since that's definitely the type of terrain down there!

• Like 1

Not all deeds are in marigold that are around that lake, a name should take the views of all the deeds that back onto the lake and not just one group.

Well if there are people arguing over the name I think it should be a neutral one seems only fair and naming things after a alliance or village does not seem right anyway..IMO

this is false, Our Village (Troll's Vantage) is not part of Marigold. You dont own the lake, and the other resident's dont care to have it named after your village. thank goodness its in the rules that it isn't allowed.

this is false, Our Village (Troll's Vantage) is not part of Marigold. You dont own the lake, and the other resident's dont care to have it named after your village. thank goodness its in the rules that it isn't allowed.

1.) First of, our village isn't named Marigold, thank god. :P

2.) Personaly as the Mayor of Aincrad that Katear belongs to i give a damn what that lake is gona be named... it could remain as #1 forever or whatever, i hardly care because it doesn't affect me in any way - unless it brings more business in which i highly doubt. ;)

3.) Katear wrote this out of his own accord and i told him i don't agree with him for a few reasons.

So, if it wasn't for eshy twisting Katears statement to make it look like we would have wanted the lake named Aincrad (which, i repeat, we don't want and never even thought about it because i have better things to do then think about names) i wouldn't even have posted in this thread period.

Have fun o/

it was only a suggestion.No reason for anyone to get bent out of shape.If the community doesn't want it so be it, but my opinion is that MY OWN.I didn't type in as a representative of Marigold.So just take it for what it is just a suggestion.

if u wanted a truly neutral name i would go for Heart lake.seems like a nice name.

1.) First of, our village isn't named Marigold, thank god. :P

2.) Personaly as the Mayor of Aincrad that Katear belongs to i give a damn what that lake is gona be named... it could remain as #1 forever or whatever, i hardly care because it doesn't affect me in any way - unless it brings more business in which i highly doubt. ;)

3.) Katear wrote this out of his own accord and i told him i don't agree with him for a few reasons.

So, if it wasn't for eshy twisting Katears statement to make it look like we would have wanted the lake named Aincrad (which, i repeat, we don't want and never even thought about it because i have better things to do then think about names) i wouldn't even have posted in this thread period.

Have fun o/

my apologies. I didnt mean to twist anyone's words. Katear made it sound like anyone on the lake is part of Marigold, making me think he was part of marigold also. I never thought he (or she) meant it to be named Aincrad. I like the people of Aincrad..And I also, would hate to see the lake named after any village/deed.

accepted ;) - and yea i agree with you about that, as you said it's in the rules anyhow.

Anything neutral is fine, nothing related to a alliance or village name, just to give a rough opinion.

Tho, i still don't want to think about names or we would end up with stuff like "Ichigo Gyuunyuu Mizuumi" (苺牛乳湖 - Strawberry Milk Lake) or something like that. >_< (that one was for the possible lols it may produce, or not)

Edited by Milkdrop

I would like to hear from smoochtown since we are neighbors but for #6:

Avalanche Anchorage

Lemon Lagoon

Southwind Sound

Yes I know kinda cheesy but I do like Southwind Sound.

Lemon Lagoon sounds funny, but it might be a bit much if the "Citrus Peak" name for the mountain sticks.

So "Southwind Sound" is OK by me since you and Lemuel like it. +1 from me for that, or any variation of Southwind (sound/anchorage/lagoon/harbour), etc. :P

Lemon Lagoon sounds funny, but it might be a bit much if the "Citrus Peak" name for the mountain sticks.

So "Southwind Sound" is OK by me since you and Lemuel like it. +1 from me for that, or any variation of Southwind (sound/anchorage/lagoon/harbour), etc. :P

How about Southwind Harbor so we can get away for the ss notation. Have enough of that already.

Regarding number 1# I feel we have such a nice group of people in the area I would hate something simple as naming a lake could cause people to fall out, which would be a real shame. I agree that something netural would be best for all.

How about Southwind Harbor so we can get away for the ss notation. Have enough of that already.

I'm good with either Southwind Harbour(UK English) or Harbor(US English) :D

As yes it could get a bit confusing with the SS abbreviation.