Sign in to follow this  
yarnevk

Stop Butchering My Dead Mobs With Your Shovel!

How about I butcher whatever I come across whether I kill it or not? I have a right to butcher something, and since the purpose of the guard is to defend against mobs, not as a way to procure meat or animal bits, making it ok for me to butcher the dead animals -.-

Can you show me the rule and or feature and/or a developer post from which this statement come?

If you kill something on someone elses deed(hundreds of deeds without templars) then you should be able to pick the corpse up. This probably bugs the hell out of me the most. I did the work and someone who doesnt even have templars gets to keep the goods. These days if I am on a highway and this happens I just bury the corpse without butchering.

Can you show me the rule and or feature and/or a developer post from which this statement come?

Explain to me the purpose of the Deed Templar then

How about I butcher whatever I come across whether I kill it or not? I have a right to butcher something, and since the purpose of the guard is to defend against mobs, not as a way to procure meat or animal bits, making it ok for me to butcher the dead animals -.-

And how about the guard attack anyone touching anything on a deed without permission as well as follow into perimeter to kill your thieving butt..

Explain to me the purpose of the Deed Templar then

To defend the deed inhabitants, provide some meat and animal bits and keep the perimetral lamps filled, also wen a deed run out of upkeep they sayd that templars get demoralized and stop the repairing, so repairing structures too. (i´m pretty sure that decay protection works on templarless deeds, so i thin this las one is pure bs, but the msg still appears)

As you can see, there is no rule or developer word about the templars functions being limited to one task, but most players like to make a guess about how things work, and also like a lot to spread his guess as if that guess comes from the heavens, and blessed by the wurms gods, but i can make a different guess, and because there is no official word about this, my guess have the same value as yours.

This is no different than the cotton picking bug where you could walk on a deed and get seeds by picking the the cotton instead of stealing it. Its a bugged or not thought of mechanic that needs to be fixed.

Unless you kill the mob you have no rights to it unlike the deed which pays for those tiles and guards.

Edited by Protunia

And how about the guard attack anyone touching anything on a deed without permission as well as follow into perimeter to kill your thieving butt..

Rude much? It isn't theiving what so ever. I have not the ability to remove items from the deed. But the purpose of the templar would really be to defend the deed, I would say that meat and bits are a perk of having a templar, not solely to attain said items. Over all I see nothing wrong with butchering dead animals, if someone wants the large amount of meat by butchering then go kill a mob and butcher it, stop complaining about someone else butchering the dead animals -.-

Look no matter what he gets the meat!.. why is he complaining he wants meat he gets meat, most of the wandering monsters he is complaining about low meat might have been hungry or close to starving when carved so he says he is losing meat by people carving it doesnt matter who carves it, and before you start with your but my butchering skill is blah, for all he knows who ever is butchering the suicidal starving aggros has a greater butcher skill :P nothing should be changed unless that one thing is animal pathing, i dont care if people butcher mobs that run by my deed... i just pick em up and drop em off deed for any hungry noob that wanders by or put it in the coffin right off deed

You know very well if low skilled butchers with the wrong tools butcher a mob they get 0-1 meatsl. Stop trying to pretend they just all happen to be starving on the days someone else butchered them, on the days I butcher them they are not starving and I get the 3-5 meats. None of the mobs are ever starving they are new spawns to replace the ones that got butchered the day before. I know that because I live here and I see the mobs that live here, you do not. I also know who comes thru here, and they are not great hunters killing the mobs and leaving me a minor scrap as a thank you for skilling their butchering.

You know very well exactly who is doing this, new players seeing big dead mobs that they have no chance of killing, cutting it open with their shovel or carving knife, trying to pick up the meager scraps and getting the no Karma message and asking in CA chat why cant I pick up the road kill here and the CA answers because it is a deed and the noob says whats a deed. That is who is butchering my mobs, and you know it very well who is doing it. Stop pretending it is other than what it is. They are not griefing they are just ignorant, just as I was. I know for damn sure the body bags right next to the mob are the noobs that did not make it before the bear got to them before my guard got to the bear, they most certainly are not the great hunters trying to get the mob before they get to my deed. The pottery bowl with the herb casserole gives them away......

Before I got here all of these mobs are where my deed is its not like my guard puts a sign up saying suicide into me. come right over here. They are wandering just as they did before I got here. These are not people they are animals. Animals are however indeed that stupid, when they spawn they look for food. I just happen to be where they would have gone before I got there, with even better food that was there befrore. Why should they stop coming here? Do you think when they died they told there newly spawned brothers not to go to my deed if they don't want to die?

However If I put someone on KOS that I tracked butchering the mob, I am pretty sure they are not going to be stupid enough to keep coming back. Its not rude because game rules allow such behavior, right? I mean they would probably have died anyways from the next suicide bear diving for my border, so I am just getting them back to noob spawn faster before the next bear gets them, so I will be doing them a favor. Because how is that different than leaving guard aggro off and let them bears roam when I am offline so they can get some noobie snacks they like so much? Game mechanic allows it so it must not be rude, and certainly not griefing, its not against the rules and even suggested.

All this because you got a thing against meat farms? Then go boycott the meat farm economically, make sure everyone knows not to buy their meat or any animal products from them. Someone getting meat for themselves and pets where they live is not a meat farm. Someone making carts and smithing lamps is not a hunter. The game provides a templar service because you know very well you would never want to do the job of the templar which is what that 'ad' I put up was for, the templars job. Not everyone who might want to play the game wants to be a hunter, and those hunters out there certainly do not want to stand on someone else deed doing nothing but repair fences and wait for a mob to cross the line every single hour or day the other person is on.

Edited by yarnevk

I used to play back at the start of Gold 2, Creatures used to avoid deeds when possible there was a loophole in the system where you could trick animals to enter the deed from the corner - This was considered a bug (so the concept of animals avoiding deeds was a feature). So i believe it is a bug that animals wander onto players deeds anyway. If that bug is fixed, you won't have to worry about players stealing your butchers while you sleep.

About 2 years ago this was still working as youre explaining... it was really hard to lure mobs onto your deed... would be awesome to have that back

Edited by whykillme

if mobs dont enter your deed, wth use is a templar then? (i dont see rolf doing that as that templar is a money maker) also i cant turn mine off. the amount of trolls and fiends i get a day is insane. My mines attract a ton of aggros, animals always spawning inside it ^^. i got 70 fs, but wat i seen caves build up, yea my fs cant deal with that many..lol Also if ya take away aggros entering deeds ya take away new players way of gaining meat while they get there fs up. As older players we all should be thinking about the little guys too, not just ourselves. As for butchering on deed, Who cares, neighter butcher them daily on ur own or someone else will. People that managed to make it to my place alive ask me if they can butcher i tellem i dont care, hell i lettem groom my animals for AH grinding. if i really need meat bad enough i go huntin for it. my templar is basically a meat shield for the mass amounts of cave bugs-lave fiends n spiders, trolls, hell hounds i get daily. (good thing he has endless lives, hes used up a good 1000 last month alone haha) XD

• Like 1

The Templer guard kills is one of my pet peeves. Truth is when I walk by a deed with 10,20+ kills I start butchering the kills. The way I see it your little killing machine is costing me FS so I may as well get some butchering skill out of it.

If using the theory back a few years where animals shouldn't enter deeds, then the Templars were primarily there to kill Outlaws (shouldn't exist anymore) and Enemy players (Chaos specific now) or Waring deeds (also doesn't exist). I'm sure the idea behind town guards were to hinder attackers, kill any (aggressive) animal passing town.

Edit: Also since you had to have deed guards regardless back then, i believe they were also the reason they prevented wall decay ondeed. When this feature was changed so you could have 0 guards, i believe they initially didn't stop the decay ondeed walls, but this was later fixed/changed (i might be wrong with this, i know there was a bug of some sort)

Edited by MetalDragon

if someone wants the large amount of meat by butchering then go kill a mob and butcher it, stop complaining about someone else butchering the dead animals -.-

But by the same token, one could say "stop complaining about not being able to butcher animal corpses on the private property someone else has bought, if someone wants butchering skill, go kill a mob, or spend your coin to get a deed and hire a Templar."

About 2 years ago this was still working as youre explaining... it was really hard to lure mobs onto your deed... would be awesome to have that back

How does this benefit you personally? Do you run a meat selling business and feel the Templar is cutting into your profits? Is there really that great a shortage of mobs to kill in the world?

I'm just not seeing why so many people deem it their business what happens on someone else's deed.

The Templer guard kills is one of my pet peeves. Truth is when I walk by a deed with 10,20+ kills I start butchering the kills. The way I see it your little killing machine is costing me FS so I may as well get some butchering skill out of it.

The fact that I can't cut down trees on your deed is costing me woodcutting xp. Could someone please find me a match? I feel I should be entitled to burn down his forest.

Of course I really don't, because I'm of the opinion that what's on your deed is yours even if I really want it. Sets a very dangerous precedent on a slippery path for all these people to suggest otherwise.

What do you mean I can't farm your fields on your deed... what about the farming xp I deserve? Match please.

This should really just be another setting in the options for settlements:

Allow Butchering? yes/no

Easy to say, harder to implement. Still should be an option.

This is the best option. That way, all the people who feel should absolutely be able to butcher on other people's deeds can spend the money to buy a large deed, spend the money to hire a Templar, and then allow everyone else to come and freely butcher the corpses on their property. Make sure you advertise it!

They're entirely free to run their deed that way if they want to. How they run their deed is none of my business.

• Like 1

Depending on how many deeds there are in your area it takes a few days to build up a 10 to 20+ body count..this means no one in the village has logged in or butchered the kills in a few days..you want to butcher them i suggest you log in more often.

As far as the debate over they are "your" kills Im not buying it...If there is any change to it I hope it gets changed to where when someone butchers a corpse the items auto go in backpack.

This is, from the time being, the most nosensical statement in the entire post.

This is, from the time being, the most nosensical statement in the entire post.

Why thank you and i will continue to butcher any kills on deedor off deed.

if i see 1 more post that templars steal FS im personally gonna find ya in real life and smack you with a plank. Exodus has more aggros then i care to count. they are everywhere, no shortage of fs at all. So all of you tossing the statement that templars steals your FS, stop being lazy and leave ur home and do wat the rest of us do and actuall go hunting. There is no excuse for FS hunting. mobs are everywhere. However if by some strange luck your server has a shortage of Aggros, come to Exodus to hunt, youll find you wont be able to drain our server of aggros even if ya bring 100, they spawn pretty fast and theres tons ofem.

• Like 1

Look read the deed title, guards reinforce your setting, and you can still kite mobs in if they werent suicidal ... i say change the AI or atleast make them for raiding parties :P

I have a simple solution to this problem:

Make it so the deed guards only kill creatures when the mayor is online. Creatures that walk onto your deed can't hurt you while you're offline and since you want the meat there's no point in letting the corpses lie around there to rot while the mayor's not online. This way the mayor gets dibs on them. Fair, no?

• Like 2

statement removed... decided not to get involved lol

Edited by Lolly1

come on lolly join the fun and i like aeris but make it that they only kill mobs that are attacking someone in deed, like say a random person gets chased into the village , all you need to do is pretty much do the tower guards True/False check for when you yell help in chat but apply it to passing monsters, and if they are targeting someone they go and attack the mob

like say a troll is just passing by, it lets the troll just go by unless it bashes and junk, then a random person happens to walk by not knowing about the troll and walks into its aggro range, once the troll targets the player the templar can spring into action, so no actives no actions no random body counts

I pay for a templar specifically because it serves as, essentially, an AI-driven hunter on my deed. It supplies me with meat for my cooking and taming needs as well as paws for my healing cover crafting. Probably 3-5 corpses daily.

If it didn't function that way, I wouldn't pay for it.

I can see the arguments from both sides of the fence on this issue, and both sides have a valid perspective; the issue is not cut and dry either way. But the simple truth is that I suspect a lot of people like myself only pay for a templar for the food generation. If it wasn't for that, I'd just fence/wall my deed wherever I'm concerned about hostiles wandering in, and save myself the upkeep fee for a templar. And yes, if my templar's on-deed kills were fair game for anyone to butcher and haul the meat/pelt/paws/etc off, then that would detract from the value of the templar sufficiently that I'd probably cancel mine.

For the few non-paying people this actually impacts, the money that templars generate for the devs is probably sufficient for them to side with folks on my side of the debate.