Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

Pris Cmp: Naming Islands & Bays - Part 1 [Closed]

Ah the fun part, naming stuff. As with previous maps there are a few ground rules. Most importantly however, is to remember that the names on the map are simply the names on the map; you may call your island/mountain/bay whatever the hell you like. I do recognise that a map name tends to stick, which is why I have the ground rules.

So;

I will not name everything, only a few key areas/features/islands of my choosing.

All the residents of an island must agree to one name or else it will not be named.

Naming features after deeds is not accepted.

Arguments over names by residents for any feature will likely negate any names suggested.

I will not be changing the names of islands just because new people move in and want it changed.

I will not consider or accept any suggestions that contain 'Oak', 'Birch', 'Pine' or any tree type. Preferably, we will avoid naming things after spiders or other unoriginal claptrap. e.g. 'Troll Island' is pathetic, while 'Goblin's Snatch' is humourous.

Decisions are final. Further complaining won't do you any favours. I'm not nice, so don't make that mistake.

Horseshoe Island in the NE has already been decided on.

I will take suggestions here for the next two weeks, judging winners by popularity here and by asking kchat at various occasions. If you haven't participated you have no right to complain about not having a say.

[EDIT]

Suggestions/Decisons so far;

#1 Moby Island; Dagger Isle Devilfish Island [NAMED]

#2 Kraken's Wake [NAMED]

#3 Silvermoon Isle [NAMED]

#4 [NAMED]

#5 Paramount Lake [NAMED]

#6 [uNNAMED]

#7 Bay of Unrest [NAMED]

#8 Dragon Head Sea [NAMED]

#9 [uNNAMED]

#10 (Does anyone actually live here?) Rolf's Ridge [NAMED]

And now, the locations;

pris1.png

West Island

pris2.png

East Island

pris3.png

The first SE Island

pris4.png

The Second SE Island

pris5.png

The middle lake

pris6.png

The red dragon island/mountain

pris7.png

The West Bay (I forsee trouble for this one)

pris89.png

The Southern bay (8) and Southern Island (9)

pris10.png

The NE Island

Edited by Darkmalice

Might I offer a suggestion for #7?

Salinity bay.

It just feels right, I don't live on it but am directly impacted by whatever drama goes on there.

for 8, I would like Orabel it stand for "Beautiful seacoast"

Changing vote to Dragon's head.

and even though I dont live there,

For 5, Viviana "In Malory's Mort d'Arthur Vivien was the Lady of the Lake"

Edited by camberme

Edit: For #2, with Heidelberg Cove, we are in discussions for a name. Just realized someone else deeded the low part of the island.

Edited by Mebourne

Shouldn't the people living in those areas decide on a name together? This applies for #2 since there are 2 groups, one on either side.

Shouldn't the people living in those areas decide on a name together?

All the residents of an island must agree to one name or else it will not be named.

Skimmed over it, damn me for it. Mebourne can you(or your leader) get in contact with Shezbek to figure out a name? I will let him know to strike up a conversation about this.

Throwing out Sunset Bay for #7, we do have some lovely views there. Can we post again if we think of alternative names? Note I'm not posting on behalf of anyone else in the area, including others on my deed.

More suggestions for #7:

Dead Man's Bay (the original suggestion named for the dozens of bodies that lined the bay for a week)

Bull's Bay (named for the sandy pointe full of cows)

Sound of Secrets (named for the secret island in the middle of the bay)

Forgotten Bay (because a large portion of the bay was blanked out on the first map dump)

Bay of Quarrels (to symbolize the tension that will result from this naming process :) )

Feudal Sound (for the same reason)

Stay-away Bay (because some of us are grumpy old vets)

Steward's Bay (because several of us are intent on making sure the greenery is taken care of)

Gateway Bay (since it is the gateway to the entire western waterway)

Edited by Arson
  • Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by tealc, December 29, 2012 - Duplicate post
Hidden by tealc, December 29, 2012 - Duplicate post

edit: how does spacebar equal 3 posts?

Edited by Arson

I disagree with sunset bay for #7. Sunset bay is so.... typical. We need a name that surpasses all other names. A name for which this bay/sound/inlet can truely stand for. Though sunsets are beautiful, I feel as though it does not speak for the bay fully....

Unfortunately, I still cant come up with something better myself though.

Good idea anyways, Morna!

I do like Feudal Sound for #7. There is so much tension between neighboring deeds all along the shore. Friendly, normal Freedom Isle tension(Parameter arguments, etc), but tension nonetheless.

Bay of Quarrels is a good one as well!

It's sort of my hope that the tension is something we can work on over the coming months, and not really something to celebrate. Friendship Bay? ;)

I'd be more supportive of the bull idea if they weren't all dead now, hahaha.

Feudal sound rings to me like the feudal system, with serfs and stuff.

Will have to think more on it!

Edit: Stallions' Bight (just learned this word!) for the swimming herds of horses?

Edited by Morna

I suggest we call it Seahorse Sound since most of us pulled our horses out of that bay.

~Mik

• Like 2

I suggest we call it Seahorse Sound since most of us pulled our horses out of that bay.

~Mik

I like this one, and I agree. There were tons of horses out there.

Morna, a bight is a very wide bay that's just a barely a bend (doesn't even quite qualify as a bay). I like the word, but it doesn't fit this body of water.

Voting for Seahorse Sound for #7

--Typhoid, Cape Hazard

Edited by Arson

~Mik

Seahorse Sound! (Still discussing #7) Now there's a name I could agree on! Once we had our first ropes, it was to the water to gather those swimming herds!

I think its very unique to call them "seahorses" because... well, they were swimming!

The name fits, its catchy, and it has a +1 from Lei!

~Mik

Agreed Mik =D

Vote #1 Dead Body Bay.

Vote #2 Seahorse Sound.

I thought a sound was ... "A narrow stretch of water forming an inlet or connecting two wider areas of water such as two seas or a sea and a lake."

I like the feel of the name, but if we're going for accuracy, it doesn't quite fit either. How about Seahorse Lagoon or just Sea/Bay of Horses?

I thought a sound was ... "A narrow stretch of water forming an inlet or connecting two wider areas of water such as two seas or a sea and a lake."

I like the feel of the name, but if we're going for accuracy, it doesn't quite fit either. How about Seahorse Lagoon or just Sea/Bay of Horses?

I think it fits just fine.

Sound - "a large sea or ocean inlet larger than a bay, deeper than a bight, wider than a fjord, or it may identify a narrow sea or ocean channel between two bodies of land."

source: [/color]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_of_water

Edited by Arson

I wasn't going for accuracy, but more of a nice "ring". If sound is no good then call it Seahorse Bay, but Seahorse is unique and a play on words...I like it.

~Mik

According to Arson (via wikipedia), the term Sound does fit.

Mik's right too, the play on words is awesome! Seahorse... horses in the sea! Come on, its perfect!

I stand corrected, dictionary.com is apparently missing that bit. ;)

In that case I do like Seahorse Sound. Note I'm not speaking for all of Cove/Cliff/End, so I don't know if they will post their own thoughts later.