Sign in to follow this  
polemides

Animals Not Eating And Not Being Able To Fill Them Up

i have a few animals that will be on farm/grass tiles and they are either not eating or cant be filled with grass i have fed one horse over 65 mixed grass and gave up at that point

Interesting issue. Have no experiance with cows or horses not eating. You say 'animals', so from that I understand you have issues with animals other then horses? Can you post a screenshot of where you keep them?

Mixed grass is very very very little food. A hungry horse can easily eat 100+ of these. Try feeding it with some rye or wheat instead.

Mixed grass is low-nutrition. It's the animal-equivalent of eating raw fish, meat or vegetables. It keeps them alive, but they'll never get fat.

Grazing animals such as Horses, Cows and Bison can pretty much survive on their own in an enclosure, as long as you have grass planted. I myself have steppe planted down, and know they are getting their fill as the tiles will turn back into dirt when it's been depleated (or when the silly cows stomp them). I only have to worry about hand feeding my hen and rooster, which is sometimes 5-10 grass per feeding (greedy little buggers).

All my animals are fat, so I know they are eating, and the proof is in the disappearing tiles.

Hope this helps!

Strange, I have not encountered this problem, my horses are fine and fat :/

I have a pig that is skin and bones and her pig pen mate is well nourished. So I suspect...welll...one of them is being a hog! They are in a 3x4 grain, tater and pumpkin pen which in theory should be self sufficiency. Trying hand feeding the harvest now as it worked for the dogs to hand feed meet, if not that will start giving up some casseroles.

Edited by yarnevk

pigs don't graze, unless you mean that you drop the harvest for the pig.

Pigs don't eat a farm tile like other livestock? Was sure one ate down my wemp to seedlings and I had to wait for it to regrow. Wiki just says they do not eat grass tiles though they do eat dropped mixed grass.

Edited by yarnevk

Having as many animals as I do, I have experienced this. I've suspected it has something to do with the new crowding changes, because it seems they will be stubborn about grazing if other animals are within a certain amount of tiles from them. I usually try to lead them out of the enclosure on to some grass and that usually gets them eating.

So can anyone confirm if pigs will not eat farm tiles, since wiki only says not grass tiles? Pathing does merge them into Siamese twins, that could explain my issue, but not sure if I should just pen/rope them apart or instead hand feed them.

Pigs do not graze on any type of tile. Harvest your crops and drop them in the pen. They will eat food dropped on the ground but will not graze on the planted tiles.