Sign in to follow this  
JasperCity

Rare Drops On Monsters

One of the biggest complaints I hear from new players (mayor of a large village here) is that there's really no reason to raise your fight skill other than to kill off pesky critters or hunt for meat. When your fight skill is 70+ there seems to be no reason to go hunting anymore, because most the meat you'll ever need you'll get from guards and fishing.

So why not allow monsters a really small chance of dropping rares? With uniques having a much higher chance (like the kyklops) of dropping rare items of poor QL. Like a rare butchering knife, etc... Only on Trolls and goblins I would assume.

If anyone has ideas on how to make spiders and such interesting, please suggest them here.

This is not an end all solution, but I thought it'd be quick to add and make fighting interesting and something you could do for hours on end. Any other suggestions are also welcome!

• Like 5

-1. Fighting is not meant to be main thing in this game. And it is not usual mmo there you can get anything from mob drops -.-

it would be extremely rare and give a purpose to fighting trolls as of right now there is no reason if your fs is high enough as they don't even give the most optimal gain.

ON TOP OF THAT rare items aren't really all that great anyway. Most of them don't even add benefits to the game and the ones that do give a very minimal impact. I don't see the harm in this and why you guys are freakin out :P

Also if fighting was not meant to be the main thing then why does most the game evolve around it? There are TONS of monsters/animals to kill, butcher, etc... there are also rare dragons, kyklops, and a variety of weapons and weapon types as well as armor why is it that most the game somehow involves fighting yet you say it's not the focus? For us on Epic, it is ALL the focus.

Edited by JasperCity

id rather have troll fs gain improved, rather than this rare drop nonsense

I like. hmm lets see...

trolls rare mauls

lava spiders rare cotton

hell hounds rare swords

lava fiends rare axes

etc.

like 0.01 chance or less

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 1

even if fs was improved, people would still opt for spiders and such since they are still way easier to kill and less down time. Plus, what's the purpose of fight skill if the creatures you kill give you NO REASON to kill them and increase your fight skill? They have to have something worth giving.

My personal choice would be that cooking be redone and that each meat type of each monster become unique and useful but that just isn't happening anytime soon. This is an easy thing to add

-1, it's a sandbox crafting game, not a generic bland mmo.

-1, it's a sandbox crafting game, not a generic bland mmo.

sandbox crafting game with an entire fighting + pvp system, seems more like a plain SANDBOX rather than a "sandbox crafting game"
  • Like 1

sandbox crafting game with an entire fighting + pvp system, seems more like a plain SANDBOX rather than a "sandbox crafting game"

Good job. It still isn't a generic bland mmo.

Good job. It still isn't a generic bland mmo.

well then why not add more things to keep it from being bland? Seriously its not like loot has to kill the game forever.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from new players (mayor of a large village here) is that there's really no reason to raise your fight skill other than to kill off pesky critters or hunt for meat. When your fight skill is 70+ there seems to be no reason to go hunting anymore, because most the meat you'll ever need you'll get from guards and fishing.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Why would the new players you speak of be complaining about not having a reason to raise fighting? Have they never gone traveling and had to fight trolls or other high tier creatures?

and... why would a player with 70+ fighting have to use tower guards or even templars to gather meat. It is such a waste of weapon and shield skill gain.

There are rare drops for creatures already.

To name a few:

- High QL Hides

- The Goblin Leader Short Sword and Medium Shield.

- Kyklops, Forest Giant and Troll King weapon and butchered products.

- Scale and Drake Hide

As much as I like hunting animals, I'd have to -1 this idea.

Maybe though, rare components could drop that could be combined in some way to provide temporary effects of some sort.

there is already a variation in drops....one that makes sense and that is why I wanna keep it that way. Wolves aren't supposed to drop Bling bling swords, trolls can't craft bling bling Weapons and a hellhound can't keep rare cotton on him *rollseyes*

if someone really wants to go fighting, they always did, if something needs an improvement, then it is the fighting itself.

I never said wolves and spiders should drop anything. I was mainly focusing on trolls being the high end game content, and goblins being a rare sighting in themselves + a chance of drops on them (they are thieves after all). Then maybe the kyklops could use an upgrade on his loot because right now I can't convince anyone to kill him he's not worth the risk of skill loss lol.

JUST those two monsters. I was talking about ways to improve the others to make them more interesting, but I was not assuming rare item drops. I would never want to see rare cotton on a spider. Stop freaking out over the suggestion, holy crap. You guys are freaking out over a possibly .01% chance of an item dropping on your precious game. lol

I've never, in the entirety of my play, ever seen a player go out of their way to kill a troll.

Edited by JasperCity

I think there are other ways to add extra reasons to kill animals without making them drop random low ql tools. For example expand on alchemy, require very specific items for some remedies/potions, for which you need to hunt down the creatures that have those. For example one potion could need an eye, but only one eye will do, a troll's eye. Could even require new things, like a troll's heart, etc.

Right now if you need a reason to hunt I'd advise to focus on creatures with pelts, high ql pelts can be very handy.

As for trolls and goblins, I think they should only drop what they are using. So if a goblin is using a sword and shield then it should drop that when you kill it, just as the troll drops it's club. Rolf did want goblin villages at some point, would be nice to have those for trolls and goblins and if those villages develop far enough that the creatures near it will start to equip better stuff, for example trolls with really big mauls, swords, etc (probably too big to wield for a player, but you could always recycle it for lumps). But right now those villages don't yet exist, so it would be weird for those creatures to walk around with manufactured weaponry. The troll club makes sense, they probably just turn trees into clubs with brute force.

Edited by Ecrir
  • Like 1

Ecrir as I stated above, I completely agree with you. But look how long it took for us to get any improvements, a year. Even then cooking is still a joke and all these ingredients we get off their corpses mostly a waste. You kill a few to get enough for what you need then you never turn to hunting again. After I hit 70 FS I only PVP on epic, and rarely if ever go kill anything.

Fighters need a purpose, something that allows them to always keep busy doing fighting... blacksmiths have blacksmithing, etc... but fighters once they hit 70 there's no real reason for them to go out hunting.

Edited by JasperCity

Ecrir as I stated above, I completely agree with you. But look how long it took for us to get any improvements, a year. Even then cooking is still a joke and all these ingredients we get off their corpses mostly a waste. You kill a few to get enough for what you need then you never turn to hunting again. After I hit 70 FS I only PVP on epic, and rarely if ever go kill anything.

Fighters need a purpose, something that allows them to always keep busy doing fighting... blacksmiths have blacksmithing, etc... but fighters once they hit 70 there's no real reason for them to go out hunting.

this. It needs improvement simple as that.

haha these comments remind me when ppl where saying wurm wasnt about skyscrapers.

the more a game has in way of entertainment the more customers its going to attract.

but i dont want to go looking for an troll eye to heal a head wound...

I remember someone informing me (I'm pretty sure it was someone who would know this kinda stuff) that Wurm was always meant to be fighting/PvP heavy, with crafting and sandbox-y stuff as a very close second (that last part is my assumption.)

If people want to do more with fighting, come to a PvP server... raising fight skill pays off, and it's a nice change of pace if you get bored of killing Bambi. :)

-1 Fighting in wurm is for survival, fun and a bit of pelts and stuff.

@Fireflyb

Was meant to be or Rolf wanted it too be?. Ive always been told and firmly believe that Rolf prefers PvP and assume thts common knowledge.

Edited by Blob

I am on a pvp server firefly, but I don't always have the 2-3 hours of time it takes to get on a boat and find some quality pvp. Sometimes I'm only on for 15-30 minutes and want to go kill something, but instead I find myself crafting another X items because no reason to go out hunting :)