Sign in to follow this  
Lordcuvious

Windows 8 Impressions

I'm getting a windows 8 laptop soon so im just wondering if any of you guys and girls use it and what do you think of it?

It is cool. Looks special but isn't much different to Windows 7.

It's essentially WIndows 7 once you strip away all the Metro crap to make it a usable desktop OS.

If it comes on your new machine, it's usable. For people inclined to upgrade OS's on existing machines, skip it entirely. SP1 might make it better, but right now it's not even worth the small "upgrade" fee.

I like it, a lot. Once you learn the basics you wont ever have to use desktop anymore :D. Gotta move on with time guys, this is the future of windows.

It's the same money-making crap all the big tech companies use. They just knowingly make x product miss a lot of features, so they can (soon after) just add a few more of those features, call it a new product and rake in the dough.

Take into account I didn't willingly pick it it's just bundled with the laptop but I've been reading good things and bad things but the bad things are mostly from people who don't even have the OS.

A havent used it much myself, but from friends and family who did take up the upgrade they said they didn't like it all that great, but once they had it for a few weeks they are finding it better. Personally i didn't like the idea of it, but my dad told me he installed a patch to bring back most of the Windows 7 features they removed from 8 which for me i would need to do (i hate having to change OS and have to change the way i PC). Only thing stopping me giving it a try is concern about compatability, i don't want to wait weeks for things to work.

It's clunky to navigate at first, after awhile if can adapt to things fast you learn where and what to click to do what you always did on Win 7, I find it more difficult getting on a Win 7 machine now after 2-3 months having 8, I didn't want Win 8 but after a hard drive crash and needing a new OS 59$ was too hard to pass up. The only plus on Win 8 over 7 is that the computer comes up fast and I don't have that delay I used to even with the same hard drive space used etc.

There are some issues with programs (I had problem where Avast was sandboxing whole system, eating 2gb of ram \o/), lack of start is hurting a little, metro is useless for me. It's booting faster, but ctrl+alt+del is slower in showing up.

Other than that, it's just windows...

Can you turn off Metro? Or would you all recommend to leave it on? I have a windows 7 phone which looks similar to how windows 8 is set out so I may be able to navigate quicker than the normal user

Windows 8, crap. Every other OS that Microsoft releases is worthless, xp was great, then we had vista... Then 7 which was also great. Completely re coding how the OS works, there really isn't reason to, they just keep trying to force it more into something similar to a tablet, which isn't what they should be doing...

Well if you are planning to upgrade, make it fast. The lower prices on Win 8 upgrades from XP and Win 7 expire the end of Jan 2013.

Since i mainly use my PC for gaming im not getting windows 8. Also the whole metro UI etc... it was designed for a tablet not a desktop PC.

If you get it for free or bundled with your computer, and you can deal with the few tablet-centric GUI elements, then you might as well keep it. Pretty much everything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and uses less resources which may net you a slight performance increase.

If you're thinking of paying money for upgrading from 7 to 8, don't. The OS'es are so similar that it's not really worth the effort (or cash).

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

I really like the ideas behind Windows 8. Tbh, I just got win7 recently and I scarcely use the start menu anymore: all of my main programs stay pinned to the taskbar and it's a lot easier. Metro is just the next progression of that.

I also think that Windows 8 phone looks pretty good, as well as win8 when on tablets. Having one centralised OS and concept is a massive massive tech step forward, I applaud microsoft for such a big move.

I am having trouble when i shut down my pc with windows 8 sometimes but i think it is just my pc..idk. Sometimes it goes fine but other times the monitor, mouse and keyboard shuts down but the fans and the hd and power lights stay lit like the hd is doing something. When it does this i have to restart the pc with the reset button and try again. I am not sure what that is about and am doing test now to see if i can get it figured out what is causing it. Has anyone else had any trouble like this?

Edited by Kegan

Well if you are planning to upgrade, make it fast. The lower prices on Win 8 upgrades from XP and Win 7 expire the end of Jan 2013.

I'm getting it free with my new Laptop so no problem with price!

So far I have come across one Windows 8 Laptop and I was not impressed. It was a brand new HP laptop and it was blue screening (BSoD) like crazy and for no particular reason. I could for the short time I was working on it find no specific error on the blue screen to fix it either.

Liked the new task manager with all the new performance data etc.

Didn't really like the new interface either, personally I am sticking with Win7 for now.

I always liked Sysinternals Process explorer, just so much better than the old task manager. Havent seen 8's yet so no idea how it compares.

I like it, a lot. Once you learn the basics you wont ever have to use desktop anymore :D. Gotta move on with time guys, this is the future of windows.

If that's the future of windows it makes me even more glad I dropped it for linux years ago.

I just got windows 8. Its great, but metro is annoying so just don't use any metro apps and it works better then windows 7. The minesweeper app is now metro and it takes 5 mins to load lol.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

010313_1244_ForensicArt2.jpg

Yeah... im waiting for what they have to show after 8

• Like 2

I've been using it since about half way through the beta period back in june/july, right up to release and beyond. Persoanlly, i think its really good. It boots fast (even faster if you enable no-GUI boot). It also (finally) has native ISO suport, a new task manager, improved file transfer management and of course the new start menu.

The start menu search is something I used heavily in Win7, so I was pretty surprised at first when I found it worked the same on Win8 start menu too, and was faster.

If you can overcome the "new start menu sucks" mindset, it is actually amazingly good to use. Personally I love change anyway, and thought the metro style menu looked good, but some people struggle on the change adoption side. :P

Edited by syncaidius