Sign in to follow this  
Karrde

Paving Skill

Other construction skills have ways to help get the skills up for building requirements, typically by making the required materials: planks for carpentry, bricks for masonry, and etc.

Not so much with paving.

I would recomend that paving be made a masonry subskill, and that slate slabs have a lowered creation using paving skill (and be impable?). Slate slabs seem like a good option for paving skill since they require concrete and slate to make.

• Like 2

Having Paving a hard skill to gain that requires a lot of work could make a market for planning rare and special floors, I think it should stay this way.

I shouldn't have to build a highway from Deli to Exo just to have the skill to make a stone floor in my house. It may be an exaggeration but how many people are going to be paving the lands just to raise the skill? It's just bad form. Not only that Wooden roofs requiring as many nails as they do per tile is preposterous.

Alright guys...I had roughly 5 paving yesterday and I grinded it up to 21. Making slab actually raises paving and my mayor said he was getting good skill ticks off it. I tried bricks and shards for paving and it seemed to me that I got better skill gain off of gravel because I didn't have to spend the time making bricks. I paved a random blob for about 200 tiles off in the middle of no where and then decided that was silly so went back to the deed I'm at and found a good 10x6 area. I made piles of shards and bricks turned sb on paved em all and then tore em down. I am a vyn follower so I lost eh maybe 1 faith throughout the process. I think I used..2 to 2 1/2 hours of sb on it. I'm guessing it took me roughly 300 ish bricks and maybe 300 shards? to do this.

Yes, I completely agree we should have a way of grinding paving by imping the bricks we place or something.... imping slabs was an awesome way to raise masonry to the 30 required much like imping rafts was a great way to get your SB off the ground. We need a way to grind up paving without paving the scenery for no reason, even if it takes the same amount of resources I think that's fine, just paving the same area, tearing it up and repaving is getting ridiculous.

Making slab actually raises paving and my mayor said he was getting good skill ticks off it.

You mean creating the slabs and possibly imping them is now a Paving skill? or paving the slabs?

You mean creating the slabs and possibly imping them is now a Paving skill? or paving the slabs?

I got the impression it was from laying the slab down while making the slab tiles. I don't know if this includes throwing mortar down in the mix or just slab. He just made the offhand comment that he was getting some decent skilling ticks in paving. He has a 7x7 house but he isn't doing all of it in slab. I can go count how many he's done if you want. Think he's gotten 3 skill points.

Edited by alaskanbob

up to 21 paving it's probably best to pave a small area over and over with gravel. From 21 you can grind paving by building stone slab floors up to 30. From there it's going great with slate shingle roofs.

I went from 18 to 33 in two days only with SB.

[2012-12-15 17:09:55] Paving increased by 0.0756 to 18,315

[2012-12-16 20:10:08] Paving increased by 0.102 to 33,050

I paved a random blob for about 200 tiles off in the middle of no where and then decided that was silly so went back to the deed I'm at and found a good 10x6 area.

This is the problem I have with it. Multiply by a few hundred people grinding paving skill and Wurm will look more like downtown Detroit than anything. I don't mind the need to grind a skill to get somewhere, that's pretty much the essence of Wurm, but I'd prefer that we didn't have to turn it into a parking lot in the process.

Add some way: imping slabs, imping slate, marble tiles, etc to grind paving initially without covering the world. Yeah folks can pave/remove but many will just do step 1.

Edited by belthize
  • Like 1

Improving slate slabs for paving skill would be a handy way to get some skill without paving a few hundred tiles worth.

EDIT: Even if they were not impable, just using pave to create them at low levels would be useful.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Ok, I review my point, Requiring Paving for Floors but not gaining any for making them is just ugh. From the last update the only thing you can build are wooden floors. You need bout 20 paving for the next option, this seems a bit of a high requirement.