Sign in to follow this  
Xemos

Cargo Containers For Ships

As of right now, Rafts are used as the intermediate method of transporting items. Creating 100 rafts to make a ship somewhat worthy of being a transport vessel is tedious. To make matters worse, There is practically no difference between a Corbita, Knarr, or Caravel as far as transportation abilities. For ships of this size and difficulty to build, the transportation abilities should be a better reward as you go up.

Suggestion: Cargo Containers.

Basically they would function as a floating BSB. Larger ships allow more containers within. For simplicity of coding, I suggest to allow 2 types of containers to be built: Cargo Container and Food Container. Back-end code wise, they use the exact same storage logic as a BSB and a FSB respectivly. As far as adding to ships, Rather than trying to figure out how to allow BSBs to function within another container, make it a right click option. Select the container, right click ship, select "install _______". To access said container: right click ship, select "Cargo container 2" enjoy your floating BSB.

Now for the separate ship types:

Being personal use boats, they do not allow additions of cargo containers

120px-Rowing_boat.png120px-Small_sailing_boat.png

As a farm ship with plenty of room and a sealed under-hold to keep crops safe from the sea. The corbita can have 2 FCs

120px-Corbita.png

With it's sturdier frame and large holds within, a cog can hold 2 CCs

104px-Cog.png

The Knarr is primarily a looting vessel but also is used for long voyages away from home. It can fit up to 3CCs and 2FCs.

120px-Knarr.png

The Caravel is the King of the seas. A massive merchant ship can hold up to 4 CCs and 4 FCs, worthy of any fleet.

120px-Caravel.png

Those are my starting suggestions for this idea.

Questions,comments,additions ~ Please post below!

*Edit* Don't forget to vote! -> http://wurmonline.uservoice.com/forums/12046-wurmonline/suggestions/3528578-cargo-containers-for-ships

Edited by Xemos

Great idea on the face, however.... how would you transport non-combinable items using your suggestion?

A simpler option would be to have two types of hold. One which acts as a combined BSB/FSB and one as a normal 100 item limit container. I think creating more than 1 type of container per item would be a bit of an overhaul of the design of the ship though. Great idea but implementing would probably take a lot of effort from the devs.

That's the beauty of the idea, the Cargo holds do not at all detract from the normal function of the ship. Though weight/volume limits are shared. you do get the normal 100 item cargo hold which doesn't combine anything. these CCs and FCs are additional holds that can only be accessed by right click the ship and selecting it. It's nothing more than adding additional menu options to the ship and having it linked to the DB that already is in use for BSB and FSB

Edited by Xemos

Well, the only competing idea (as far as the shipping problem is concerned) is the one where you build crates instead of rafts, and this one sounds a lot better and more streamlined.

Actually, the crates idea is still good. It's not mutually exclusive, as you said.

+1 from me.

+1 but i would think it would be even better if we could actually use bsbs inside ships :P as we can pick them up now^^ also I would love a replacement for rafts....

+1

Have a cargobay function like a BSB on Corb+ and a normal inventory like the current option for all ships.

EDIT: Also, it was kind of discussed in the "What would you like to see megathread" but Walking around in ships and being able to drop and plant items like torches and chests / BSB's etc. would also help.

Edited by Raith