Sign in to follow this  
WolfeNailo

Boost Surface Mining On Deeded Property.

I believe that in many cases, looking at some situations on Pristine for instance, that the amount of random chance and fail to success on Surface Mining needs to be looked at or overhauled. I can understand preventing it from being every action automatically succeeds, or perhaps elongating the timer, but the current, maybe/maybe-not scenario is just too frustrating.

In my Pristine Deed we're attempting to terrace the city out, layer by layer, and because of our mountainside placement, we're taking on more flak from the rock layer than is welcome, but we're hardy folk and unwilling to move. I just hoped to bring this to light and see what other players had to say on the matter.

• Like 1

Had to surface mine the top of a mountain down for a deed i wanted, i know the feeling haha, would love this to happen

It should be more difficult terraforming a mountain down than when you just move dirt. It is fast enough as it is.

Surface mining timers are already lower than standard mining timers.

You chose to terraform a mountain top, why would you want to diminish your own accomplishment?

+1 even if they make it faster it will still be allot of work so yes good idea

I've downed a few rock hills. Took quite awhile. Wasn't too fun but you can look at where the hill was after you are done. Not really + or - 1 for me.

it would be nice if they would have an actual maximum of fails....like after the 10th time you will lower it for sure! atm, it's around 1-20 mining actions if I'm not mistaken

Surface mining for me is rather quick about 80% success rate, I'm guessing the better the mining skill the better ye chances.

I asked for flatmining a while ago with just this in mind actually not really an issue for me, but might be for others.

By the way some where arguing I think they misunderstood what I was suggesting. I wasn't talking about raising the rock but lowering it.

Essentially the server determines the lowest corner as base and mines any corner not at base level once for each hieght point above base, thereby giving an overall timer, if at the end of timer tile isn't flat. A message is returned saying 'more mining is requirered to achieve a flat surface', of course if stamina runs out during the timer a standard 'you need to rest before you continue' message is flagged.

I'm not trying to hijack ye post by the way; just thought it relevant, so I bought it up again.

Feel free to hire my mining services if ye on epic, pm me for more details.

• Like 1

Get better Mining skill if you want to speed up surface mining. Or buy a sculpting wand. Or hire someone.

more chance with hihjer mining skill +1

or second option: lower rock by 1 for 5 mining actions (for example)

It takes an average of 5 actions or so, sometimes it's 10, sometimes you get 3 in a row. It's not all that bad, essentially 5x the actions of digging.

I'd be against any faster and I've surface mined big areas. With high mining, high QL WoA pick and a beer or 6 it goes pretty fast.

Average chance has been about 20% over a a few thousand actions. Seems fine to me as rock mining is supposed to be harder than simple digging.

Instead of making anything special for deeds could we just have either a consistent number of mines required to lower rock like every 5 mines or better yet just make the timer 5 times as long and have it always drop the level. The randomness makes it quite hard to queue up actions and not make mistakes and go too far due to a random lucky streak.

Instead of making anything special for deeds could we just have either a consistent number of mines required to lower rock like every 5 mines or better yet just make the timer 5 times as long and have it always drop the level. The randomness makes it quite hard to queue up actions and not make mistakes and go too far due to a random lucky streak.

This is what I mean, the random chance is among the most irritating parts.

-1, surface mining is suppose to be difficult and takes alot of time. No need to make it easy mode.

Hell yeah, speed it up on deed. but maintain the same rate off deed so we don't get to many deep valleys.

This is what I mean, the random chance is among the most irritating parts.

Everything in Wurm is random, do you want to change that as well?

It has been lowered semi-recently and it is a bit easier. I recently did about 1000-2000 dirts of surface mining, it wasn't actually too bad. Best part was finishing it though, because I knew how much I'd achieved and I knew how impressive it now looked :D

Everything in Wurm is random, do you want to change that as well?

Once you get to 99-100% to do something you rarely if ever fail and can plan and queue up your actions. And for similar things like digging you always remove dirt when you dig it and given the right conditions always raise it when dropping it. You always successfully mine a portion when doing it in caves and though the amount of mines is somewhat random there you're given a clean warning when it's about to break and it's an exact amount from there. For surface mining it's very random and regardless of skill you can never change that. Sometimes you need to do it 10-20 times in a row to get it to go down a tile sometime it works 3-4 times in a row. So if you queue up a ton of actions when you're close you very well could go past the point you're trying to get to which thankfully can be fixed now but it's a lot of work. Do you seriously find this randomness fun and adding anything interesting to the game? If there were a single long timer for the action that always worked it would still be a lot of work to surface mine it just wouldn't be a hair pulling experience.

Do you seriously find this randomness fun and adding anything interesting to the game? If there were a single long timer for the action that always worked it would still be a lot of work to surface mine it just wouldn't be a hair pulling experience.

That means I can queue 6 mining actions, come back 5 minutes later and I've got a guaranteed drop of 6 dirts. That does not sound like hard work to mine rock down.

Over the last two years I did just over 10k surface mining actions with a success ratio of 21%. So it's one drop in about 5 tries. And yes, it's fun if you actually succeed 3 times in a row and it's a great feeling when you've finished the project.

Edited by ago

That means I can queue 6 mining actions, come back 5 minutes later and I've got a guaranteed drop of 6 dirts. That does not sound like hard work to mine rock down.

And doing actions one at a time to make sure you don't go too far is hard? That's just tedious and makes all that mind logic for queue slots useless for fine adjustments. Can you imagine the complaining if it were the case for dirt? Though I imagine if it had always been like that for dirt you'd still get the same people defending it as a good idea to have it completely random :P.

Over the last two years I did just over 10k surface mining actions with a success ratio of 21%. So it's one drop in about 5 tries. And yes, it's fun if you actually succeed 3 times in a row and it's a great feeling when you've finished the project.

So why not drop the success rate to 5%? 4 times the fun, excitement and feeling of accomplishment when done especially paying super attention on that last action so you don't miss it and get lucky twice in a row going too far! I get the feeling, like with a lot of shoddy pointless mechanics, the people who already went through the frustration under the current scheme simply don't want to see it "easier" for those that haven't.

The randomness isn't even consistent with the rest of the game mechanics where with enough skill and the proper tools you can get nearly perfect odds for actions. So how about it gets changed to fit with the rest of the mechanics. Triple or quadruple the action time since it should take much longer than dirt. Have a base chance of 10-20% to lower the tile but the success rate improves with mining skill and tool quality. Would be impractical for more than cleaning up a mine entrance with low skill but with more skill it becomes less aggravating and more consistent to do like with most things in the game.

Edited by Theodis

You always successfully mine a portion when doing it in caves and though the amount of mines is somewhat random there you're given a clean warning when it's about to break and it's an exact amount from there. For surface mining it's very random and regardless of skill you can never change that.

The warning comes at exactly 45 actions, the amount of actions needed after that is random.

I am not talking about those kinds of random though, I am talking about do you want exactly 1 gem per 1000 mining actions? Do you want exactly 1 gem per 1000 praying actions? and a counter that counts down till the next gem?

Do you want a rare exactly every 1000 imping or creating actions?

Personally I find it more fun when there are some randomness to it, like surface mining. You are not supposed to queue up 5 actions if you are close to your goal, you are supposed to pay attention.

Besides, I am pretty sure the average amounts of actions needed to lower rock by 1 slope goes down as your mining or pickaxe skill goes up, but I am not 100% sure. I prefer mysteries like this instead of a manual describing each and every mechanic in Wurm down to the last .

The randomness isn't even consistent with the rest of the game mechanics where with enough skill and the proper tools you can get nearly perfect odds for actions.

So you can predict every time you will fail or succeed an imping action if you have 90+ skill and using 99 QL tools? You should play the lottery more.

Edited by Wulfgar