Sign in to follow this  
guitarxe

Cpu Is Constantly At Near Full Load When Playing Wurm

I have an i5-2500k and I find that when I play Wurm my CPU is often at 90-100% load. That's not good because then it tends to heat up really quickly and I don't want to keep it that way.

A friend of mine mentions he also uses this processor but his load is only around 50%. Someone else mentioned that I change in the compatibility tab all the drop down menus to "Extension" and uncheck all the checkboxes there. I did that and the game suddenly started loading up my CPU to 50-60% only. That was yesterday. For some reason playing today it's again the same issue... 90-100% load on the CPU.

Why is that? And what can I do about it? I know the game likely hasn't gone through a good optimization phase, but this is very troublesome for me and I'd really appreciate if someone could suggest something.

Nothing to suggest much. Java platform games always tend to drain your PC resourses dry. Always been like that, always will be. The best solution would be to get a descent CPU cooler, so even its working 100% its tempereture doesnt exceed 60 degrees. But despite even that, you have nothing to worry about your intel CPU, impossible to blow it up as it has in-built security that makes CPU shut down completely (switch off PC) once it reaches 99 degrees on any core. AMD on the other hand would be a big hasle.

I think by default you aren't meant to have anything checked in compatibility... so maybe when you checked something that is what caused it? also, when you changed it, did you hit the save button on the bottom of options page, if not it's back to the old problem

I'm having this issue as well; it's been my main problem with 1.0 (the client progressively eating up all CPU time as opposed to memory). The client has always been CPU-hungry, but never like this. CPU activity tends begin spiking after a while of playing, and this keeps on until it finally freezes and crashes. i7 870 here.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

Not sure if this will help, but I know my CPU usage spiked quite a bit when I upped the Model Loading Thread count. I turned it back down to 4 threads (i7 860 @ 3.6GHz) and it seems to work fine now.

The model animations are very CPU heavy. You could try reducing the animation quality.

My problem was resolved - not client related.

Edited by Snoo

Stable or unstable clients? Can you see if there is a difference between the two clients?

You can also try making a new config with the default settings and see how that performs.

Stable or unstable clients? Can you see if there is a difference between the two clients?

You can also try making a new config with the default settings and see how that performs.

Default config is what I was using (save for a different resolution and windowed mode) before I started fiddling with it to bring the CPU load down. This was on the stable client (which is default, I'm guessing?) I'll try the unstable client and see what difference that makes, thanks.

Which GPU are you using?

I have 2x NVidia gtx460 1GB in SLI mode. Only one is ever put under load when I play Wurm, and it rarely goes above 40% load. I don't think my GPU has anything to do with this as it seems that even for graphics processing the application uses the CPU.