Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Saturday Night Factional Fight - Newbie Tips And Tricks

Hi, Faeran and I are back on Deliverance after a long holiday at the impalong. In our latest episode we are back at it, continuing where we left off, however, we have been presented with a new goal and a lofty one at that. To construct the Factional Fight village. For this we need dirt, and a lot of it. Together, we discuss many tips and tricks for the newbie player and it turns out we have a lot to say. Watch it at www.serversaredown.com

We hope you enjoy!

Griphyth

• Like 3

i watched the video you did on the 1.0 release.... loved it

nice this will give me something to watch while i mine tonight :)

Let us know if it you felt it was too long. We had lost track of time while recording and we thought it might be. Our goal will be to keep episodes within an hour long or so.

I personally like the longer videos and have watched everyone you guys have put out from beginning to end but for the average YouTube viewer the time would be long. You might consider making a few shorter ones and test to see if they get more views. I know a lot of the successful YouTube guys are doing 15-20min videos on the lets play things but anyone that plays Wurm would understand things take time, lol

• Like 2

Another great video!

I'll have to listen again, but I think there might need to be some clarification on the impact of fasting. I think you said the only drawback to fasting (to refill hunger) was a slight loss in nutrition, so you advised new players to go ahead and fast and not to stop skilling up to eat. Fasting actually can have a rather large impact on fat layers: http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fasting A player will not be able to keep fasting forever, eventually they have eaten through all their fat layers and are down to "skin and bones" and their food will drop to 0% and they will be unable to do most actions. I know also you get hungry faster when you have (low nutrition? low fat layers? maybe both?) so burning up those fat & nutation rexserves too carelessly means it will take even more food to get back to your former levels. This is less of an issue for a player who is part of an organized village where food is easier to come by, but if you are already having a hard time simply staying fed, you've now aggravated the situation even more, and now need even more food supplies to stay fed than before. So while you won't starve to death and needing to fast on occasion is not a severe issue, I don't know that I would recommend "fasting" as a regular game strategy (except for those characters with meditation or easy ways to "refresh" perhaps, or those in established villages where food supplies are plentiful)

One easy newbie trick though -- when you are in your first 24 hours and getting free food in the tutorial (and ingame the first 24 hours), eating very frequently and anytime the hunger bar is down a bit, will help build up your fat layers before you are even out of tutorial ^_^ so instead of being a scrawny "skin and bones" newbie early on, you'll be able to start out with maximum fat layers which will be a big help on those rare occasions where you really must "fast" to refill hunger bars. As long as you have easy access to a bartender, keep stuffing that face every chance you get, nom nom!

Now this next part if just my own personal opinon, but I also think wood fences are so much easier for new players as a low quality stone wall will require you to constantly keep filling carts with stone shards for repairs, while a wood fence is so much easier to repair as planks repair much more than a stone shard (repairs 40 damage vs 10 damage) , and you can easily carry in inventory enough planks to repair your entire enclosure area (and you don;t even need to repair till you are starting to get heavy enough damage to justify one plank per 40 damage). However stone walls do decay slower, but repairing the same 40 dmg on a stone fence requires four shards to reapir (probably more as you lose the shard on repair failure) and unless you are already doing a lot of work either grinding mining or extending your mines, it takes more time and resource management to get and carry the stone shards is a hassle. Rummaging for stone shards can also be problematic if you are in an area where other people have exhausted the rummage capabilities of any exposed rock (less a problem if you are far from the start area, and there's locks of bare rock face in the general area). Anyone though who enjoys and does a lot of mining, plushas access to a mine system for producing stone easily, probably will find stone walls a lot easier over the long run.

Anyway, kudos again as ServersAreDown.com is gradually becoming one of Wurm's best resources for new players and people interested in trying out the game!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Or anyone who doesnt want their horses escaping for the nth time in as many months.

At least until Rolf breaks stone walls, which he has done in the past as well, and which I have lost animals to as well ^_^ So far I have lost animals twice to wood fences and once to stone fences, and to me that's not a "carved in stone" type of insurance. Never underestimate Rolf's ability to break new code as fast as we can adjust to broken past codes :P

Also wood fences tend to be a lot more "environmentally friendly" to an area if there are a lot of people entering and leaving the game in an area. I sometimes go through and (being the Fo-loving hippie nature freak I am) convert old abandoned areas back to natural settings again, and places made out of wood are a lot easier to get back to nature and make Wurm look less shabby and a wrecked ghosttown, than areas all made out of stone then abandoned after a few weeks. Plus new players will not always find the first area they settle in, is really their best choice for the long run, and having a "temp home" the first month in the game usually gives them a better idea of what they should look for in a more permanent settlement. Investing too much effort into the very first place they set up a shack, can make it harder later when they realize there are even better places for them farther out in more remote areas. Also since some players get rock shards from a local public mine, I have found that encouraging a lot of heavy rock usage means new players are often mining out mine floors as a "fast" source of rock shards and this ends up causing a lot of long term and near-permanent damage to those public mines (while we now have concrete for repairs, its not really something very efficient to do). Trees at least can be replanted and are a more renewable resource especially in a new player area, but thats my tree-hugger bias showing through as well ^_^

Also, I personally love the longer videos but I agree the Youtube community might find them harder especially if they are not already emootionally attached to the game. Maybe a series of shorter ones is especially good for "newbie tips and tricks" type episodes, maybe focusing 15-20 minute segments on How Tos: 1) making a safe area for yourself 2) finding local resources 3) Health & first aid 4) Finding other players to socialize with, etc so that there are longer videos that give a better sense of Wurm's easy going "time" cycles and "slow down to enjoy the roses," and also a special "One Shot" series that are more aimed at grabbing those with much shorter attention spans (you could even use a little "time lapse" video in those to "fast forweard to the good parts," just keep the longer leisurely ones too, as those better capture Wurm's essence. Thanks!! .

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

The other benefit of wood fences is they will want to change their mind when they realize they need more room, and a wood fence is easier to bash so so that they can do something else. Think of it as the draft fence that they can convert to stone later on once they are sure of permanence. Which in this game you cannot be sure a noob is going to stick around, so do not leave the rest of us to have to deal with them leaving stone fences behind. Houses can also be upgraded in place from wood to stone by bashing the walls and doing it one by one.

If you have a deed the decay of a wood fence does not matter, and if you are off-deed it is much much easier to keep repaired. A stone fence is 10 shard and 1+ per 10 dmg to upkeep, thus 50 stone mine tile is enough to make 5 fences but not enough to upkeep them. A wood fence is 2 shaft 2 plank 1 small nails. One log is 2 fences, as a log is 4 planks and 4 shaft and 12kg wood scraps to keep the campfire going for making the nails which are easy to obtain from iron rummage. An overaged tree is thus 16 fences and you only need the occasional plank when you see the mold set in. The other advantage of wood fences is you develop your wood shack building skills, and can make a bigger house as a result.

The other guy doing videos ZoomZoom (support them all!) had a very good 15m tutorial on the basics of raw, stews, casseroles and meals. Short enough that I can link it to a noob in game and say here watch this because reading the wiki and my alliance trying to explain in chat is way too complicated compared to a simple show and tell. Especially when the alliance starts arguing about what how a stew is made because its been so damn long since any of us had to make a stew. So tips and tricks should be a single topic reference video, which of course can plug the hour long video.

Edited by yarnevk

Wanted to share body control improvement I discovered myself that is so much better than chopping trees with swords that you might think it is a broken exploit as it is that good.

Dual wield QL1 weapons on a high QL oakwood fight dummy. Need wood and pumpkin. You skill your fighting, your weapons and your body control, and you can use your sleep bonus while doing it. Fight until your stamina is down and take a break imping your fight dummy and you also skill your carpentry. If you use low QL pinewood and your actual weapons, the fight dummy does not last long.

Edited by yarnevk

As a new char i will chose small stone walls all the way, rocks are easyer to get in my experience, and even with wood you end with 2 skills interfering with the final ql you can get, you need to top your woodcuting skill to get nice logs, and also top your carpentry to get good planks, and not forget the nails and the shafts, in the other hand you only need to top mining, to get good shards with translate into good lsw. Finding trees to chop is not allways so easy and, but rock is more easily available, and you will need to mine anyway tho get the nails, so i say save the nails for your shack and make lsw, easy to make, good resistance, easy to repair and easy to improve too.

For body control, at low levels the bow path is a good one, you get some bc for using your bow, and also get pretty decent bc from fletching, so is a win, win.

PD: my first legal enclosure ever was all their fences lsw, and i got the shards with 0 mining just hauling lots of shards that people have left in the public mine, even some of the sections where made with rooted shards, and once all where up i just got more free shards to repair and improve all of them.

Edited by KunAlt