Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Suggestion: Change To Road Work

While reviewing code for Paving i came across the fact it takes just 1 brick to pave an entire tile directly on dirt.

I think it is too easy to make this high end road that give max travel bonus.

A recipe adjustment could look like this:

Speed +:

• Gravel
    Made from crushed (?) stone shard + packed dirt

Speed ++

• Sanded Gravel
    Made from some sand on Gravel

Speed +++ (Any of the following)

• 1 stone slab + 4 sand on Gravel tile -> Slab stone road
  • 1 slate slab + 4 sand on Gravel tile -> Slate stone road (new!)
  • 1 marble slab + 4 sand on Gravel tile -> Marble road (new!)
  • 4 cobblestone + 4 sand on Gravel tile -> Cobble stone road (new item "cobblestone")
  • 4 pottery cobblestone + 4 sand on Gravel tile -> Pottery brick road (new roadtype, new item "pottery cobblestone")

Removed: 1 stone brick on packed dirt

Important: Don't forget difficulty considerations when destroying pavements. Increase difficulty with pavement complexity.

Important: Building is not about big recipies its about progressively improving the road as described in the post here by yarnevk.

Important: Make sure the design choice is separated from the speed maximum for total flexibility.

Question: What to do with all existing cobblestone roads made from 1 stone brick + packed dirt?

Idea: Make some way of material reuse (potential problem with griefing/stealing then. require high paving skill?)

Idea: Make slope restrictions abit less harsh.

Idea: Remove water restriction for water passage ways (not sure about this one, bridges will solve this later on)

Idea: Make carts and horses affected by pavement (less stamina drain?)

Edit: Restructured with thoughts of speed and removed mortar as a requirement (everyone hates mortar) and use sand instead. Also added concept of separating design from speed.

/Andreas

@zcul

Edited by Zcul
  • Like 17

Oh man, time to get all my paving done fast! I think this is a great idea though as it will actually help with leveling paving.

Making bricks isn't fun. It hurts my wrist. I wouldn't necessarily mind dirt > packed dirt > gravel > cobblestone, but a higher material requirement is a bad idea.

I'd have to disagree on this this one, I don't want to use almost as many bricks paving a tile as I would building a tall stone wall.

that seems insane,i think nobody would ever make any cobblestone roads if u do that.

edit: my suggestion is to just remove gravel which is useless,nothing else needs to change in my opinion

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

So you definitely want to have not more than 2-3 people per server able to use new floors.

Well i will forget about anything but wooden floors for my houses.

-1, even if i know this will be implemented no matter what the players want.

• Like 1

I like this idea, but 15 is over the top imo.

5 or so seems more reasonable.

15 will make peoples lives difficult, especially on newer servers where there is no existing roadways. Unless you want gravel to become the new basic road.

edit: my suggestion is to just remove gravel which is useless,nothing else needs to change in my opinion

I use gravel paths a LOT so please don't remove gravel paving entirely as an option, if that was what you meant.

Maybe 5 bricks instead of 15 is a compromise? Or even just require it to always be graveled first (not just packed dirt) before laying a "small" number of bricks. I agree 15 seems too much.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I don't think the number of bricks it takes to make a cobblestone tile should change at all, simply because the only benefits you really get from it are moving faster and it looking better than dirt.

3 or 5 bricks per tile maybe, but we then NEED an option to spam bricks easier without click-click-click-click all the damn time.

• Like 2

Your changes would be insane Andreas.

The game should become easier especially for the new players and roads are a really important part of the game for players. Roads will become almost impossible to build if you do this step.

Another idea I had, was instead of using bricks for cobblestone tiles, make cobblestones out of rock shards, and they would be easier than bricks to make and 3-5 of them could be used to pave a tile.

I could handle 3-5 bricks, but 15 is excessive, especially when we use those roads to travel from one end of a server to another. They would just take far too long to build. If roads use multiple bricks, I'd say they can be removed by hand but NOT decay randomly like they do at the moment when they're off deed.

15 bricks for cobblestone road is way too much. i like the other ideas very much though. leave the cobbleroad to 1 brick, maybe add slate brick, pottery brick and marble brick roads out of 3-5 bricks plus gravel grounding and make them look really cool. so you get something not everybody else has. but this game needs "cheep" cobble roads pls.

oh and +1 to the changes on slate roofs and ground floor planning

Edited by hoof2000

While reviewing code for Paving i came across the fact it takes just 1 brick to pave an entire tile directly on dirt.

I think it is too easy to make this high end road. An adjusted recipy could look like this:

15 bricks on Gravel tile -> Cobble stone road

1 brick on packed dirt -> REMOVE THIS OPTION

1 stone slab on Gravel tile -> Slab stone road

1 slate slab on Gravel tile -> Slate stone road (new!)

/Andreas

Do you play the game?

Concentrate on fixing the insane requirements for some of the new roof and floor types, before you want to mess up paving.

Also why 15 bricks (=13 rockshards or so) for something that is not even smooth vs keeping slab (4 rockshards) the same?

At least change it to 4-10 slabs to keep it consistent.

• Like 2

Just to put some numbers.

I have 12 paving rigth now, so i´m unable to do any floor besides the wood one.

The entry level floor besides wooden is Pottery bricks floor.

So until i get at least 20 or 21 (not sure) i need to mine 16 rock shards, make 15 bricks, then find a tile, pack it, pave it with gravel, then pave it using 15 bricks, rinse and repeat until i hit the level at a rate of 48 actions per tile.

Good news, i managed to get 21 paving without shoot my self or jump of the tallest building i can find.

Now lets do a pottery clay floor, thats easy, i only need like 50 pottery skill to minimize fails, then i go, dig about 83 clay, enough to make 11 bricks, then cook the bricks, and back to clay pit and dig about 6 more clay, then go to a sand pit and dig a sand, and use it to make 11 mortar, then go to my house and laid a pottery brick floor tile, at the measly amount of 133 actions per tile.

feel free to correct me if i´m wrong

Pack>Gravel>cobble works for me...but 15 bricks is too many. 2 or 3 seems reasonable.

Concentrate on fixing the insane requirements for some of the new roof and floor types, before you want to mess up paving.

Also why 15 bricks (=13 rockshards or so) for something that is not even smooth vs keeping slab (4 rockshards) the same?

At least change it to 4-10 slabs to keep it consistent.

Good point. Seems the idea needs a little re-thinking

15 is way to high,but yes 1 seems a bit ridiculous do 3-5 bricks per tile and it would be more "realistic" without making people want to /wrists when they are building a road

I like the idea of needing gravel before paving. But 15 bricks does seem a bit excessive imo. 3-5 would seem a bit more fitting.

Also i'd love to see some form of dirt road instead of packed dirt. Cart track or something similar (not sure how to implement it) Would give 50% the speed bonus as paved roads. A cheap alternative to paved roads.

+1 to gravel before paving, -1 to it taking that many.

A slab takes 88kg of rock, that's enough for about 5 bricks. So, if it was increased it should take up 5 bricks, not 15 (because that just gets too hard IMO, a full 3 times as resource heavy :L)

Having built a road, I must say that the paving part was by far the easiest, packing a tile and putting down one made brick was easy. I built about 200 tiles of 2 tile road on my own, terraforming included, took about 2 months to complete and 95% of that involved my shovel (ie terraforming) despite the fact that the end product involved bricks.

Slab roads would be ugly everywhere and not to mention unrealistic and non-time period, so cobble should stay the easiest to build en-masse. Maybe only slabs should require gravel foundations? In RL slabs need more foundation than bricks because they are large, flat and inconvenient - hence having to have to be laid on a flat surface - whereas foundation matters less with cobble/brick roads, they're only small things.

To sum up what I'd implement:

Packed dirt > 5 bricks > cobble tile

Gravel > stone/slate slab > slab tile

Gravel and packed dirt roads would both remain primitive, with both having a way to be upgraded. :)

Since the problem here is that cobblestone is so easy to make and produces the fastest road, then the simple solution would be to lower the speed bonus on cobble. Considering cobblestone is rather uneven, I can't see how you can go just as fast on it as you can stone slabs/wooden floorboards.

so most of you support the change so long as its 3-5 bricks for cobble (on top of gravel).. thats good ;)

Dont use bricks, insted make it so you get 3 - 4 cobble stones per rock shard.

Then i can see 10 - 15 cobble stones to pave a road.

For each stone i lay i get a chance at paving gain also.

But to keep using brick or have to , i think 15 is overkill..

And yes i like gravel to give a sort of deco look to parts of a deed.

They make nice garden paths, its to bad there wasent diferent colored gravel you could use.

I would be fine with 3-5/ tile. But even then, it's probably just easier to make slabs.