Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Suggestion: Change To Road Work

I would like it if pottery brick roads were easier than cobblestone.

As long as the skill gain you get for putting down each brick is the same. IE 15 ticks of paving for the tile I'm fine with it. And yes I do agree paving with just one brick has always bothered me.

Now that paving skill is a required skill it does need more loving.

Making roads can already be an insane project. Clear cutting trees, digging the road down, packing the dirt, making all the bricks you need, and finally paving. Now we'd have to not only pave the road twice, we'd need like 3+ times the amount of materials to do so?

This is one of those things that is "realism" versus quality of life, it doesn't have to make sense, there's no reason to ruin more gameplay. -1

• Like 5

As long as we have the issue open ... Can we also have a review of 20 planks per wood floorboard (used a s a paved tole), maybe make it 10 + 2 small nails, like the roofs and floors are?

I'd love to see wooden plankways be a more practical paving feature.

Can't be packed/graveled though as its the only way to build on marsh.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

um, roads aren't as good as you think Zcul.

I don't like roads. They aren't needed anymore with horses and road builders have been given a free pass to occupy/claim as much land as they have time to build more roads.

I'd support that crossed out 15 bricks per a tile thing, heck make it even more so only server wide community efforts could finish a road.

Some issues that once solved could make roads better:

- Roads don't make horses or hitched carts go faster.

- Roads tend to attracted excessive aggo. Great for hunters, bad for general travelers. Roads should be for travelers, not convenient aggro magnets for hunters.

- The somewhat recent change to directional turning made it very difficult to go parallel with a road. I think the dev actually intentionally made it hard because some don' t like afk traveling. Give us a way to snap vehicle orientation to perfectly n/s/e/w.

-1 for that:

15 4 bricks on Gravel tile -> Cobble stone road

1 brick on packed dirt -> REMOVE THIS OPTION

1 stone slab on Gravel tile -> Slab stone road

+1 for that:

1 slate slab on Gravel tile -> Slate stone road (new!)

4 pottery brick on Gravel tile -> Pottery brick road (new!)

This is a solution to a problem that does not exsist, making a road can already be a long and time consuming task. Please leave this alone as wurm already has enough busy work as it is, or at least give us the option to make bricks enmass instead of the rightclick fest it is now.

• Like 5

This is a solution to a problem that does not exsist, making a road can already be a long and time consuming task. Please leave this alone as wurm already has enough busy work as it is, or at least give us the option to make bricks enmass instead of the rightclick fest it is now.

Have to agree with this 100%, what benefit does it give the player exactly to make this take longer?

Without any sort of bulk item creation on stuff like bricks, I see no reason to go tinkering with one of the few systems in Wurm that just plain works. If you are going to make a change like this, I'd like to know what benefits I'd see? Faster horse travel on roads? Less Stamina drain when hauling carts? What am I getting for this sudden and unneeded increase in time spent to simply pave a path or cover the dirt in my village?

Introducing 4-5 cobblestones as a craftable item from one rock shard for cobblestone roads, then making a cobble road tile need 10 cobblestones and keeping stone bricks for walls seems like a good idea at this point.

Introducing 4-5 cobblestones as a craftable item from one rock shard for cobblestone roads, then making a cobble road tile need 10 cobblestones and keeping stone bricks for walls seems like a good idea at this point.

Lets be honest, how? We're adding new materials to create more work for a fix we don't need.

Just like the oil barrels for for deed lights, coding for "fixes" we didn't need.

• Like 2

Already banging my head on the wall making bricks for my house...don't want to do the same for roads :( please no

-1 to changing the old amount

+1 To laying gravel frist

+1 To the new type of materials

As already stated bricks are a wrist aching click fest menu menu menu pain. make them easier to make in mass if you are going to require more.

On top of that you can fit a limited amount in a cart before it is too heavy to pull. Make them lighter or allow more in a cart.

A new player w/a small cart wouldn't get far with enough bricks and shards to pave with this.

Lastly moving 6-10 at a time from a BSB into inventory and then a cart (depending how much you're carying) is now going to take even longer.

Make it possible to move capped quantities i.e 20 directly from a BSB into a cart.

So if you move forward with increasing the required amount:

- Make them easier to make maybe like olives more than one per creation action.

- Make them lighter so as to carry more in inventory and or a cart.

Side Bar

- Allow moving from BSB to carts etc.

- With respec, fix broken stuff before changing things that aren't broken.. because they aren't real enough or hard enough.

Edited by Huserx
  • Like 2

wth is this make wurm even more menial first we have to now also build roofs and now we have to sped 3 times aslong to make roads.... whats next the make digging like surface mining

• Like 1

wth is this make wurm even more menial first we have to now also build roofs and now we have to sped 3 times aslong to make roads.... whats next the make digging like surface mining

Don't give them ideas :P

I don't mind making bricks actually, only took a few days to churn out 5k or so.

Average red clay or cobblestone brick is 2-3kg. This is 5-7.5 bricks per 15kg construction from a 20kg stone, so the art and menu is not really realistic calling it A brick.

Furthermore if you want to revisit the qty, then you need to go even further back and look at obtaining the rock shards in the first place. Do you really think the volume and weight of rock in a 2mx2mx2m (or whatever a tile is) is only 50 rocks? Because in that cube of rock they would stack less than 4 on a side and tall. They simply are not that big. But look at the art work it is not one shard that you mine but four shards.

And if we want to be realistic, if you are paving bricks you would not put them on gravel as they would rock and tilt. You instead would put them on sand so that they can seat evenly. While the best roads such as a roman city may also have an underlay gravel bed for drainage and weed control that the sand goes over, the inexpensive cobbles in a medieval village were likely laid right on the packed dirt road that existed already.

So if redoing it for realism then successive layers should provide incremental decay/speed improvements, and each layer can be a road. This way roads can be upgraded over time and you can take shortcuts and leave layers out.

layer 1) packed dirt

layer 2) gravel optional

layer 3) sand optional

layer 4) bricks (or slabs)

But absolutely NO increase in quantities if you do not fix the wrist breaking carpal tunnel repetitive motion causing menu creation system. Hot key last created item or forget about realism. When a spider kills us we do not die in real life. I do not need to have my wrist in a splint from chiseling rocks in a game.

While on the topic of construction qty, a large nail is not a large nail, it is a handful of nails. Evidenced by saying you nail in a plank when putting up a wall which uses '1' (handful) of nail, and the artwork which does not show a single nail.

Edited by yarnevk
  • Like 3

Okay i like this idea of being able to upgrade existing roads.. Allthough it would be 3 steps imo

Step 1) Paved dirt (lowest tier road)

Step 2) Gravel (second tier road)

Step 3) Sand -> Bricks (third tier road)

Possibly

step 4) Concrete (best tier road)

Edited by Guruen

Meh I dont really care if the paving material requirements are upped, always used low ql anyways. Even 20 bricks is pretty freckin low when one calcs just how many bricks a single tile should actually need.

On the plus side, it will help prevent all the wandering around abandoned roads, in conjunction with Rolf's road decay tweak sometime ago.

While ur taking a look at paving, Zcul, give Tich's thread for fixing up the diagonals a browse:

http://forum.wurmonl...diagonal-roads/

EDIT: On a related note, tall stone walls dont require mortar... just putting that out there. :P

Edited by Klaa

I agree something needs doing, as currently its too easy to make roads. The last one i made was 300 tiles long, 3 wide and took only 3 hours to do, mind you we had the bricks before and there was 3 of us, 2 clearing and me paving. But my point is its just too fast (unless you hit a natural obstical like the mountain on the south road from FM or just a steep slope).

Sounds like an idea to me

Btw Clay shingle roofs don´t use mortar, but copper nails, if you want to ¨fix¨ things so badly...