Sign in to follow this  
Joanavon

Has The Emote Volume And Reach Changed Lately?

Has the Emote volume and reach changed lately? because since i live next to the Serenity Starting deed of Strongbox we have alot of new players passing through or begin settled and what not in the area but lately it seems like the entire zone is an echo chamber of farts, slaps, insults, calls, and every other obnoxious emote sound. At first i thought it was one person in close proximity to me that deserved to be hit by a train but over time i'm noticing that it's not really any one person or people or that there is that many more or closely packed people. it's just that the normal (rude, dumb, childish, stupid) behavior that's always gone on and was alot quieter is now both really loud and travels a lot longer distance.

idk man i keep hearing ghostly kisses and hello theres all around as i travel, kinda freaky when you dont see anyone

• Like 1

In general I would like to see "local" be a lot more local and a lot less "all over the country side" that it is now.

Haha, there are times when I mistake the emotes that I hear with my friends talking on Teamspeak. It has been the cause of some confusion and hilarity. I haven't really noticed a large difference in the volume or distance of the emotes though.

Not on teamspeak but the emotes do seem to be coming from ghosts. Maybe its because I am digging and not looking around, and people fly past with the new running speed.

Or maybe the devs need to check their sound calibration so that distance propagation is more reasonable, more local. If local is 80 tiles and each tile is 2m, that is 160m. Relative to the sound level at 1 m that should be 6*log2(160) or 44dB down (which is 0.6% of the original .wav file). A shouting voice is 85dBSPL, but I doubt people are shouting at you and instead they are being conversational which is 50dBSPL. That puts someone at the edge of local at nearly the threshold of hearing, and given the ambient sounds of winds and water, you should not be able to hear them, and if they are shouting (or using tools) it would be library quiet and barely heard over the ambience.

Now I am assuming that someone in local is only saying hi if they see me, but where are they? Now the sound engine clearly varies level with distance as far as tool and mob noise go, but I am just not sure if emotes are using that the same way.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 1

Currently fighting, work/bashing/imping sounds, emotes, and the like are all carrying very far and loudly. every bash sounds like they are smashing your house walls in and every one of the incessant fart and curse emotes sounds like it's form someone 4 inches behind your head.

I would agree that the sounds carry too far. I had to turn off emote sounds entirely because of the fart-happy folks who moved in next door to my deed.

Work and combat sounds also carry too far. I can hear the sounds of anyone in Local and often hear sounds when there is nobody in Local at all. (Though I usually know where they are carrying from as many of the local deed are in our alliance.)

• Like 1

Currently fighting, work/bashing/imping sounds, emotes, and the like are all carrying very far and loudly. every bash sounds like they are smashing your house walls in and every one of the incessant fart and curse emotes sounds like it's form someone 4 inches behind your head.

Do you not hear any work sound differences based on distance, I do not disagree they carry to far, I am just trying to determine if all these sounds are at a constant level on your setup. I do hear distance differences.

there is mild variance and differences in direction of the work sounds but they all are far too loud for the actual distance, sometimes not even in the same local, as the source.

You would have to modify the sound a bit to make it where you don't hear someone doing emotes or work sounds. I agree it's strange at times when you hear someone sawing,carving,and the alike and not see anyone in local or visually.

Edited by EliteSoldier

what i dont understand is why i hear a ghost lumberjack near me when (ok well they are working very far im sure that it should sound like they are right next to you sawing, im no scientist but i know sound get weaker with distance and living in the middle of the woods, the trees would filter it somewhat ) just make it less loud

adding tree diffusion is too complex for a game I think, but they do need to check the distance propagation codes and make sure all the various hardware/software configs are properly balanced. Even then you still want volume controls for each type of effect.

i know its too complex but they can do something about mining and burning of lava creature in mines so i dont hear it in the middle of my village XD