Sign in to follow this  
mrcrowz

Documentation For New Multi-Storey Houses

Alright, the first thing I notice when I try logging in is, there's completely no documentation whatsoever on one of the major (and coolest) features in 1.0, and thats, yep, you guessed it...

...House building.

Understandably, wiki hasn't been updated yet, so i hope this thread can help consolidate all your current knowledge regarding houses and their new features so as to avoid confusion when building your dream home. (probably good copypasta too when someone decides to edit the wiki)

Floors

Wooden plank floor

-Hammer/mallet, uses carpentry

-1 plank to start, 10 additional planks

-1 small nails to start, 2 additional small nails

Pottery brick floor

-Trowel, uses paving (successful at 22.8 skill)

-1 pottery brick to start, 10 additional bricks

-1 mortar to start, 10 additional mortar (contrib. by ianrose)

Stone slab floor

-Trowel, uses paving (successful at 22.8 skill)

-1 slab to start, 2 additional slabs

-1 mortar to start, 10 additional mortar (contrib. by KyleBooze)

Marble slab floor

-Trowel, uses paving

Stone brick floor

-Trowel, uses masonry

-1 stone brick to start, 10 additional bricks

-1 mortar to start, 2 additional mortar

Slate slab floor

-Trowel, uses paving

-1 slate slab to start, 2 additional slab

-1 mortar to start, 10 additional mortar (contrib. by Karellean)

Floor comparisons

Stone brick vs. pottery brick

Left is stone brick floor, right is pottery floor

http://i.imgur.com/ZxGjR.jpg

Stone brick vs. Slate slab

Completed Floors

Slate (The brick Like Floor Below)

Stone Slab Floor (The shiny pattern Above)

For 3 Slabs and 11 Mortar vs what the slate cost... You can guess what Ill be using...

NewFloors.JPG

Full comparison

wurm201212150106.jpg

Roofs

Wooden shingle roof

-Hammer/mallet

-1 wooden shingle to start, 20 additional shingles

-1 small nails to start, 2 additional small nails

Slate shingle roof

Trowel, uses paving

Pottery shingle roof

Trowel, uses masonry

Thatched roof

Hammer/mallet, uses thatching

Fences

Indoors

-Very little info at the moment. It would seem indoor fences can only be built outside an actual building (irony) so imho they can currently only be built on upper levels as balconies.

Wooden fence

Wooden parapet

Low wall

Stone parapet

Stone and iron parapet

Tall wall

Iron fence

Outdoors

Crude wooden fence

-Appears to be bugged at the moment, simply planning the fence with 1 shaft creates an impenetrable fence called "unknown wall type -13"

Stone and iron parapet left, Stone parapet right. Both take 15 stone bricks but no iron, strangely enough.

stone_parapets.jpg

Building materials

Concrete

-1.5kg Lye + 1.5kg Mortar = 3kg Concrete

Slate shards

-Mine from slate vein.

Slate shingle

-Use chisel on slate shards, nets 15kg Slate shingle.

Slate Slab

-3kg Concrete + 20x 15kg Slate shingles = 80kg Slate slab

Pottery Brick

-Use hand on clay(>15kg), nets 15kg Clay brick.

-Place Clay brick in a fire.

Pottery Shingle

-Use hand on clay, nets Clay shingle

-Place Clay shingle in a fire.

Wooden Shingle

-Use saw on plank(>0.3kg), nets 0.3kg Wooden shingle.

Notes:

-No more building on slanted tiles. All buildings MUST be on flat ground.

-Note that you have to create a floor plan below you before you can build a roof. Do this by using a hammer/mallet on a floor and Plan>Floor below, then Plan>Floor above/Roof.

-The new floor plans are different from floor tiles, which will be overridden once you complete building on that plan.

-There are NO action timers for destroying incomplete floors or roofs, so be careful where you click!

-Ladders are generated from open floor plans as soon as you finish building them.

-There is currently no way to shift completed furniture up and down floors. They can only be hauled up in their incomplete forms.

These are my observations from the first hour in 1.0, so the knowledge I have is pretty sparse atm. If you have any new knowledge on multi-storied housing, do share, and I'll add them to the OP. Thanks!

Edited by mrcrowz
  • Like 6

Pottery brick floor:

11 pottery bricks, 11 mortar

each pottery brick uses 15 kg of clay (activate right hand and use on clay) and must be fired in a forge/oven/campfire

Aye most of that people who played on test know, also a maul was required for destroying unwanted plans and such. Course the main thing atm people are figuring out is how to create the new basic materials required, when the ensuing live problems are not being debugged and patched.

Things are still pretty new and hectic before anyone gets around to doing wiki articles. Rolf just threw in a bunch of shiny new balls, so we gotta play with em first :P

hold on on the numbers, it may say so many items but from what i have seen i usually finish before the required items, so try counting the actions and stuff :D

Thatching seems bugged. says I need higher skill to build that high when it's the first floor roof. Can't figger out the tool since you can't do anything on reeds or grass with it and need a hammer to make a thatched roof

stone slab floor:

Total: 3 slabs and 11 mortar

-1 slab to start, 2 additional slabs

-1 mortar to start, 10 additional mortar

pottery brick floor:

Total: 11 pottery bricks and 11 mortar

-1 pottery brick to start, 10 additional pottery bricks

-1 motar to start, 10 additional mortar

22.8 paving

Edited by KyleBooze

Thatching seems bugged. says I need higher skill to build that high when it's the first floor roof. Can't figger out the tool since you can't do anything on reeds or grass with it and need a hammer to make a thatched roof

Try a leggat, needs nail and shaft as I recall to make. So much for recollection, it's large nail and plank: http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Leggat

Edited by belthize

I have 20 paving skill and I currently cannot make slab, slate, and marble floors

Pottery Roof

[05:28:24] You see a roof under construction. The roof requires 20 pottery shingles and 20 mortar to be finished.

Left is pottery, right is wood.
/>https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdf01ngbk8z6gs8/wurm.20121213.0539.jpg

Edited by Headhunter

Try a leggat, needs nail and shaft as I recall to make.

Made one, no go. says I don't have the skill to thatching skill for that high level. when using hammer, using leggat says I need the right tool, trying tool on both reed fiber and grass gives no craft option

With Leggat: [22:35:19] You need to activate the correct building tool if you want to build that.

With hammer: [22:36:50] You need higher Thatching skill to build at that height.

Edited by Vorg

Do we have any screen shots of these floors and roofs? i would love to see em before i build em

Left is stone brick floor, right is pottery floor
/>http://i.imgur.com/ZxGjR.jpg

What is the number of additional levels that can be added to a structure?

I believe 10 atm

Are staircases no longer used? mine is still just a bag sitting on finish floor with open floor above. it stuck a ladder in instead.

Are staircases no longer used? mine is still just a bag sitting on finish floor with open floor above. it stuck a ladder in instead.

Staircases aren't finished yet, the ladders are temporary until stairs work, or maybe as an alternative.

On 10/4/2012 playing on test server, with a 32ql leggat, 70 thatching skill, and 68ql mixed grass success chance to make thatch was 22%. Test server uses epic curve so that 70 skill is like 99 on freedom. If you not getting an option to make thatch when using leggit on mixed grass, then I'd guess they decided it should be hard to make thatch constructs.

Edited by joedobo

I'm not seeing any options to make metal floors. I tried a hamer, trowel and mallet. I got 95 BS and 78 smith so skills shouldn't be an issue.

70 skill? that is stupid. Thatched roof should be the easyest and cheapest to make. And how do you get 70 skill with the only thing you can make now seems to be roofs?

Please keep in mind that was test server 2 months ago...but yea I agree thatched should be the easiest type.

Also, trying to make a thatched roof with legat active gets you: [00:45:55] You need to activate the correct building tool if you want to build that.

[08:51:36] You need higher Paving skill to build Slate slab roof.

Tried to make a slate shingles roof. Paving skill 17,99

Do we really have to make roofs we don't like first until we grinded a rather useless skill until we can have the look we want?