Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Weapon Sheathing

Another possible take on how this system could work...

You should automatically sheathe and unsheathe a weapon depending on whether or not you're targeting something or not.

As soon as you target something, you draw your weapon. After you either kill the target, or you no-target, your weapon should automatically be sheathed again.

Maybe you could require wearing a scabbard around the legs or torso, depending on weapon? Bows would obviously require a torso scabbard on the back, while a single-handed longsword, maul, or axe would require a scabbard placed on the legs (such as the toolbelt). The larger weapons would require torso scabbards that hang on your back as well.

Simple idea, but I think it would save a lot of headaches for people who dislike seeing their weapons flail around uncontrollably in front of them.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 18

When I logged in and saw my arms going crazy with weapons in front of me, I lol'd. I would like to have the sheathing option.

• Like 1

Heh, the unfortunate side effect of giving us what we want is that we will want more.

But, now that animations are looking nice, walking around with weapons out seems out of place.

Edited by Pollo

The only down side to this is new players won't be forced into the humiliating process of spending 30 minutes on their first day trying to sheathe their weapon like I did, so I'm inclined to stay no out of spite.

Nah, definitely +1.

My mommy always told me not to run with sciccors. I guess my wurm mommy never told me not to run with a huge sword.

+1

As soon as you target something, you draw your weapon. After you either kill the target, or you no-target, your weapon should automatically be sheathed again.

Definitely not automatically! Otherwise, +1

+1

Unquipping weapons to inventory leaves you in a dangerous position when attacked by a mob, or seeing the absolute sillyness of you flailing at the air of invisible mobs.

Use the status of 'Target' the macro for draw, 'No Target' the macro for sheathing. Give me a nice sheath to make, that fits in with the belt and backpack arts. And add a cool looking draw/sheath animation. Until the player-made sheath is created, the default of the old holding it animation rotated 90d will suffice, since you never actually held your weapon before it will look fine just like your sword is strapped to your leg.

+1

However I think they shoudln't be sheated automatically, maybe use Space or another key to toggle.

Aditionally it would we awesome if we could switch between equipment automatically, for example: 1 Draw Sword, 2 Draw Bow, 3 Draw throwing knifes

Edited by Iulianx
  • Like 1

This has been suggested many times before but, now with the game in its current state following the release of V1, plus more developers its a more viable option if not now, but certainly later.

Id just settle for having sheathes and scabbards as extra hotbars.

However I think they shoudln't be sheated automatically

For a game where you automatically swap to your weapons in between holding your things your crafting/farming with? If the game was being realistic then it would have required removing weapons to craft/farm to begin with! Only exception there is pottery since it requires the use of your bare hands as a tool, but apparently you don't need your hands to hold your other crafting/farming tool?

hotbars for selecting weapon configs would be nice, but lets not get too far down the road that other MMOS of a hotbar load out deck game from your infinite armory you carry on your back.

Edited by yarnevk

I wouldn't mind if there were a toggle feature, if my weapon COULD NOT be out unless i were targeting something that'd be kind of dull.

When I go to war I like to wave my weapons in the air without having to target someone and when I craft I don't wanna poke the forge with my longsword, its a simple as that.

Make a sheathed weapon visible in a new hot bar, and make it so that when you activate an item, it becomes the item you are holding.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

However when it comes to swapping weapons around in one's hands, there should be a bit of a timer. For the same reasons as having a timer for any autoequip.

I like the idea of being able to sheath weapons when no target is up, would really make people use the no target function more lol

+1