A few weeks ago I saw a travel documentary showcasing a horse race through the streets of some European city. The streets were quite narrow, and lined with thousands of cheering fans on both sides. This left only a small path for the riders to navigate their speeding horses! And the track was dirt or sawdust, and curved bent and twisted around a very few small city blocks. Everyone looked extremely excited and engaged - and the riders were really worked over when the event was done. There was even a huge wreck with horses and men falling to the ground and piling up on one another ... spectacular!

What does the community think about establishing some form of horse racing across the islands of Wurm?
/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_racing

There are of course the modern forms of horse racing that could be matched - - but - - it might also be very interesting to put a medieval or Wurm'ian twist on the sport! It is, after all, a different World!

• Like 1

if you want something like this then organise it yourself...

PS: Betting is not allowed

• Like 1

that sounds like very fun idea! Would definitely come down to see it!

"If you want the government to work better, fix it yourself."

Just sayin' ;P

Yes - I have been really considering how to make this plan work well - Thanks for the positive feedback so far.

I really thought it would be something I'd have to complete on my own anyhow - - I wasn't planning on the Dev's to be involved

Hm, I didn't know it wasn't allowed, but then again there are many rules that I don't know :P

There is no rule against it. Plus you could also charge racers a fee to enter and then winner gets a % of profits as winnings.

• Like 1

Aside from rider/racer fees, horse entry fees, there could also be a great Faire - merchant booth /setup fees, an Impalong during the race weekend - who knows what else ...

But my main concern was less about making money and potential for gambling as it was to test and press the limits of the horses, their breeding, and the rider's ability to manage their steed - with and without burdens, over different courses or obstacles, and so forth

Think of the price your Stallion would get once he won a few series of races - and was ready to mat with a High QL Mare!! Stud fees!

We had horse races (and cow races) at the Summer Festival in july. I used flags to mark the route so it was clear which streets to go down, with various sections (through forest, through village, etc). Much fun was had by all.

• Like 1