Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Memory Leak Fix And Some Other Client Updates

• Flickering “disco” lights fixed
  • Memory leak in collada animation system fixed
  • There was a bug where you could crash when you watched players enter and exit mines. This has been fixed in the unstable (test) client and we would be really grateful if you could test that so we can get it on the stable client as soon as possible.

View the full article

Priorities, thanks a lot. :) That crash bug was awful!

Little confused with the "test" client label I've seen used for some fixes. Guess I should get on unstable.

Things certainly seem better FPS wise with the unstable client but I haven't tried some of the really bad village areas. Certainly the mine issue seems fixed, I'd crash like clock work watching folks exit mines and didn't last night.

I'm a bit confused by the post time, the unstable client claimed the mine issue was fixed yesterday and that's when I didn't crash when I would have before. The FPS stuff seems new as of today.

Sad it couldn't be fixed before the end of Willow's Impalong but nonetheless it is terrific that you got the memory leak fixed :D

I was crashing 30-40 times a day for 2 weeks :/

Thank you Dev Team! :D

Patch notes.

But no post as to why 2 servers are down.

Wurm 1.0 :lol:

IRC title updated

Welcome to Wurm Online! www.wurmonline.com | Slightly overcast with a chance of Release server being down until the Swedish morning'
Edited by GreenHero

thanks for shut down our servers for fixes i dont know there was a bug damn.

Edited by Kurator

From IRC just now...

Egal Chaos server is starting now.

Egal Sorry for the delay

Egal I'll look at the other server now

is it normal that unstable client uses 1.2-1.4 GB of RAM on default settings ? I've heard that memory usage varies on OS type and total memory size (i'm using win xp 32bit with 2 GB of RAM). Wanna hear if it's still memory leak or increased requirements because before release i was able to run 2 clients without changing settings

• Like 1

Sounds great if it works...

Thank You!

Edited by Sklo:D

is it normal that unstable client uses 1.2-1.4 GB of RAM on default settings ? I've heard that memory usage varies on OS type and total memory size (i'm using win xp 32bit with 2 GB of RAM). Wanna hear if it's still memory leak or increased requirements because before release i was able to run 2 clients without changing settings

I'm still running over a gig on both clients I'm attempting to run as well. This is with medium settings.

Can someone from game developers team tell us current system requirements for default and minimal settings ?

• 600+ mhz
  • 128mb ram
  • GeForce2 or better, with recent drivers (OpenGL 1.4 is required)
  • Java 2, Standard Edition version 1.4.2 or better (click the button to the left)

But that was, of course, back in 2003. :lol:

Most of configuration is from your Java install, the jnlp file actually specified very little in terms of memory configuration, just setting bounds around heap allocation. This is why you get such wide variances in memory usage.

My own for example, 64bit Debian with the Sun Java executables shows one instance of the client (medium settings) taking 2200MB but when I remove shared memory/libs and non writeable memory blocks it drops down to 1650MB allocated by Wurm. On older machines with a smaller memory footprint it was a smaller memory allocation. You can configure Java to constrain various apps but generally I find its better to just leave it alone if you can.

Im not a client dev but maybe something like this,

You do need a multi core cpu and would go for at least 4 gb ram. And maybe nivida gtx 660 card with 1gb memory.

Turn of all sounds to decrease the games Ram use if you have problems with the memory.

cheers!

Im not a client dev but maybe something like this,

You do need a multi core cpu and would go for at least 4 gb ram. And maybe nivida gtx 660 card with 1gb memory.

Turn of all sounds to decrease the games Ram use if you have problems with the memory.

cheers!

I am not really an expert in this area.

Could i turn down the sounds in the settings but then turn up the volume on my headset or won't this work? :P

I am not really an expert in this area.

Could i turn down the sounds in the settings but then turn up the volume on my headset or won't this work? :P

Nope lol

You have to actually turn disable the sound engine in the settings. On a side note, this is useful for alt-configurations.

I'd just like to note that the memory leak and light fixes have been in the stable client for more than a few days now, however the cave fix being pushed to the unstable client has been a few days. This blog posting is actually a bit late. There was no new client released when the blog posting was made, it had already been done.

If you're ever unsure if a change is in your client, look at the change log tab in the launcher before logging into the game. This will tell you what has been changed in the client you are CURRENTLY using. If a change isn't listed, you may have an old client and may need to redownload the .jnlp file to ensure the latest client is run.

Are we still suposed to use software sound mode. In the sound settings there is an option for openAL hardware sound. I was told long time ago that it should be set to software since only software mode is supported.

A memory leak means that as you play, the game uses more and more memory until you run out and the game crashes. If it's staying at 1.2 to 1.4 gb of ram the entire time you're playing, then you are not seeing a memory leak.

Are we still suposed to use software sound mode. In the sound settings there is an option for openAL hardware sound. I was told long time ago that it should be set to software since only software mode is supported.

Using openAL hardware sound almost for 1.5 year already but i've installed openAL for that. http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Edited by Jerrywalker

Things certainly seem better FPS wise with the unstable client but I haven't tried some of the really bad village areas. Certainly the mine issue seems fixed, I'd crash like clock work watching folks exit mines and didn't last night.

The FPS issue seems moderately better but it's still pretty brutal approaching certain large villages. Some are just rough, others can't even be approached.

Can these villages be looked at (I can show a dev sometime) to determine exactly what's causing the issues. Then in order of preference:

1) Fix the cause

2) Describe the cause so client graphics can be tuned by player (options enabled, disabled etc)

3) Describe the cause so offending items can be removed from village.

Note it's not as simple smoke/fire particles. In some cases it's seems to just be an issue of loading many new graphics as you approach the village; FPS drops to 0 or 1 for a bit and then returns to 40-60+, in other cases it drops to 0 or 1 and stays there.

These are not isolated to one bad computer/configuration, we have 20-30 people all experiencing the same behavior at these villages.

Edited by belthize

FPS for myself personally hasnt been an issue even in the crowded and densely developed areas until the memory leak after an hour or so has doubled and even tripled the amount of memory the javaws is using and still climbing up over 1.5 gigs. If it would stop hogging memory over time until closed and stay at a reasonable level i'd have no issue.

Sign in to follow this