Sign in to follow this  
Joanavon

The Longstanding Lazy Cave Guards Problem

Killed 5 guards, and less than 3 hours later all damn 5 where in the cave again.

Simple solution really... we brick up the entrance, pave it over, and move on.

Killed 5 guards, and less than 3 hours later all damn 5 where in the cave again.

That is impressive. I have never had it that bad... you have multiple entrances in range of the tower I am guessing?

Areas that need the guards the most "noobish areas mostly" also tend to have an abundance of shallow or inter-connecting mine entrances.

Solution: make tower guards teleport through obstacles and through the ground like the deed guards do if obstructed.

That is impressive. I have never had it that bad... you have multiple entrances in range of the tower I am guessing?

No, just one cave entrance, about 8-10 tiles away from the tower

If the guard tower was a real solid object they would not feel the need to live in caves.

Fix the towers, Guards happy, problem solved.

They should be made to return to the tower every few hours anyway, to report in or to pop in for a bit of lunch.

If we could make a fire in an iron barrel, they would congregate there.. all guards love fires in barrels. When the fire goes out, the guards go about their business again.

Edited by canoe sandie

The stupid thing is that even when you try to call them on something attacking you in the the guards are also in they continue to ignore you.

Took 45 minutes this time. The neighboring deed fired their spirit templar so i had to kite more mobs to a neighboring tower to get them to kill the mobs so i had room to kite the guards from my tower out of my mine.

one positive result of this awful guard work ethic issue has been in the organizing of mobs to murder the lazy worthless guards in their precious caves. It's helped build community engagement.

Areas that need the guards the most "noobish areas mostly" also tend to have an abundance of shallow or inter-connecting mine entrances.

Solution: make tower guards teleport through obstacles and through the ground like the deed guards do if obstructed.

But then we could not wall off tower guards :D

But then we could not wall off tower guards :D

Why would you wall them off?

On a side note one possible solution to this current under performance in the ranks could be to just dramtically shorten their life spans and thus cause more frequent above ground spawning of replacements for ones that died of old age.

Why would you wall them off?

On a side note one possible solution to this current under performance in the ranks could be to just dramtically shorten their life spans and thus cause more frequent above ground spawning of replacements for ones that died of old age.

Its short enough already...

Just fix their AI so they move in and out of caves.

Or just fix caves altogether... Hate having to worry about dropshafts all the time.

Edited by ReaverKane

Found a related bug. I called my guards on a couple of animals on deed today and only one guard responded, even after having called them 6 or more times per creature. I then kited one guard out of the mine (the only one in there as far as I could tell) and the next time I called them four guards responded.

Edited by Tazuras

I've had this problem many times at the southern exit of the green tunnel on deliverance. Devs, check this place out if you need an example.

+1 from me as well. This issue is really annoying. Does anyone know if a mine door will help?