Sign in to follow this  
TorakTu

Please Delete My Account. Thank You.

paypal will never ask for your account informations per e-mail ...... you should never click on an e-mail link regarding those "safe sites" when you wanna be safe, always type in the address yourself.

can't say much to the cost things from rolf, but I remember something about him allowing general bank accounts since a while? not sure....

This day and age so many major companies, financial institutes, and government databases have been compromised from theft or hacking that its almost laughable. I would guess that any major company you choose to do business will have already or in the future have their data stolen. Everytime you visit a website or enter data anywhere you leave yourself open to this kind of thing. I assume you use a bank, maybe even direct deposit of your paychecks, have applied for a loan,got a drivers license, bought a house or even visited a doctor, signed up for a game that requires your real info.

Its not a ideal thing for us consumers but with technology advancing so fast and more ways to do electronic business we are part of the learning process that will eventually become secure and when that day comes we will then complain because for that security we will have had to give up a lot of freedom.

The only advise I can give you either go with the flow or step away from the computer right now, dont look back head for that cabin in the woods stocked up with food,medical supplies and firearms.

Yea open a 2nd account, i chose debit, and link that with your paypal account. Then only transfer the necessary funds into that account to use paypal. Stupidly simple stuff.

I hope you realize that the in-game payments for premium are meant to be paid using money earned in-game. If you choose to buy the coins from the Super Rewards and pay for premium using them at the token then that is your own loss. You will end up paying double this way, yes, but Rolf never set up paying for premium using in-game money at 10s per month as a way to stick it to those people who don't want to use Paypal. He most likely made it cost twice as much as just paying for premium through the store to encourage users to pay using real money... Rolf earns nothing when you pay for your premium using in-game money (excluding those of you who buy the coins from Super Rewards to fund premium of course).

I wouldn't say Rolf earns nothing when you pay for premium with in-game money. That money still had to come from somewhere, right? Someone else buys silver with money, they pay you silver for some service or product in-game, and you pay silver to Rolf for your subscription/deed upkeep/etc. Yes he's skewing the cost to encourage you to pay for your subscription with real money, because that's something that can't be hoarded, time always continues to pass, whether you play during the month or not.

open a checking account where you only put limited funds to play, nd use that account on pp. if you get hacked, unlikely,

you only loose that months playing funds. dont use your million dollar or euro account on paypal

Actually no, the safer solution would be to pay with a credit card, not a bank account. At least here in the U.S., if your bank account is used to pay, you could be on the hook for a portion of it. With a credit card, the charge should be reversed without too much hassle. My friend just found out someone used his card number to charge over $4000 over the holiday weekend, and it was all taken care of with a phone call.

Also, I don't understand your insistence on deleting or banning your own account. Just don't log on.

Thats all great but why do you want your account deleted again?

hes afraid a hacker will get ahold of his info!. If only he knew just having his pc connected to the net is enough for a hacker to nail ya!

Ive been using pay pal almost since its creation, and Ive been a small time eBay seller for the past 2 years. never a problem.

lucky? probably.

but pay pal is usually pretty good about handling issues if its clear that there is not a scam of some sort involved. oh, and NEVER enter your password in a link from an email, EVER! from ANYTHING! if you get an email asking you to. close out of it, and go directly to the service website, and log in like you normally do to check that your account is ok and no messages are waiting for you. this is general internet safety 101.

While I've never had a problem with using PayPal, it wouldn't hurt to investigate other payment methods such as Google if possible. Having setup a few small business websites I can say though that one of the reasons PayPal is so popular is that they don't try to extort a huge fee off each transaction like a lot of bank credit processing gateways.

If the Super Rewards system is double the cost then it's because their processing fees, not something Rolf can really change.

I wouldn't put myself in a situation where paypal has control over anything of mine. When paypal processes my transaction with Code Club, that's all they're doing. They're a middle-man with no say in much of anything. If they do something wrong, I don't deal with them one bit. I call my bank, they reverse the charge and thank me very much for my business, and then they deal with Paypal. They do have a wee bit more clout than I do afterall :). They're the customer Paypal ultimately cares about.

Far as the rewards thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a considerable cut of the transaction for themselves. The cost gets passed on to the consumer, but the rewards company is the problem in that scenario.

Why would I use that and be willing to pay for their cut?

I can understand if you're so disgusted with Paypal, you don't want to contribute to their profits at all. I've had pretty strong convictions myself at times, but when those convictions wind up inconveniencing me more than the target, it's time to re-evaluate. If I just can't feel right letting go of this conviction, then the exta cost/inconvenience I endure is simply the sacrifice I'm willing to make on principle.

Good luck to you on whichever route you choose!

Edit: Just saw the above post... Google you say? +1 to Google, they're not evil :).

Edited by Reylaark

Playing around with the Super Rewards screen, there's a 70,000 irons (7s) for $10 US through Google Checkout. $10 US is currently equal to 7.56 Euros, so there's a markup of 0.56 Euro there, but it's hardly the "double" that TorakTu was complaining about.

It costs me double to play this game when I use the rewards and I will not have anything to do with paypal. The token would cost me double, as well as my premium membeship. I didn't realize that Rolf would charge double for everything, if you do not use paypal. That just isn't right.

So please juse delete the account. Thank you.

TorakTu

For anyone worried: PayPal itself was not hacked, the customers were. (Banks are one of the hardest places in the world to hack actually, including PayPal)

There was just some hacker sending mails to people asking for their passwort and some careless people actually responded. Seems TorakTu was one of them.

@TorakTu, when you got that email, PayPal wasn't hacked yet, but then you logged into PajPal.com (or was it PayPol.com ?) and in that moment your PayPal got compromised.

That particular hack could only affect TorakTu though, no one else on PayPal.

Phishing emails... the sad thing is they actually work on some people :P

Ive lost count of the number of phishing attempts I have received over the years claiming "supposed bans" on my Wow account (which doesnt even exist :D ).

• Like 1

This guy could easily use an alternative method rather than his banks debit card, I have been doing so for quite some time. His choice not to do so is his own problem.

When cards do not authorize at the company I work at for bank specific reasons, we inform the customer it is their choice to use their debit card and that they have the ability to pursue alternative methods of payment.

That's it.

Edited by GreenHero

I wouldn't put myself in a situation where paypal has control over anything of mine. When paypal processes my transaction with Code Club, that's all they're doing. They're a middle-man with no say in much of anything. If they do something wrong, I don't deal with them one bit. I call my bank, they reverse the charge and thank me very much for my business, and then they deal with Paypal. They do have a wee bit more clout than I do afterall :). They're the customer Paypal ultimately cares about.

Far as the rewards thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they take a considerable cut of the transaction for themselves. The cost gets passed on to the consumer, but the rewards company is the problem in that scenario.

Why would I use that and be willing to pay for their cut?

I can understand if you're so disgusted with Paypal, you don't want to contribute to their profits at all. I've had pretty strong convictions myself at times, but when those convictions wind up inconveniencing me more than the target, it's time to re-evaluate. If I just can't feel right letting go of this conviction, then the exta cost/inconvenience I endure is simply the sacrifice I'm willing to make on principle.

Good luck to you on whichever route you choose!

Edit: Just saw the above post... Google you say? +1 to Google, they're not evil :).

Google isnt evil? So they arent in the business of making a profit?

http://checkout.google.com/seller/fees.html

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Looks pretty identical on what they charge (for transactions as small as Wurm payment). And this is what Rolf is being charged to process our payments. Paypal users dont pay anything and neither does google users. The charges are on the seller not you and I. Since they charge the same and paypal is evil then i guess that makes google evil also.

Paypal now offers an option to load money, by buying a load card. You can get it from must drug stores and I guess grocery stores, as well. It costs $3.95, but if you load up a few months of game time at a time, it's not that expensive. So, now you don't have to hook up your accounts to paypal.

• Like 1

Man if you're gonna get paranoid every time you read about some big company getting "hacked" you may as well quit the internet and throw your computer in the dumpster. Maybe move to the woods.

Do pre-paid credit cards not work with paypal?

You can't get a pre-paid credit card everywhere. Here in Toronto, Canada, only one single bank carries a pre-paid credit card and you have to set-up a chequing account with them to be able to use it.

I can hardly imagine you would be able to get a pre-paid credit card in other countries. Which is the same issue as having paypal as the sole payment method, because in some countries it's just not possible to pay through paypal.

If there is any security concern about paypal, the simpliest thing to do is not to add credit card to it. Instead transfer some money to paypal account and then buy premium with it. Paypal has no means to withdraw from it's client's bank accounts on it's own.

PS. It's even possible to do this transfer in a bank agency, completely avoiding internet access issues for main bank account.

Edited by Aldur

Google isnt evil? So they arent in the business of making a profit?

http://checkout.goog...eller/fees.html

https://www.paypal.c...p/merchant-fees

Looks pretty identical on what they charge (for transactions as small as Wurm payment). And this is what Rolf is being charged to process our payments. Paypal users dont pay anything and neither does google users. The charges are on the seller not you and I. Since they charge the same and paypal is evil then i guess that makes google evil also.

Google's motto is "don't be evil" which I've always found amusing :). That's really the only reason I said that.

I do prefer google over paypal. I haven't dealt with paypal directly in 10 years (literally, it was somewhere around 2002), and that says a lot about how bad that experience was.

Great info on google fees vs. paypal fees and thanks for doing the research. It does knock out one reason for choosing paypal over google.

Someone else mentioned paypal's api's... I would imagine google can rival them in that department having seen some of google's other offerings.

It's good for Code Club to have alternatives I think, should they ever need them.

By the way, when google says "don't be evil," I'm sure it's nothing against you personally :)

If there is any security concern about paypal, the simpliest thing to do is not to add credit card to it. Instead transfer some money to paypal account and then buy premium with it. Paypal has no means to withdraw from it's client's bank accounts on it's own.

PS. It's even possible to do this transfer in a bank agency, completely avoiding internet access issues for main bank account.

No. Giving your bank account details is even more stupid than giving paypal your credit card details. They DO store your bank account details, and if that is compromised you're in much more trouble than credit card being stolen.

Blocking paypal for safety reasons doesn't make much sense. As it was stated before, any internet system can be hacked. If you wanted to make yourself safe then you would have to forget about any purchases through internet.

Or there is another way. Make new bank account specifically for internet transactions with its own credit/debit card. Keep only small amounts of money on it.

If any online shop, which stores this account's data, gets hacked, then at most you will lose the small amount you kept on this account. That's the only option I see so far.

Going back to Paypal - I would expect that so commonly used payment system would have top-notch security. And it probably does. Yes, they got hacked. And many other, more obscure, systems weren't. Does that mean those systems are better protected? To my it only means that hackers are more willing to put more effort to get into Paypal. But yes, the point is made - it's more probable that Paypal may get hacked. However, requesting more obscure ways of payments, or that devs will write their own payment system, just because of that, is quite irrational.

No. Giving your bank account details is even more stupid than giving paypal your credit card details. They DO store your bank account details, and if that is compromised you're in much more trouble than credit card being stolen.

That's just insane... You are "giving" them no more information, that you give when paying any of your bills or when receiving your salary via bank transfer. And any bank transfer has to be explicitly approved by you, before it can be processed. Paypal can do exactly nothing without your permission in this case.

PS. That being said, anyone trying to be smart should use a proxy account, which holds only small amount of money and use it for any outside transactions. Definitely not the main account with all the savings. :)

Edited by Aldur