Sign in to follow this  
Joanavon

The Longstanding Lazy Cave Guards Problem

I know its been brought up in the past but it can use more highlighting.

Please can we fix the issue with tower guards going down into caves and refusing to come out and help anyone above ground again.

Once secluded in their underground lair of laziness and sloth those worthless guards wont do anything while preventing more above ground and useful guards from spawning at their tower until someone punishes the lazy subterranean guards with slaughter.

While executing the lazy guards will spawn new topside ones they likely will eventually slink into a cave again and become useless again in time.

This renders entire chunks of a guard tower network worthless because so many of its guards are underground doing who knows what and thus refusing to assist or answer calls for help.

• Like 4

+100

They started coming out about a month before 1.0 but have since reverted to their old habits. I can't imagine this would be a difficult fix.

BTW, mobs are really good now coming out of a cave while chasing you. Kinda seems stupid that they easily come out of caves but guards refuse to.

Encircling the JKH starter deed is about 5 guard towers all pressed against the minimum distance apart. Yet yesterday i literally ran all the way around it troll in tow calling the stupid guards and only one of the 5 towers responded at all even with the troll less then 10 tiles from the towers.

I felt really bad killing one of my loyal but lazy tower guards yesterday just so I could be sure to have some on duty with my spirit templars when I logged off...

Rolf, please fix this.

Having them ignore my calls for help makes their murder much easier to swallow. I just wish the others would learn the lesson and stay alert.

Where do they get stuck more specifically? At specific cave formations, steepness or behind special walled in cave entrances?

• Like 1

if they go into a normal mine, they do not come out, and will not come out if called. They are "stuck" only in the sense they will no longer exit the mine, not "stuck" on any physical surface.

It was fixed somewhat recently then broken again.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

They wander into the mine or go into it if their path to a mob and the mine entrance intersect. Once inside they don't respond, even to a mob inside the mine.

If you stand on the tile border between the outside and inside of the mine and you have a mob targeted they will sometimes come out when called. But it is not a certainty that they will.

It has been like this for as long as I can remember except for a short period just before 1.0 release.

Edited by Macgregor

yeah, once they enter the caves it's like they become deaf and blind to the world outside the cave and often will ignore calls even from inside the same cave against mobs. they just wander about inside the cave forever until they die of old age or are culled.

Edited by Joanavon

zcul, you can run around a guard, yell help 50 times and they wont respond, even when ur rite ontop ofem its sad and this is above or below ground.

if you look at the green tunnel on Deli, you can see the problem really quickly.

+1 This issue very nearly pushed by jimmies to the point of rustling.

zcul, you can run around a guard, yell help 50 times and they wont respond, even when ur rite ontop ofem its sad and this is above or below ground.

This is incorrect and will only serve to confuse the problem being addressed.

A guard tower has a 50 tile 'shadow' in which another guard tower can't be built. A tower guard will wander around in this 50 tile shadow. (not sure if they will wander farther) However. You can only call a tower guard to help you within 20 tiles of his tower. So if you see a tower guard and he doesn't respond then you are not close enough to that guards tower. It's not that they don't work. It's that their union contract allows them to respond only within 20 tiles of that guards tower.

Perhaps to avoid this confusion tower guards should not be allowed more than 20 tiles from their tower. But sometimes the only way you know there is a tower around is when you see a guard. So you will nerf that.

Also, if a guard is within 20 tiles of his tower and doesn't respond it's because it isn't his turn and the guard who should be responding is in a cave smoking and playing cards. Try calling a second or third time ten seconds or so apart. First call will call the first two guards, number 1 and 2. Second call will call the second two guards number 3 and 4. Third call will call the last two guards number 5 and 6. They will always respond in that order. 3 and 4 will not respond first unless 1 and 2 are dead.

This is all through our observations in our alliance.

This is incorrect and will only serve to confuse the problem being addressed.

A guard tower has a 50 tile 'shadow' in which another guard tower can't be built. A tower guard will wander around in this 50 tile shadow. (not sure if they will wander farther) However. You can only call a tower guard to help you within 20 tiles of his tower. So if you see a tower guard and he doesn't respond then you are not close enough to that guards tower. It's not that they don't work. It's that their union contract allows them to respond only within 20 tiles of that guards tower.

Perhaps to avoid this confusion tower guards should not be allowed more than 20 tiles from their tower. But sometimes the only way you know there is a tower around is when you see a guard. So you will nerf that.

Also, if a guard is within 20 tiles of his tower and doesn't respond it's because it isn't his turn and the guard who should be responding is in a cave smoking and playing cards. Try calling a second or third time ten seconds or so apart. First call will call the first two guards, number 1 and 2. Second call will call the second two guards number 3 and 4. Third call will call the last two guards number 5 and 6. They will always respond in that order. 3 and 4 will not respond first unless 1 and 2 are dead.

This is all through our observations in our alliance.

Aye not to mention "above" and "below" ground are two seperate maps, which adds all kinds of fun, especially with visibility and talking in local. However, deed guards in contrast have never had problems switching back 'n forth to attack people (at least they use to, I dont know about now).

On the other hand, deed guards are not triggered by local commands like tower guards.

Edited by Klaa

Please please fix. It seems like there could be so many ways to fix this, like underground guards being ported to the tower if you cant get them to path out. But I have to go through my mine once a week maximum to get the guards out, otherwise I will have maybe one tower guard not in the mine. And currently I only have one entrance with a single one square tunnel connected to it in range.

But I have to go through my mine once a week maximum to get the guards out

To clarify, this means going through and murdering any guards you find anywhere inside a mine. Which is mostly an irritating hassle for many players but close to impossible for the newest players who rely on tower guards the most.

To clarify, this means going through and murdering any guards you find anywhere inside a mine. Which is mostly an irritating hassle for many players but close to impossible for the newest players who rely on tower guards the most.

Actually I kite them out, because my fight skill isn't so great, and then i run away, it's still a pain though.

Deed guards will teleport to reach an area that they cant walk to due to obstruction above and below ground. Maybe if the tower guards used the same thing it would fix their worthless work ethic. On the pvp servers this issue is a lot more significant. While tower guards are not difficult to kill individually in packs they can a danger especially to a raiders horse. But not if the never come out of the damn cave

Had to go tower guard fishing again so I decided to bump this thread, woo!