Sign in to follow this  
Trepper

Regional Servers (Ie Jungle Ectera)

Here is my thought, make regional servers. Like open new set of servers that are tropical servers. They would have the standard things plus tropical things like teak and mahogany wood, bananas and oranges, Rice sugar cane and coffee or tea, blue slate, and granite. How ever doesn’t have grapes, potatoes, maple or cherry trees, slate and marble. You get the idea regional products that can’t be grown or collected on the other regions servers. This would facilitate trade between servers. Also make it harder for one player to have one deed and able to make everything, while introducing verity in the way things look. Maybe even different architecture in buildings from region to region. Possibly regional animals like ostrich, camels, lamas, sheep, and tigers, and pandas.

Edited by Trepper
  • Like 2

+ 1. I think it would add some great elements to the game.

You would have to make it so that the other servers stuff wouldnt grow there otherwise someone will just bring a few sprouts over and that will be the end of it .

You would have to make it so that the other servers stuff wouldnt grow there otherwise someone will just bring a few sprouts over and that will be the end of it .

I think the game just needs to implement sorta the concept of a climate where certain regions will always just slowly shift back to certain terrain types on their own if not maintained or deeded.

We do have regional resources in a sense already (ores and grapes), and we did have QL caps on certain servers in the past (forcing you to trade with wilders if you wanted nice iron).

I'm against new servers for the sake of new servers, I've never been a fan of dividing the playerbase.

If anything, i'd like to see the suggested concepts implemented into the existing servers. And perhaps the current regional resources expanded on.

Different climates would certainly be nice like that. Eventually having some freedom servers with jungles instead of forests would be a nice change. I do agree with Manifestation that new servers for the sake of new servers is bad, but considering the growth rate of the game it's going to require a couple of new servers every year at least if it keeps growing well, so it's not like the game won't need more new servers.

As for the things you want to limit, don't limit stuff like potatos. You won't ever foster trade on farming goods like that because for the current cooking system it doesn't matter if you use potatos, corn, onions, etc. So you might as well keep that unlimited. I'd really suggest not to make any farming stuff regional since due to the basic cooking system we have the kind of ingredients you use aren't that important. Potatos is probably a weird one to limit too since it's origin is found in South America, and there's plenty of jungle on that continent.

Edited by Ecrir

Yes thats a given the new items would only grow in say jungle terrian ectera. However good point

We do have regional resources in a sense already (ores and grapes), and we did have QL caps on certain servers in the past (forcing you to trade with wilders if you wanted nice iron).

I'm against new servers for the sake of new servers, I've never been a fan of dividing the playerbase.

If anything, i'd like to see the suggested concepts implemented into the existing servers. And perhaps the current regional resources expanded on.

Ok then add a special terrrian type per server and server unique items to grow there. give each server a different type of stone or shade of stone like slate or marble ectera. Mix it up a bit. By servers I am refering to the freedom linked servers where ships can sail from one to the next much like different contenents on a real world.

Different climates would certainly be nice like that. Eventually having some freedom servers with jungles instead of forests would be a nice change. I do agree with Manifestation that new servers for the sake of new servers is bad, but considering the growth rate of the game it's going to require a couple of new servers every year at least if it keeps growing well, so it's not like the game won't need more new servers.

As for the things you want to limit, don't limit stuff like potatos. You won't ever foster trade on farming goods like that because for the current cooking system it doesn't matter if you use potatos, corn, onions, etc. So you might as well keep that unlimited. I'd really suggest not to make any farming stuff regional since due to the basic cooking system we have the kind of ingredients you use aren't that important. Potatos is probably a weird one to limit too since it's origin is found in South America, and there's plenty of jungle on that continent.

Thank you that was my point not to add servers for the sake of servers but when new ones are added make then different in some way from the others giveing new and different pice to the game. Make one more oriental in its achetecture ectera. This would be when new servers are needed to be added do to player load.

Yes on what to limit I rely didnt do any heavy thought it was more of an example thena limit this said item. Good point though.

I would say yes to it but it would take an insane amount of coding and would basically have to restructure how the game functions to be able to connect with the rest of the world :/

-1. Incourages greed. Currently Slate and marble has had a greed effect on the newer players. Unless it can be added so the prices fall inline with the exsisting market then no go. Rolf still has to finish tweaking slate and marble. definite -1 to new servers, theres enough as it is.

Just to let you know slate marble greed not just affecting new players but also old ones that think they own wild lands just because they are here first...

I think Rolf already mentioned this in some of his visions for the future posts..

Opening new server to open a new server is in my opinion wrong.

But opening a new server where resources are different would truly starts new economy and active expeditions to retrieve goods and exotic products.

(Also it would be good to stop expanding south, it is a pain already to travel to Celebration from Indy against the wind)

+1

Ive always wanted to see a pure desert map, or in contrast, one just 97% water.

The desert one can still have varying regions with some plant life to completely barren (much much fewer locations for wells too). An ocean one could have small islands and atolls.

Edited by Klaa

The trick is to make a replacement set of everything on a server. This way you have a balance between self sufficiency and monopolistic greed, and still can do the new alts server to let the develop before joining for trade rather than merchant shipper colonization.. Sheeps wools vs. Llama wools. Mahogany vs. Maple. Marble vs. Granite. Leathers that stay what they are and not just a generic item, Celebration Cow vs. Deliverance Deer, all these differences still creates server trade because these things look different. Indy Marble is the best in the isles? So nobody else has marble? Does it matter when it is said Deli Granite is the best in the isles? Equal but perceived different even if just cosmetics. When you travel there things would just look different.

Even though flora and fauna as a result of environment should be the differences, as long as the last wood determines the wood type, you will never see any wood type trade.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Opening new server to open a new server is in my opinion wrong.

But opening a new server where resources are different would truly starts new economy and active expeditions to retrieve goods and exotic products.

(Also it would be good to stop expanding south, it is a pain already to travel to Celebration from Indy against the wind)

+1

Here Here on the no more south I agree. Also agree no need to make servers to make them but when needed to add mixing it up a bit would give that servers players something special to them

Ive always wanted to see a pure desert map, or in contrast, one just 97% water.

The desert one can still have varying regions with some plant life to completely barren (much much fewer locations for wells too). An ocean one could have small islands and atolls.

I had the same thought of the atols as well make it the center map and large so its a trad hub small trading island with desers one direction jungle servers another ectera

.. I like

The trick is to make a replacement set of everything on a server. This way you have a balance between self sufficiency and monopolistic greed, and still can do the new alts server to let the develop before joining for trade rather than merchant shipper colonization.. Sheeps wools vs. Llama wools. Mahogany vs. Maple. Marble vs. Granite. Leathers that stay what they are and not just a generic item, Celebration Cow vs. Deliverance Deer, all these differences still creates server trade because these things look different. Indy Marble is the best in the isles? So nobody else has marble? Does it matter when it is said Deli Granite is the best in the isles? Equal but perceived different even if just cosmetics. When you travel there things would just look different.

You hit the nail on hte head and said it far more eliquently then I did. Thank you.

Even though flora and fauna as a result of environment should be the differences, as long as the last wood determines the wood type, you will never see any wood type trade.

Outstanding point an item should look like the majority of the wood that went into making it. This would make a apple would ship expensive for example.

Thank you for your post

Outstanding point an item should look like the majority of the wood that went into making it. This would make a apple would ship expensive for example.

Thank you for your post

Of course it is common IRL that structural members are cheaper woods, and only the veneer is the decorative wood. So not solid applewood, but at least the majority of deck/hull planks should be applewood, rather than just the last peg. "BUT I CANT HAZ' crowd would complain....

Edited by yarnevk

Of course it is common IRL that structural members are cheaper woods, and only the veneer is the decorative wood. So not solid applewood, but at least the majority of deck/hull planks should be applewood, rather than just the last peg. "BUT I CANT HAZ' crowd would complain....

At this time in relative history veneers where nearly un heard of it was notmaly solid wood how ever ith inder structure could be different wood so true. That could eb a good think adter all some wood bend and give betters other sexpaind and dont let water in and woods like teak have natural oils that keep them against rot.

The unique foods ectera would have to be limited as to where they would grow that way players couldnt say bring a rice see back to indi and it would grow. Same with trees teak would make it only grown in a terian type unique to the region that has it. That way players could say plant rubber trees and export the rubber to the other servers ectera.