Sign in to follow this  
Garis

Emergence And Organization: Autocatalytic Sets

This one is for the devs, via MIT Technology Review. Article on autocatalytic sets:

http://www.technolog...origin-of-life/

They go on to show how evolution can work on a single autocatalytic set, producing new subsets within it that are mutually dependent on each other. This process sets up an environment in which newer subsets can evolve.

“In other words, self-sustaining, functionally closed structures can arise at a higher level (an autocatalytic set of autocatalytic sets), i.e., true emergence,†they say.

They point out that the economy is essentially the process of transforming raw materials into products such as hammers and spades that themselves facilitate further transformation of raw materials and so on. “Perhaps we can also view the economy as an (emergent) autocatalytic set, exhibiting some sort of functional closure,†they speculate.
Edited by Garis

Isn't Wurm 'autocatalyctic' already? To mine good iron you need a good pickaxe, for which you need good iron :) Other areas are also mutually needed/provide feedback stimulation, like farming or ropemaking.

Ok, honestly I'm just wondering what is your message ;)