Sign in to follow this  
Toriad

Smart Inventory, Inventory Handling

Smart Inventory

I just wanted to provide my experience, and suggest that our inventories get smarter. It's been suggested before in various forms, but I think that the way our inventories act is kind of silly. I figured in this case I will speak with some examples.

When building a fence or wall you select your tool and "continue building" the game detects what's in your inventory and determines if you can continue or not, however other things like building an altar, you must select each individual piece and "continue building". I cannot think of any reason why this makes sense. I believe that the correct behavior is the house building behavior. Using your tool and allowing the game to determine if you have the gear in your inventory.

While I don't agree 100% with the idea of being able to right click on a ore vein and selecting mine, based solely on the fact that there is a pickaxe in my inventory. I do think that the toolbelt could be reworked to make it so all tools in your toolbox are "selected", meaning if I have a pickaxe on my toolbelt regardless of what i have activated, i should be able to select mine from a vein.

Inventory Handling

I can only imagine this has been suggested before, but in the off chance it hasn't. In real life if you are handling a pot on a stove. Do you grab the pot, move it to your chest, and then move it to the fire? If you were organizing the contents of a box, do you pull all of it out, and then put it al back in? In this case there is a lot of moving stuff from "container a" -> Inventory -> "Container a". This seems to be a coding thing more than a realisitc feature. This applies to many things.

Ex. I should be able to move items from the top level of a cart, into a raft in said cart; just like in real life i would simply lift the item from the bed of the cart onto the raft. I wouldn't need to move it to my "inventory" then to the raft.

The entire limitation of moving from container to container seems arbirtary. Surely i'm skilled enough to pick up a crate of goods from a pile(bsb) and drop it into a cart. Obviously the limitation of strength would still be in effect.

Ex. If i can only pick up 5 stone bricks before going overweight, then when I move all my stuff from BSB to cart, I should only be able to move 5 Stone bricks at a time.

These are just some thoughts, I know they probably wont carry much weight in this group but i thought i would give my thoughts anyway.

Edited by Toriad
  • Like 1

+1

anything that makes the game more USER FRIENDLY is good. Good for the community and good for business.

The problem with mine is it has several options, like mine forward, up down, prospect, etc. but you are on the right track in

my opinion. A simple solution is freeze the drop down menu in place until you right click or hit esc.

But wait for it. theyll say, this isnt wow. And we all know the difference between wow and wurm right.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see how this is WoW vs Wurm. I assume people who will post trying to "Defend" the wurm way, blindly will use that argument, but it has nothing to do with wurm vs WoW. In fact everything i suggested is a way of doing things within the wurm world of realism.

As long as in not afect the posibility of use the conyinue keybind more than now i agree.

For now we can only use the keybind wen the material is active instead of the tool, if this mean that the keybind will works with tools +1

why is everyone so concerned about bots? This game isn't nearly popular enough to ever warrant bots. You need a market big enough that justifies it.

A game with this many repetative actions is very bot prone, and popular or not, there is a history of people exploiting around here. Even in a small game, no one wants to be beaten out by some dude botting.

That being said I still like the idea of smartening up the inventory. +1

Well, if the many repetitive actions are what's making it bot prone...make it less repetitive...

Making the game a pain the the wrist for the majority of the player base in an attempt to defeat the botter who is going to defeat your defeats no matter what you do is not good customer service. It is better to detect the botters than try to defeat them, such as chats using human response questions related to the game, like do you have a dog?

The only problem I see is that sometimes you want to use the non intended tool (like skilling body control chopping trees with your sword), or a specific mat for multi step construction (like the last wood is always cedar the rest are pine)

For tools the toolbelt could be used with default actions assigned to them. So we can click DoIt (mouse or keybind) on a tile it selects the best tool in your toolbelt, giving you control over tools in your inventory what to use. Assign primary action and secondary action selected by shift click, like sprout and prune both use the sickle, and if I do not have my axe in my toolbelt (or sickle is higher on the list) then it knows I do not want to chop unless I specifically select that tool manually. If the axe is on the toolbet but not the sickle it already knows you cannot sprout or prune with the axe so you must mean to chop. If both are on the toolbox then manually selecting the tool gives you the context sensitive menus we have now. Not manually selecting the tool means DoIt figures it out for you.

For mat selection this is easy, it manually selects using the ordered list as it does now (or however it picks them). But if you select one then it continues with that instead.

The same applies to the create menu, why do I get different creation choices for using that on this vs. this with that? It is inconsistent as sometimes you can do it either way, but sometimes you cannot.

Edited by yarnevk

As long as in not afect the posibility of use the conyinue keybind more than now i agree.

For now we can only use the keybind wen the material is active instead of the tool, if this mean that the keybind will works with tools +1

This is exactly what I'm thinking, instead of using materials to continue you would always use a tool and continue building would work with the tool, thus making it so you could continue building keybind on boats/house walls.

I just keep thinking botting the easier we make things so -1.

Nothing I listed changes the way the game works in any way that would allow bots to exist where they couldn't before. To be honest the game still has the same difficulty, i'm simply streamlining the process, i'm removing an extra step in the case of moving stuff around. In the case of smart inventories, it wouldn't be that hard to make a bot for the current system, same level of difficulty essentially for the new system.

why is everyone so concerned about bots? This game isn't nearly popular enough to ever warrant bots. You need a market big enough that justifies it.

Bots are bad, and anyone could and probably would make a bot. All a big market accomplishes is a website selling the bots. The programmers of the world will make the bot without posting it online. Having a big market for a game is what exposes the bots to the public, it's not what makes them.

I just keep thinking botting the easier we make things so -1.

Wurm totally needs captchas when selecting menu items so we can be sure it's a human picking them.

But in all seriousness the UI really does need to be streamlined and simplified so we don't all end up with long term physical problems from playing the game. Any simple stuff to remove excess clicks or dig through super nested menus is good until they can give the UI a proper overhaul.

Wurm totally needs captchas when selecting menu items so we can be sure it's a human picking them.

But in all seriousness the UI really does need to be streamlined and simplified so we don't all end up with long term physical problems from playing the game. Any simple stuff to remove excess clicks or dig through super nested menus is good until they can give the UI a proper overhaul.

As funny as this was, I don't think this kind of attacking sarcasm wil help our cause at all. Everything else you said is valid, I just ask that you try to keep this as neutral as possible.

Inventory Handling --> http://wurmonline.us...iles-containers

This is second most requested thing on uservoice.

Smart Inventory --> RuneScape has that feature where as long as you got the tool in inventory all you have to do is click on something. Although, I think people should know what tool to use.

a related idea is a smart tool feature where when you make a tool active and the game automatically make a single key, say left mouse button, the action key. This "standard action" key could be bound to whatever the player desires.

- Make a rake active and left mouse is set to farm.

- make a pick active and left mouse is set to mine_forward. If you want something else you do a normal menu action and left mouse is set to that.

- Make a hatched active and left mouse is set to cut_down. Use the menu to do a chop_up and update left mouse.

Botting...The more complicated a task the more it benefits bots because machines can do that kind of thing flawlessly all day long. And the more it penalizes players who are manually pushing the buttons. And the more it fuels the silly idea of encouraging folks to do exactly what the measure are suppose to discourage or prevent.

Edited by joedobo

Inventory Handling --> http://wurmonline.us...iles-containers

This is second most requested thing on uservoice.

Smart Inventory --> RuneScape has that feature where as long as you got the tool in inventory all you have to do is click on something. Although, I think people should know what tool to use.

a related idea is a smart tool feature where when you make a tool active and the game automatically make a single key, say left mouse button, the action key. This "standard action" key could be bound to whatever the player desires.

- Make a rake active and left mouse is set to farm.

- make a pick active and left mouse is set to mine_forward. If you want something else you do a normal menu action and left mouse is set to that.

- Make a hatched active and left mouse is set to cut_down. Use the menu to do a chop_up and update left mouse.

Botting...The more complicated a task the more it benefits bots because machines can do that kind of thing flawlessly all day long. And the more it penalizes players who are manually pushing the buttons. And the more it fuels the silly idea of encouraging folks to do exactly what the measure are suppose to discourage or prevent.

Do we have any validation of which method is better to get our suggestion across? Either way I don't see the harm in bringing it up on the forums, I do not know if uservoice is a developer supported thing. Thus do not know if it gets the facetime required to push a suggestion through the dev process.

Do we have any validation of which method is better to get our suggestion across? Either way I don't see the harm in bringing it up on the forums, I do not know if uservoice is a developer supported thing. Thus do not know if it gets the facetime required to push a suggestion through the dev process.

I'm sorry if I lead you to believe you shouldn't have posted. Was just saying people want it. Hopefully it will get some attention in the coming year. I think user voice might be more effective then the forum for say the top 20 voted. A problem with the forums is suggestions get buried, a lot of people won't voice their opinions leading to support for or against ideas being based on forum loud mouths.

I vaguely remember a dev saying something to the effect that if a suggestion on user voice gets more then 100 votes is will get serious evaluation attention.

Not a problem, I understand what you are saying now. I have also voted on uservoice. It has almost 200 votes, hopefully that warrants some attention.

I heard Budda is working on "something", the details are a bit hazy though, can't remember if I heard about his plans, or only old suggestion, or if he picked up one of the suggestions. but expect something in the next quarter.

Also afaik, most of the devs agree by now that they won't try to prevent bots and macros, if it will impact the real players negatively as well.