Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Mending Structures, First Person Animations

• Structures should no longer have holes in them after restart
  • Own animations should now properly play for the player as well
  • Paving skillgain for building floors was tweaked
  • An issue occurred with the Chaos server during maintenance which means it will be offline longer while we investigate

View the full article

Higher skillgain or less?

Other stuff is exciting though. I still agree that we should be able to sheathe our weapons and tools though, I believe Xallo came up with the idea.

I think it was possibly higher skillgain. Lower skillgain on it wouldn't make any sense and would only serve to create more parking lots.

Is it not possible for the eyes/camera to move with the head? It is a little odd seeing the back of your head move around with things like chopping down trees.

Edit: It is a minor thing and i guess i will get use to it but i think maybe not seeing your own animations might be better then this. (maybe give us an option to pick if we want see our own animations or not might work?

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Is it not possible for the eyes/camera to move with the head? It is a little odd seeing the back of your head move around with things like chopping down trees.

Yeah, something like this would be a cool option to have. I wouldn't want it to be the default because that would make some people sick I imagine.

Yes, i edited my post that it might be better to just give us an option to not see our own animations like it was before the patch. I have not done many actions yet so will see how the day goes i might get use to it.

Edited by Kegan

Own animations should now properly play for the player as well

This was disappointing with 1.0 expecting to see PC animations then see other people having at it with their shovel and I am still holding it in a pre1.0 embrace. Then I realized do I really want to get that seasick with my view moving around, so it made sense it was left out.

Logging in now as I want to see how that was resolved. In Skyrim it was done with forced rotation of third person view so you could watch yourself (a very enjoyable way of hiding crafting timers!) , but this is a first person view game so interested to see the solution since we can't be showing the spider lurking behind you. I would prefer to see my head moving rather than my view though, long as the camera does not move inside my brain to show my teeth. Get enough of that just moving into other people as we work.

Edited by yarnevk

• An issue occurred with the Chaos server during maintenance which means it will be offline longer while we investigate

View the full article

Full article denotes more information rather than just a re-post of above. Could we get a tidbit on what paving tweak is, please?

Memory leak = client side

Nearly everything in this article = server side (Except seeing own animations which would have been a little flag somewhere)

Different coders working on it. Also, memory leaks can be a total pain to hunt down, although I understand of course they can also be a total pain to put up with too!

Memory leak = client side

Nearly everything in this article = server side (Except seeing own animations which would have been a little flag somewhere)

Different coders working on it. Also, memory leaks can be a total pain to hunt down, although I understand of course they can also be a total pain to put up with too!

It's not only that - I'm having my screen flash, I'm having client freezes, I've having client crashes, pretty annoying to play with 0 fps.

Edit: It is a minor thing and i guess i will get use to it but i think maybe not seeing your own animations might be better then this. (maybe give us an option to pick if we want see our own animations or not might work?

I would very much like to see a way to turn off just our own animations, especially the sword flashing irregularly on the screen when you walk. (I had to turn off all animations to get rid of that; turning off all avatar animations still left the sword.)

ya the bobbing swords are distracting, and anyway its dangerous to run w sharp items in yre hand :) .. as already suggested we need a sheath weapons option

have to say i hate the own player animations, dont want to go from first person to an out of body 3rd person, and the saw animations threatens to bring on the pukies within about a minute .. so avatar animations off for me.

Possibly worth noting (and as a programmer myself, I imagine this would be quite easy to fix) mining up and down does not have an animation, while mining forward does. It's a small thing that doesn't really harm anything, but it'd be great to have :) just slap the mine_forward animation onto the other two and you're golden.

Great work with 1.0 you all, I'm really loving the game and the chance at restarting on Pristine :)

especially the sword flashing irregularly on the screen when you walk.

There was another thread on auto drawing (sheathing) of the sword when (not) targeting anything, and if you have auto-fight off instead use the sheath/unsheath that is added to the fighting palette. A much better solution, since apparently some like to see themselves waving their swords like a madman.

Sign in to follow this