Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Multistory And Floor Feedback Thread

Hi.

The idea with multistory is to enable players to be creative in building their home in wurm. Variety, options are central and will be worked towards during upcoming releases. We really want to enable you to build your own magnificent castles.

How does multistory work right now (or at least how it is supposed to work).

- Planning new floors requires carpeting.

- The higher you want to build the higher your carpentry needs to be.

- Selecting the floor material type requires specific skills and tools depending on the material, see list below:

- Some challenges remain, like having a solid leveling path for Paving, it will be fixed somewhat with changing packing to give paving skill instead of digging.

Floors

Wood plank (Carpentry) -- this is the entry level material

Pottery brick (Paving)

Slate floor (Paving)

Stone brick (Paving)

Slate slab (Paving)

Marble slab (Paving)

Roofs

Wood shingle (Carpentry) -- this is the entry level material

Pottery shingle (Masonry)

Slate shingle Stone brick (Masonry)

Thatch (Thatching)

Known issues:

- Walls on second floor and higher seem to be badly aligned causing visual crack in some corners.

- If you just make a planned parapet and then continue to build above it, it becomes impossible to go back and finish the parapet fence.

- Issue with too low quality yield of floor compared to raw material QL and skill level.

- Possible to fall into walls on the ground floor and get stuck in them.

- Traders, Merchants fall to floor level #1 when dropped on upper floors

- Piles are counted for the whole tile and all floors above it, should be maxpile per floor

- Walls at floor 2 and up can be planned without material consumption. Will fix so it requires 1 plank + nail.

- Wheels are inside the floor on ground floor.

- Creating a floor above you makes you float in midair on ground floor if you have no floor on it.

- Bulkbins floors etc are not abel to coexist on same tile, different floors

Fixed issues:

- Skillgain for paving considerations: Skillgain for paving now given when packaging dirt.

- Planning a roof on the first floor requires a floor on the first floor. This restriction will be removed, so that making a roof on your first 1x1 house will not require the floor. Should be fixed with the 2012-12-25 reboots.

- Built to 4th story, destroyed 1st story floor plans and can't plan them anymore. Should be fixed with the 2012-12-25 reboots.

- Improve does not work (hangs?) Fixed in patch 2013-01-03

- Repair does not work (hangs?) Fixed in patch 2013-01-03

- Donut homes now fixed

Edited by Zcul

stone brick roof? you mean slate shingle i assume?! and this uses paving atm...

yea its slate slab roof :-P. but no real way to lvl paving other then that u all have been doing alright fixing stuff. i know its tough as hell to get marble and slate atm :-(

Edited by fatboy

http://forum.wurmonl...t-shaped-house/

Circle-shaped houses for various castle-like designs.

http://forum.wurmonl...oors-on-houses/

Also important for castle-like designs. Not all structures should be entered, some are decorational or for blocking passage.

I also have a desire for:

- Simple stone house walls without the wood strip. Currently you can't really build a long tall wall because the wood seperates each layer. Optionally the same with wooden walls, a very simple wooden house wall.

- Open wall, a very minimal arched wall basically without any supports on the sides. No arches but just a roof piece basically so it classifies as a wall and finishes the building.. It should be an exact copy code-wise but graphically it's just mean to take up a minimal amount of space and look good. This would allow us to make bridges from one side of a building to the other without anything (be it wooden supports from unfinished houses or arched walls) getting in the way down there.

- Keep marble and slate rare, and don't get rid of the paving requirements (an otherwise kind of useless skill, +1 for making it useful!). Currently it's perfect.

• Like 1

it would be awesome if we would get more castle like structures too like high and long windows, iron fenced windows and metal doors ;)

It's weird that you need to make a buckload of thatch first, before you can roof your 1x1 with it. I would think that it is a rather basic roofing type. (before the change everyone had thatch, now only premium players can get it.)

Stone houses use a lot of visual wood, but none in creation that should be changed.

Especially Floors use large wood beams. This is what makes the paving requirements weird. If you just lay the stone on the wood beam it would be paving. But there is no actual wood beam, only a planing placeholder. So there is nothing holding the pavement up, so you would actually be constructing a floor, which would be masonry.

So either require some wood beams to finish the planning or change it visually to a stone structure, or something.

What is a house or castle without a fire place? If it could burn logs to be used a a light source that would be great. I know you guys are busy but I tossed it out there because its at the top of my "I want" list. :)

http://forum.wurmonl...t-shaped-house/

Circle-shaped houses for various castle-like designs.

http://forum.wurmonl...oors-on-houses/

Also important for castle-like designs. Not all structures should be entered, some are decorational or for blocking passage.

I also have a desire for:

- Simple stone house walls without the wood strip. Currently you can't really build a long tall wall because the wood seperates each layer. Optionally the same with wooden walls, a very simple wooden house wall.

- Open wall, a very minimal arched wall basically without any supports on the sides. No arches but just a roof piece basically so it classifies as a wall and finishes the building.. It should be an exact copy code-wise but graphically it's just mean to take up a minimal amount of space and look good. This would allow us to make bridges from one side of a building to the other without anything (be it wooden supports from unfinished houses or arched walls) getting in the way down there.

- Keep marble and slate rare, and don't get rid of the paving requirements (an otherwise kind of useless skill, +1 for making it useful!). Currently it's perfect.

I was with you all the way until that fateful last comment. I think marble and slate are *too* rare, i mean 2 more materials that most of us have no access to? Instead of making in even more in demand skill, why not give masons (with some added stuff to make with the mats) and pavers a chance? Also he didn't say he was getting rid of the requirement at all, which I agree with, just making packing dirt give paving skill... Having to mine out all those rock shards to level your Paving will probably still be faster than just packing and cultivating, but as he said in his post, they are going for more options so its just another way of leveling, and making it a nice way to slowly level up over time.

One vein can supply many people, that was my reason for keeping it like that. And yeah I agree with the packing change.

If paving skill can be had by packing that would be great. I really didn't want to pave the entire tundra on Cele.

Why the skill requirement for making floors with pottery brick was raised is beyond me. One day I can do it with my 22.8 paving skill, next day I can't. If it's second after entry level it shouldn't be much higher than 20. Can't even pave pottery brick with 23 paving.

Arched walls need less materials. Not sure why it has same material needs as a full wall.

Thatch roof should be entry level, not wood. Thatch is what the peasants use because the lord of the land won't let them cut his wood. Sod roof would be great too. With grass on it.

Stone floor should come after pottery and then slate. Stone is much more common.

Edited by Macgregor

Thatch roof should be entry level, not wood. Thatch is what the peasants use because the lord of the land won't let them cut his wood. Sod roof would be great too. With grass on it.

I agree there, but also needs to be changed is to use string instead of wire for thatched roofs. Thatched roofs don't use wire.

Yeah, it strikes me odd that Thatching is one of the hardest to make when it was one of the more common roof types due to the cost of wood.

Anyway...*cough* now that Flooring is part of planning the structure, this would be a great time to make those Wood Plank floors have a different color based on the wood type used

I'd like to see windows that join with adjacent windows...

e.g. having a large open room (no floors above, only roof at the top):

[ROOF][ROOF][ROOF]

[WALL][WINDOW][WALL]

[WALL][WINDOW][WALL]

[WALL][WALL][WALL]

[FLOOR][FLOOR][FLOOR]

would combine the two windows so they visually looked like one tall window.

Obviously only combining them when there are no floors or whatever to seperate them.

Edit: Building window as 'large window' or something, so you can decide whether you want merging windows or not.

• Like 3

Well done on at long last making multi-story houses.

After all the bugs got sorted out they work well.

Here is a few ideas I would like to see implemented,

Flat (slanted) roofs. Not all of us want v nock roofs. -> Currently I am cheating by making a solid floor above

Writs that allow us to unlock certain doors for certain players (Lock name = door name) , IOW 1 house with "separate" areas all controlled by 1 writ. I want 1 house , floors and each person only has access to his floor controlled via locked doors. -> Thus can be done in a sense with inner walls blocking inside and a 1x1 outhouse to control who can get to the doors of the main house.

+1 to bring back do'nut houses.

and the abbilty to ride a horse cart to upper floors - a "lift" that you park on and then use to get up?

-> 2 small wheels , a thick rope and a floorboard should be enough to make something close to a pulley lift.

I'd like to see windows that join with adjacent windows...

e.g. having a large open room (no floors above, only roof at the top):

[ROOF][ROOF][ROOF]

[WALL][WINDOW][WALL]

[WALL][WINDOW][WALL]

[WALL][WALL][WALL]

[FLOOR][FLOOR][FLOOR]

would combine the two windows so they visually looked like one tall window.

Obviously only combining them when there are no floors or whatever to seperate them.

Edit: Building window as 'large window' or something, so you can decide whether you want merging windows or not.

I agree with this. Either have an upper large window part and a lower large window part with some sort of disclaimer if possible, or make it look extra professional and give the option for merging upon building the second window. Personally I'm fine with the first one because it works with the same result

Edited by Wiro

When making multistory stone houses I'd like to see the wooden band removed. The only thing that stops me from making a multistory house completely out of stone is that. The band after every story looks tacky and I really don't like it. It should only be at the top of a multistory house and on houses that are one story tall.

And also a bridge type wall (that's not a house wall, more like a tall stone wall or something) to connect houses together so you can walk between them without having to exit a house at ground level to enter the next at ground level.

Yes I agree on multi story windows. Making a list by numbers

1. Diffrent door types least 3

2.diffrent furniture Bookcase specially

3.Cauldren needs to be own it's own also will act like furniture in decoration

4.New doors along side of castle gate bars

5. guillotine only use decoration stand alone or part of a construction build that connects to a wall for villagers to see.

6.Slab slate paving and marlble paving like brick and slab stone road tiles.

7.new Pillars for 2nd story and up so upper floors have a brace from lower floor with out looking like it would really fall with no brace.

could even go as far as adding a auto brace that goes from outer edge triangle to the wall under it so the lower wall shows it supporting the extending uper floor.

8.Arched doors

thats about i9t for right now

oh the roof tiles are min 4 heigth in code need make sure there nor more than 1 tile.

Almost forgot the most important one of all. Ability to connect 2 exsisting buildings by wall. not that they combine into one writ but ability as long as the wall is missing you are able to plan between the 2 structures connecting them in theory. should also remove the floor counting as a wall tile in the construction when planing a building this is a bad limiter on the type of constructions and castle build that could go on in wurm cause even at maxed skill them floor tiles to be honest put a hurt on one when trying to plan a castle trust me i know from the wall construction and the towering stronghold i build they where not easy and could of been planned better if had some more tiles. besides taking the floor count out it will take 3 floor tiles to add a new section on so it wouldn't really hurt anyone. Alternative would be raise the bar on carpentry skill tree to go higher than 99

Edited by Arkonick

I think my only real complaint so far is that pottery Bricks are rediculously hard to pave with - We need 15kg clay per brick, and 10 bricks per tile = 150kg clay per tile just to make the bricks. This means that the 3x3 space that I wanted to use pottery bricks in will require 1300kg of clay to make... that's over half a Colosus worth of clay! which seems just a little crazy. On top of that it seems that my 21.xx paving skill won't be enough to even use pottery.

I can deal with having to skill up to use a new material type, but I suggest reducing the amount of clay needed per brick. Even at 5kg clay per brick, it would still require 450 clay for a 3x3 area, and still be way more work than just using stone...

• Like 1

Known issues:

- Planning a roof on the first floor requires a floor on the first floor. This restriction will be removed, so that making a roof on your first 1x1 house will not require the floor.

-

Question.........what does this mean? The way it reads to me.......making a roof on your first 1x1 house. So all other houses will have the restriction? It's early here and I'm still only on my second cup of coffee, but I honestly can't think of any other way to read this. No other interpretation comes to mind.

If this is the case, I would have to say please don't do this. I like the floors I already have in most of my houses, and due to the paving requirements I can't make any of the new ones (besides wood) despite high masonry & carp, not to mention unavailability of the materials for those I'd be willing to replace my existing floors with. Rather than replace my floors, I'd simply forget about a roof and sleep under the stars until such time as I can do it in a way I can live with. :)

Now with all that said, if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know and I'll drink another pot of coffee and thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Question.........what does this mean? The way it reads to me.......making a roof on your first 1x1 house. So all other houses will have the restriction? It's early here and I'm still only on my second cup of coffee, but I honestly can't think of any other way to read this. No other interpretation comes to mind.

If this is the case, I would have to say please don't do this. I like the floors I already have in most of my houses, and due to the paving requirements I can't make any of the new ones (besides wood) despite high masonry & carp, not to mention unavailability of the materials for those I'd be willing to replace my existing floors with. Rather than replace my floors, I'd simply forget about a roof and sleep under the stars until such time as I can do it in a way I can live with. :)

Now with all that said, if I'm reading this wrong, please let me know and I'll drink another pot of coffee and thank you for putting my mind at ease.

no right now it requires you to plan a floor to start a roof but then you can tear the bottom plan up after you have the second flor planned.

What he's talking about is doing away with having to plan the bottom floor to start the second floor and just plan the top floor so no plan and destroy proccess just build.

Actually, there's an issue right now, reported in "server bugs" which I assumed is what was being referrenced. I've also heard a few other people mention this. It apprears we are now required to actually complete the floor first. I can't log in right now to test this, but saw this post and figured that's what it's about.

I have this house, 3x3, with a wooden floor, that was built before the 1.0 release.

I want to build its roof.

Up to now, I have been able to build a roof over 2 tiles, by using the "usual" procedure: get a mallet, plan floor below, plan roof, build roof, destroy floor plan.

When I want to repeat the same procedure for the remaining 7 tiles of my house, it doesn't work anymore: I can plan the floor below, but then I cannot plan the roof -- I don't get the "plan" menu anymore. Also, it does not work for other buildings on my deed.

Help! Winter is cold, and it's snowing in my house!

Cheers

Edited by Amadee

I built a couple roofs late last night on three 2x2 cottages, built a number of months ago with wood floorboard floors, without any issue. Planned the "floor", planned the roof, deleted the floor plan without completing any of it, and built the roofs. No hitches on any of them. ((WELL EXCEPT I CANNOT REPAIR OR IMPROVE ANY OF THEM WHICH MEANS THEY WILL ROT AWAY SOON, WHICH IS ALREADY REPORTED SOME TIME NOW AND NO TIMETABLE FOR A FIX. ON DEED ROOFS ARE SAFE though)

I am not sure what he means above about "a roof over 2 tiles", does he mean a double floor high ceiling? I know some people were discussing these and maybe those are no longer possible now.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

FFS. I thought it was safe to go ahead and build a 13x3 building with multiple turrets and levels so I have all the walls made on the lower floor. Got some pottery brick floors done. Now I don't have the skills to finish it because for some stupid reason someone thought making pottery brick floors should require even higher paving. LMAO

Please stop screwing with skill requirements.

Slate slab flooring seems a little off concerning required components.

To make a slate slab currently requires 21 slate shingles and 5 concrete.

Slate slab = 80 weight

Total weight of components to build 1 slab = 330 (21x15 + 5x3)

Add to that the fact that you require 3 slate slabs and 11 mortar to pave just one tile and the numbers get even worse.