Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Next Year's Impalong #2

Hello Everyone,

Many people have been talking about it, and quite some people want to organize it, the impalong for the year 2013!

To make sure we do not have everyone working on a place to hold the impalong, and split up the player base by 15 people going to

each and every impalong that will be made this year, i think we should keep a "vote" on which place this will be.

At the end of this Impalong i will start a poll where people can vote for their most wanted impalong organizer.

What will you need?

- You need to be trustworthy to the general population

- You need to be known to the general population (prefered)

- You need to be knowledgeable with names, some people can't be trusted and should not be allowed on writs

- You need to have a deed with a good location for access by land and sea

- You need to have the deed build correctly for the Impalong, have the houses, Inn, Imping Lump, Wood by the time the Impalong starts.

Other people can help you with gathering those items, but you would have to ask them of course, instead of expecting everything to be done by itself

- You can come up with minigames for people to compete in to win prizes, just like Willow does now. (Except for 2012, its to laggy at the moment).

- Location prefered on Indi/Deli (But will have to be seen when the other 2 servers get connected, if they are even connected by then!)

As you can see this requires quite some time organizing. If you need help building, you can always ask other players to help you out.

As for the poll that will be made when enough people have signed up, or a couple of weeks from now, the voters might want to know some things about you:

- Your Location for the Impalong (Reachable by boat for everyone). (That is, if you have already build it, if you sign up without a locations so be it, might bet better if the other servers get connected).

- Something about yourself (character name, how long have you been playing etc).

- Why do you want to organize it

What you do need to understand, is that if someone wins the vote, you really have to back out from organizing it, and not be greedy and organize it elsewhere causing the playerbase to split up, it's about having fun and helping players after all.

Greetings,

WhyKillMe

*** If everyone has any suggestions on what else should be added to this post, feel free to mention it. ***

People that signed up so far:

Edited by whykillme

I think it's a great idea to let the community decide where they want to see the next Impalong rather than someone calling it becuase they feel they want to do it for whatever reason. Afterall, it is a community event and it should be for the community, and not for the organizers. If someone really is suitable and the whole game community feels he is best it will show from the votes, rather than from a forum thread just becuase they posted it first.

May the most suitable host be voted ;)

• Like 1

This one was fairly close to the santa table which was nice, because of the 99% nutrition it gives. Last a long time and gives a skill gain bonus. Keeping it close to that is a good idea.

Fairly close boat access is also a must for those on islands and other maps, unless they get around to adding a way to load carts and animals onto boat before then.

What is going to happen to Festival Cove?

Does Willow live there when its not invaded for the Impalong?

Did you even read my post?

We need a new locations/hoster :P

Having been to the Millennium Impalong and having hosted the one in Christmas 2009, I'd suggest that you go a bit further afield and possibly have an Impalong on a different server. I don't know whether you have server-wide or cluster-wide Impalongs, but I think things would be a lot more fresh if you set up on Deliverance or Exodus and therefore reduced travel time for a lot of people. I know firsthand how much of a mess the area around the Independence spawn was even two years ago, so I'd be very surprised if there was any room to throw up yet another Impalong site and be completely satisfied. If you're planning an Impalong this far in advance, choose a greenfield site and make the Impalong the best thing you possibly can without taking shortcuts or recycling old deeds. Set up near Santa too.

We can host it at Arcanum. I have plenty of room and easily accessible

Did you even read my post?

We need a new locations/hoster :P

I just asked a bloody question, just ignore it and be rude about it.

Honestly i think events like this should be held more often and alternate on central servers. Also i think more events should be held on individual servers to encourage community building. It will help newer players get into the game and learn while giving others a goal.

Festival Cove is Willow's deed and yes she does live there.

Festival Cove is Willow's deed and yes she does live there.

You're right; we need to kick her out for the next one.

Hi,

I'd suggest a special "Event Server" for this:

- with portals from anywhere, if possible (abuse protection)

- with limited accessibility (only during events, and player wipes/ server restores after)

- with only high QL resources

- fully GM ruled

When created, an impalong area could be built there as a community project. Maybe an alternative town/ area, too, to host spontaneous events like that MrBloodworth loved to do.

Built once, then frozen and restored when approbate.

I'm not sure if the impalong should still be hosted by players. We have great candidates, I'm very sure close to all of them would be capable to successfully host it, but I think we have reached the momentum where it should be made an official in-game event. And, tbh, I don't want to read the drama threads about "who gets it" - I have offered help to one candidate, but this doesn't mean I'd not support another in case of winning.

I don't want to see a fight about next years impalong, I don't want to get drawn in, so I offer another proposal.

We've seen the problems this year, with it being on an actual game server. Impalong is hard core stressing the hardware, nothing else that brings this many players to such a small area else. It should run on a dedicated server, IMHO, to cater these issues.

Maybe a special server for log-in, tutorial and event?

And I'd think it would be a great appreciation of Willows work if she'd be the last to have hosted a player made impalong. This would make her even more unique as she already is. I'd think she deserves.

Have fun!

• Like 1

I'd suggest a special "Event Server" for this:

- with portals from anywhere, if possible (abuse protection)

- with limited accessibility (only during events, and player wipes/ server restores after)

- with only high QL resources

- fully GM ruled

Just reading this list i can find one key issue - only high QL resources would mean people would be going there to grind said resources and walking home with them, you cant realistically limit portal use without pretty much killing the event there and then as people will hop back and forth repeatedly throughout an impalong. This would go further in hand with rarer veins where people would just abuse it to restock their homes, smelting down silver and gold gives you a 0.1kg lump, you could walk away with a large amount in theory.

I don't agree with the separate server however, it was only lag filled this year because 1.0 brought out two memory leaks that combined made any player gathering a lag filled mess; it's a knee jerk reaction to then go and drop the community element of it (i.e., hosting) just because a single years issues. Last year the impalong had many more in local at one time which didn't cripple the event and I'm sure the years before that were similar.

It should also be noted that, a host for next years impalong should be known to the community as a whole, not just your neighbours vouching for you - it still doesn't mean the community knows you and can rely on you to keep only trusted players on writs to keep it running smoothly, and solve any issues at hand.

Location should be on Independence, possibly in the south of the map as a counter to all the newer servers being stacked to the south of the server; As to why it should be is because whilst it looks like a longer trip from say, Exodus to Independence, it still takes anyone who lives on Independence longer to sail home than it does to sail to Exodus or Celebration. Another reason as to why Independence needs to be central is because of the huge portion of the premium player base living on Independence, more players play on Independence than Exodus and Celebration combined.

Edited by Aristia

Hi,

[...] only high QL resources would mean people would be going there to grind said resources and walking home with them [...]

Have I mentioned no resources might leave the event server? My fault, I admit. Thought it would be self-explaining.

Have fun!

Edit: Isn't this OT? I'll not follow the discussion here due to respect to OP, feel free to open a new thread, and give notice to me - or challenge me to write a suggestion thread about an "event server" :)

Edited by Xandra

Rolf will add an event server one day.

He just can't code this server yet because he hasn't got enough time.

Having one special event server for it would scale badly. Imagine the game growing like this for a bit longer, next christmas we're at around 15k players. Any special event server is going to crash and burn. That's also something this topic probably should take into account, the playerbase might be too big next year for just one impalong.

Edited by Ecrir

Like i suggested have an event for each server to keep players more spread out rather than a mob on a single server. Doing this would fix all the problems mentioned.

It's a good idea but I'd much rather see the community create, organise and maintain a community event rather than Rolf setting up a special server.

I am Tekada, mayor of Inner Sea Sanctuary and owner of Inner Sea Harbor. My server is Indy, deed location is 28x 36y. I have a 53x53. I have been playing for a while, i started on golden valley, and helped with the construction and laying of the great Amnesty Road. Granted, after the next phase started on the road, removing the sand barrier and replacing with slabs, I took a break. After returning, i became a super hermit on GV, then decided talking to myself wasn't so great anymore, as i started to answer myself. So i actually found someone in chat, and they suggested coming to the server independance. This is where i reside a bit over a year later.

Building area is ready to begin construction. Terraces are setup for buildings to hold alot of players, also setup to help players with computers that don't handle the visuals as well. Hoping to help those players reduce a bit of strain on the video card with the draw distance, as well as other factors. Multiple Players have already came forward to help, with construction and with materials. Also, is accessable by land from FM, withing a 8-10min walking distance. Accessable from Cave canal, kinoss canal, black dog canal, snake canal. So i am very well centralized.

Godoffal has come foward and has offered his assistance in building a Marina/Harbor connecting the two deeds for a harbor to hold a armada, as well as a rowboat, sailboat area.

Damascus has come foward to help with rockshards, for bricks for the constuction.

Halcyon Alliance is willing to help.

Zakerak has offered to repair and imp the old Elarial boat bridge to 71ql. (That should be a very long lasting bridge for sure)

Hogwash has offered to mine some silver for lighting(can't forget the skill involved with this act :P)

Raycg has agreed to help with Forges for the event.

Thorgot has said he would help with 2 90ql looms for the event.

Xerx has offered Dirt to help if it is needed.

Kincan has offered to help if help is needed.

Sklo has offered to help organize if need be.

I myself am wanting to build a boat bridge from the southern area to the halcyon area, that way if players do cross the deli boat bridge, there is a faster way across then going all the way around.

To the degree of why i want to do it: This is a giant community event, its for the community, its for the players. There should be no other reason to want to host this Christmas event.

If there are any questions, do feel free to address them to me. I will answer them if i am able, if i am not, i will try to do the research to find a viable answer.

• Like 2

I started about a week after the 2011 Impalong, so missed that one. And this year I lived on Cele, which is about as far as I can get from Indy on Freedom, so didn't attend. The idea of the Impalong is wonderful and unique to Wurm, but the game and server code aren't designed to handle the load they get. Add in the other 1.0 bugs, and you get a recipe for a frustrating day.

Holiday travel IRL is bad enough, so spending a day in cross-server travel cursing at memory leaks and bad wind just wasn't in the cards this year. Especially when server crashes, rollbacks, ship losses, fence bugs, and the like were happening. I wasn't going to risk the trip, because I didn't trust the basic stability of the game world. But the biggest reason of all that I didn't sail north was because I didn't want to leave my friends and neighbors behind over the holiday.

New players, who stand to benefit the most from these events, often can't find a ship to cross the sea anyway, and F2P players, who must be ever vigilant about their holdings, often can't risk a long trip into unknown lands.

So, I won't be celebrating an Impalong in 2013 unless it's on Celebration, with my friends and neighbors. Event server or no, there's no place like home for the holidays.

Edited by Garis

We'd like to volunter our village to organize the impalong next christmas. We're a village, on Independence, of three permanent residents who have a combined playtime of over 12 years, and friends who regularly visit from the other servers. We have played on all currently connected Freedom servers on the main cluster, aswell as the former JK-Home server.

Citizen History and Highlights

Xallo

Has been a member of Wurm since last beta, '06. He was previously a JK-H resident of Bear Bay in early Gold 2, as well as a former Champion of Magranon on the Wild server. During his stay on Wild, Xallo moved his Fo priest, Viribus, to Freedom in order to cast on mailboxes for dozens of people on Independence. After the organization of many raids, deeds, and slayings for over 3 years, he retired to the Independence server in July of 2011 with Alyeska for a more relaxed, yet exciting lifestyle. Since being a resident on the cluster, Xallo, along with the rest of his village members, has organized many unique slayings for the benefit of all participants, Freedom and ex-enemy Wild members alike. He has donated his time to every Impalong since the original on JK-H that Dannyiron hosted for the first time. With this self-experience and knowledge behind him, he hopes to be able to carry on this tradition of giving and selflesness to his own town in hopes of continuing the spirit of the Impalong for many years to come.

Alyeska

Has been a member of Wurm since early 2008. She had her own deed on JK-home, but moved to the Wild server when the Home servers were removed. Shortly after moving there she became a priest of Fo, enjoying the lifestyle of a horsebreeder and supplying the kingdom with mounts and pets. After joining multiple raids, chases and other events there, she moved to the Independence server together with Xallo to enjoy the more peaceful aspect of the game. Starting out on Independence, she has resided on every server in the cluster. She has organized events on every server, such as unique slayings like the Kyklops on Deliverance with 112 people and a lottery and a Halloween Festival with fun games and prizes on Celebration. Together with Whykillme and Xallo, she designed and built the starter town on the Exodus server, Esert. Still a priest to this day, she has always tried to be at any event to help with enchanting and healing. With the philosophy of giving is more enjoyable than receiving, she hopes to continue the kind holiday spirit in Wurm.

WhyKillMe

Originally started Wurm in 2008, but has been playing Wurm continuously since 2010 with Libertha, Silentnight, and Ediblesheep. With his friends, he settled in the Northeast part of Indepenence, further moving to the Southeast to form a notable town called Novus Minus. This deed was created mostly by Whykillme and Libertha, having a tunnel system that reached all the way to the top of the mountain covered by a deed. Further on down the road, Whykillme and his friends moved to Wild to a HoTS deed called Commoragh, and then moved on to form Bad Omen which towered above most other deeds with its impressive dirtwalls and design. After this, he moved to Jenn-Kellon with a group of people to form Desolation, and then continued to move on and join Alyeska and Xallo on Freedom. All throughout his history of playing, Whykillme has been an outstanding source of intellect and inspiration when it comes to designing and building magnificent deeds and the structures within them. His organizational skills helped him form some of the most impressive events that took place on the Freedom cluster, such as the slaying of Erik the Red Dragon, and the design and construction of Esert, the starter deed of Exodus. He has been active in the more recent Impalongs including this past 2012 Impalong. Whykillme has an alternate account on Pristine with a friend of his where he continues to help others start playing the game.

Our Deed

Muspellsheimr is located in the Southwest part of the Independence server near the Kinoss bay, making it easily accesable from any currently connected server. The travel time from North Independence is about the same as the travel time from North Celebration, or from the West coast of Chaos. If the two newest servers get connected to the current freedom cluster, we will consider re-locating to whatever will be the most central point then. From Freedom Market there is highway that leads all the way to Phoenix Enterprises, from which we are connecting a highway to our deed. By boat, we are very close to the Kinoss Canal for residents around the Inner Sea, but also on the ocean close to the southern and western server borders for residents from other servers.

We currently have one inn with 24 beds and an enchanted horse pen, a church with altars of each god, a very large dock for boat parking, and lots of other ammenities including a large mine with utmost veins, 6 "special" fishing spots, a cookhouse with 1000 frying pans, and a large horsestable for public horse-parking. We plan to have many large carts readily available for usage, as well as many craft-specific buildings (smithies, tailors, bakeries, carpenter houses). We will have a crafters-only inn, where every crafter that stays for multiple days will receive his or her own private room with a private enchanted pen, bed, and forge.

Why Us?

The primary reason, of course, we want to host the Impalong in 2013, and perhaps many years to come, is simply because we want to continue the tradition of giving. We love to concept of giving to others, and we want to help share that with others at our home. We feel that our village is capable of housing over a hundred people in local at a single time because our deed is not only quite desolate, but it is also in a conventient spot for most, whether by foot, or by boat. We feel that we are capable of handling this impressive task with our prior knowledge and skills in the organization of events. Because we are three full-time playing people, you will almost always find one of the deed-owners online, as well as any others who are given access to the deed permissions and writs.

for what it's worth, Dannyiron didn't host the first (xmas) impalong,

* Empty did the first one, started it on his own (what a trooper), but we had a much smaller player base, this was on a 3x3 island just outside of Newtown in a 1x1 house, i think me and Pacer finished the Newtown Eastern bridge that year.

* I hosted the next one at the same location expanded the island a little to accomodate additional forges and bigger house. Somebody else hosted one on MR-H i'm not sure who

* Ols? hosted the first one on Independence at Halcyon

* Willow has done it for the last 3 years over at Festival Cove.

Others have hosted impalongs throughout the year i belive, but i'm only counting Christmas ones.

Dannyiron hosted fight tournaments on JKH.

Edited by MetalDragon

After getting some advice, and consulting with others ...

I am herby requesting that the deed be removed from the running as its citizens has setforth the requirements of the impalong.

This argument is valid, and is far from invalid.

As to this, if the request is met, i will remove myself from this as well.

Edited by Tekada

Well, seems like nobody else is singing up so we will see what happens next year.

Me/Aly/Xallo will do one for sure, most likely on the east somewhere, better for the other servers aswell. (If they connect there)

As i'm sure more people were building a deed/place to hold this event, we will see how much of a mess next year will be and if player base is going to split up to much.