Sign in to follow this  
silakka

Archeology

Not a skill, but a nice addition to digging.

Every skill has some kind of an reward, except boring digging. You just dig dig and maybe get a rare, nothing special really.

Isn't it strange that you dont find anything inside the ground after digging 5k dirt? I think we should find something special like while mining you get gems =)

We could collect animal/dinosaur/human bones and then assemble them like lego in to a statue.

Fully finished skeletons will give different kinds of bonuses to masonry... carpentry... blacksmithing around 20x20 area, and they would look very nice ^^

Diggers require a some kind of an reward for sculpturing tons of lands and it would be nice to buy/sell a missing part from/to someone =p

Edited by silakka

When you first posted this, I thought it would be a stupid idea.

Now that I've taken the time to read it, I actually kinda like it, however, I think it'd lead to giant holes everywhere for people collecting artifacts.

Now if i remember correctly back way in the day on Golden Valley, the GM's and Devs has a large piece of land for Non-digging. It was labled as a archeology site ... i do believe that this has been thought of. The addition of it, would be neat. +1

Actually we already have this on a daily basis... some people dont even wait for the coals in the fires to go cold :ph34r:

Without the bonuses, I'd say yes, with those bonuses, I have to say no. Mining does give gems, however collecting gems doesn't give a "free" skill bonus, no matter how many you have.

Also, what about:

• Lumberjacking (Wood Cutting) doesn't give anything either, so what about the lumberjacks
  • Farming (or just cutting grass/reeds)
  • Fishing

Just as a few other examples to consider.

Without the bonuses, I'd say yes, with those bonuses, I have to say no. Mining does give gems, however collecting gems doesn't give a "free" skill bonus, no matter how many you have.

Also, what about:

• Lumberjacking (Wood Cutting) doesn't give anything either, so what about the lumberjacks
  • Farming (or just cutting grass/reeds)
  • Fishing

Just as a few other examples to consider.

I also thought of those.

You might hit your rake in to a golden treasure (relative to gems)

woodcutting might give you special bird eggs

with fishing you could press 'check' on your fish and see if it has some treasure inside =p

but I didnt mention those, because all 3 of those need a own thread or I could also expand this thread, but I like when people consantrate on 1 topic.

Maybe you can dig some holy artifact you could sacrifice for favor.

Finding bones works for me, can use teeth for now.

One could even have the game keep track of the more occupied areas that become abandoned, and the longer the occupation the better the stuff (tied to the accumulated knowledge a village already stores up). Have various low ql metal components and tools come up.

Might even have it correlated with the decay of actual items; though, that may get tricky in overhead.

Finding bones works for me, can use teeth for now.

One could even have the game keep track of the more occupied areas that become abandoned, and the longer the occupation the better the stuff (tied to the accumulated knowledge a village already stores up). Have various low ql metal components and tools come up.

Might even have it correlated with the decay of actual items; though, that may get tricky in overhead.

As metal detecting is a huge hobby for me irl, I screamed like a little girl reading this. +15400050230211543413121.5

I figured as much, but the lead in with:

[...]

Every skill has some kind of an reward, except boring digging. You just dig dig and maybe get a rare, nothing special really.

Isn't it strange that you dont find anything inside the ground after digging 5k dirt? I think we should find something special like while mining you get gems =)

[...]

Implies these skills already DO have these types of "random rewards".

Again, I think the "Find random item" idea is a good and fun addition, and supported other posts suggesting this idea, just don't add skill/stat bonuses on top of them.

I figured as much, but the lead in with:

Implies these skills already DO have these types of "random rewards".

Again, I think the "Find random item" idea is a good and fun addition, and supported other posts suggesting this idea, just don't add skill/stat bonuses on top of them.

Well, to make a finished brontosaurus, someone has to dig in total atleast 20k dirt to get one.

I think all this work should be rewarded with like 10 or 20% more exp for nearby players =)

10% and 20% really dont mean anything, so it's just a little fun bonus to have and a reward for all the work you've done.

But even without these bonuses Archeology would be a nice thing to be added.

As metal detecting is a huge hobby for me irl, I screamed like a little girl reading this. +15400050230211543413121.5

haha, when I got this idea I was screaming like a little girl too =p

Edited by silakka

10% and 20% really dont mean anything, so it's just a little fun bonus to have and a reward for all the work you've done..

you might not thing so, but I'm sure most people who grind skills would disagree...

My view on this is that there's no reason to have "rewards" for playing the game. There's plenty of satisfaction from digging - you're changing the world itself to how you want it to be. I just don't see enough justification for what would be required to implement this (just my opinion of course).

Considering all the mountains gems or a chunk of ore wouldn't be out of line.

Edited by Macgregor

+1 like finding gems when mining, find the lost history of wurm in relics that add to the backstory. It just adds that extra bit of woot that keeps you doing the mundane things.

We commented same last nite diggout out a pit looking for the water table, not finding water was blah, finding wurmasoar bones would have been a thrill.

Edited by yarnevk

+1 like finding gems when mining, find the lost history of wurm in relics that add to the backstory. It just adds that extra bit of woot that keeps you doing the mundane things.

We commented same last nite diggout out a pit looking for the water table, not finding water was blah, finding wurmasoar bones would have been a thrill.

Exactly this! =)

Again, I like the idea/concept, just not the "free" skill/stat bonuses. Miners could start asking for hidden caverns or niches with some form of "artifact" or artifact piece as well, and then we have a discovery based grind/arms race going on...

This would still leave out the nature skill users as well, unless they were able to find items that allowed them to also build these types of collection rewards.

Edited by Hussars

Again, I like the idea/concept, just not the "free" skill/stat bonuses. Miners could start asking for hidden caverns or niches with some form of "artifact" or artifact piece as well, and then we have a discovery based grind/arms race going on...

This would still leave out the nature skill users as well, unless they were able to find items that allowed them to also build these types of collection rewards.

more rewards for everyone!

Personally dug up 5 rare dirts and nobody else got any so I spread the wealth around, that kinda work makes you hungry and thirsty.

With the incredible randomness of mining gems I doubt people are swiss cheesing mountains just for gems, so keep it to that level and you will not see too many open pit digs just to get some lootz. You can bulk sell your stone for more than what you get in gems so usually its just a fun thing to have happen.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with hidden auto-generated caverns? Doesnt need some kind of item inside to be cool, find enough of those abandoned by players

Well there used to be an Artifacts skill in-game, for artifacts obviously ;) but what if you just opened up this skill again for archeology, make some tools so you clean the bones etc, increasing the quality of the bones and end product, and maybe providing a slightly better bonus for QL :)

A while ago someone had a suggestion to take some of the trader money and use it to give random coin reward while you dig. Their where other suggestions along these lines in it too. Since digging is faster then mining, maybe a half a percent chance to get a single copper coin which could be a 1, 5 or 20.