Sign in to follow this  
Kanyl

Will There Be A Rush On The New Server?

Hello! First time here and hopefully not the last! ^_^

I have read somewhere that it's important to snag a good piece of land, as fast as possible, on the new server. I have never played Wurm for real, but will do it now. Somehow, I do feel stressed because of what I read. Do I have to worry, or should I burst through the tutorial, snag a plot and then relax? Or can I take it slow and easy? (also, do I have to be a subscriber, to have a plot?)

Would be nice if someone could explain! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

There is plenty of space in the server, so unless you want to get a deed somewhere next to the starting area, there is no need to rush

I hope there will be a "rush" though to Wurm... a rush might be like ten players.

If you'd like to team up, I have a thread up asking for members. Yes, you need to have premium to get silver to buy a settlement deed, but if you look at the options page when you go to purchase, you can get some gametime and silver in one package.

With how little infrastructure the server is going to have (ie roads) I doubt players will be able to get too far off from the beaten path (since there isn't one!) too quickly.

New server will have epic curve right? And you can bring money from epic servers, if you never been to freedome?

Skills will be restarted in that case or not?

You will need to be a paid account to place a deed, but you can also just fence in an area with 1x1 house along it to stop others from deeding over it.

But yes, Im sure there will be at least 130 players on the new server running around cutting trees and/or looking to place a deed.

New server will have epic curve right? And you can bring money from epic servers, if you never been to freedome?

No only new made characters will be able to get to this new server. Tut entry only

Edited by Ronnie

New characters only, no skills, no money, spiders only, final destination.

No curve in this new server, this server is in freedom cluster, it is just inaccesible for old freedom characters, so that this server would be completely fresh.

New characters only. Characters that have only ever been on Epic can choose the new server as their new home using an Epic portal. Money can be transferred that way, and rolf has already said he's fine with that. Money isn't the issue. There is no Epic skillcurve and the server is cut off from the Freedom Cluster in general.

New characters only, no skills, no money, spiders only, final destination.

there will be money, this has already been established.

there will be money, this has already been established.

Meaning you can bring money over from a current character, or you can buy it when you make the character? Because I didn't mean you couldn't BUY money, just that you didn't START with money.

Meaning you can bring money over from a current character, or you can buy it when you make the character? Because I didn't mean you couldn't BUY money, just that you didn't START with money.

You can bring an epic toon who has never been to freedom. So... if you have a toon on epic who has money and has never been to freedom, pick the new server and you can come over with money. Or, take your freedom main to epic and give the money to an alt that is on epic and has never been to freedom who can bring it to the new server.

OR... support the development of this game and buy a few coins in the shop.

• Like 1

Will those Epic only characters be able to transfer with their skills?

no. no skills transfer.

To the OP - yes I think there will be a rush of sorts but don't be stressed about it. A lot of the deeds that get created very early on are by veteran players who wish to take advantage of the new player areas to set up traders and market places and other such amenities.

As you're brand new, you probably don't want a massive deed right away. There will be a TON of space around for you to deed later. The only reason I would say to consider deeding early is if you want a coastal location. These are usually desired because many players like to travel by sea around the server and to other servers. If you don't plan on traveling by sea then there will be absolutely no shortage of space inland.

Now even if you do want a coastal spot, you don't necessarily have to put a deed down. Placing a house of any size (even a 1x1) will prevent other people deeding there. You can then build a fence attached to the house to create an enclosure which secures yourself some land to work in. You could start out doing this and then place a deed on it later.

• Like 1

People commonly ask "Are there any good shoreline places available to deed?" What they are looking for is room for logging, farming, mining, and construction close to the water.

1. Ask on the forums for advice from folks who've done this before. [COMPLETE!]
  2. Buy premium so that when you arrive on the new server you are already premium.
  3. You will spawn next to the starting village token. There will probably be a public trader somewhere nearby. Get 10s from the bank by right clicking the settlement token and choosing 'bank'.
  4. Buy a settlement form from the public trader.
  5. Pick a direction to travel. If possible, head toward a coast. Do NOT head inland initially. There will be no water, you will slow down and be vulnerable to aggressive monsters. (Wurm is a game about starving to death in the wilderness and being eaten by spiders)
  6. If there is any clay nearby, dig 4-6kg of it, and immediately make pottery jars. Fill these with water.
  7. Travel along the shoreline. Ignore other players, try to ignore the social pressure of the crowds, but be focused and calm. The only thing in wurm that can't wait is deeding a nice spot before someone else does. Avoid combat at all costs, avoid taking any damage. Now is not the time to grind your combat skills. Be EXTREMELY careful not to get close to bears, crocodiles and (unlikely) pythons, all of which can swim. Do not attempt to swim long distances, you will run out of stamina and drown.
  8. You are looking for an area along the coast with one or two trees (any type), elevated (mineable) tiles, and enough dirt/sand/flattish tiles that you can have some crops. If possible, avoid spots that have a large amount of marsh tiles. Having clay at the edge of your deed (in the perimeter) can be very good. Remember, you can put trees on steep tiles, and farm the more level ones.
  9. Before deeding, prospect surface rock tiles and make sure there's iron in the area. Other stuff is nice, even great to have, but iron is essential.
  10. Dream big! Don't make a tiny deed and end up feeling constricted later. It's better to start with a 5x5 (11x11) deed with a large perimeter, which you can later scale back. Perimeter tiles are cheap to buy and maintain, and they keep people from building houses and blocking your future plans. If you want your deed to go back far from the shore, make sure to put your settlement token back off the shore so you don't end up paying for a bunch of water tiles later on.
  11. Have a name picked out ahead of time, so you don't end up scanning your desk for things to use as a name, or picking common trite names like "Birchwood Shore" or "Sandy Lakeside" or "Grassy Spot on a Hill Next to the Water with Spiders over Yonder". For ideas about place names, look up toponymy in wikipedia.
  12. Have fun settling in!

• Like 4

Yes there will be something of a rush, you should be good for spots for the first few days regardless.

If you want the perfect spot with coast, clay and rock/iron, you'll wanna be looking asap as those go first.

Anywhere that requires some terraforming will probably be looked over in the first wave, these are often very good spots once you put some work in.

Saying that there's usually a drop off after a couple of months and places will open up again.

People commonly ask "Are there any good shoreline places available to deed?" What they are looking for is room for logging, farming, mining, and construction close to the water.

1. Ask on the forums for advice from folks who've done this before. [COMPLETE!]

2. Buy premium so that when you arrive on the new server you are already premium.

3. You will spawn next to the starting village token. There will probably be a public trader somewhere nearby. Get 10s from the bank by right clicking the settlement token and choosing 'bank'.

4. Buy a settlement form from the public trader.

5. Pick a direction to travel. If possible, head toward a coast. Do NOT head inland initially. There will be no water, you will slow down and be vulnerable to aggressive monsters. (Wurm is a game about starving to death in the wilderness and being eaten by spiders)

6. If there is any clay nearby, dig 4-6kg of it, and immediately make pottery jars. Fill these with water.

7. Travel along the shoreline. Ignore other players, try to ignore the social pressure of the crowds, but be focused and calm. The only thing in wurm that can't wait is deeding a nice spot before someone else does. Avoid combat at all costs, avoid taking any damage. Now is not the time to grind your combat skills. Be EXTREMELY careful not to get close to bears, crocodiles and (unlikely) pythons, all of which can swim. Do not attempt to swim long distances, you will run out of stamina and drown.

8. You are looking for an area along the coast with one or two trees (any type), elevated (mineable) tiles, and enough dirt/sand/flattish tiles that you can have some crops. If possible, avoid spots that have a large amount of marsh tiles. Having clay at the edge of your deed (in the perimeter) can be very good. Remember, you can put trees on steep tiles, and farm the more level ones.

9. Before deeding, prospect surface rock tiles and make sure there's iron in the area. Other stuff is nice, even great to have, but iron is essential.

10. Dream big! Don't make a tiny deed and end up feeling constricted later. It's better to start with a 5x5 (11x11) deed with a large perimeter, which you can later scale back. Perimeter tiles are cheap to buy and maintain, and they keep people from building houses and blocking your future plans. If you want your deed to go back far from the shore, make sure to put your settlement token back off the shore so you don't end up paying for a bunch of water tiles later on.

11. Have a name picked out ahead of time, so you don't end up scanning your desk for things to use as a name, or picking common trite names like "Birchwood Shore" or "Sandy Lakeside" or "Grassy Spot on a Hill Next to the Water with Spiders over Yonder". For ideas about place names, look up toponymy in wikipedia.

12. Have fun settling in!

Ok, thanks for the guide! Still, I got some questions:

1. "Get 10s from the bank by right clicking the settlement token and choosing 'bank'." - Do you mean that I will get free money (10 silver), by doing this? EVEN if I am a totally new player?"

2. Why do I want to fill pots with water?

3. After finding the perfect spot, how much do I have to do, before it's mine? (I know what you wrote, but is it possible to claim the spot, take a 10 hours break and then do the other things you said?)

4. How do I make this 5x5 / 11x11 spot? Do I place a big tile on the ground and "BOOM", it's mine?%

5. Anything more you could tell me (tips), to make it more clear for a beginner?

Thanks again! :)

1) No free money! Having 10 silver in the bank assumes you have purchased 10 silver from the in game shop

2) Because the water jars can be carried with you so you have access to a little water on your travels

3) To claim a spot you either place a deed with a settlement form as the above post says or you'd need to do as I mentioned in my earlier post as build a house and perhaps fence in an enclosed area.

4) If you're playing a deed then yes thats pretty much it - you click the ground, select 'Found Village' then choose your size and yes indeed, boom it's yours :-)

Ok, thanks for the guide! Still, I got some questions:

1. "Get 10s from the bank by right clicking the settlement token and choosing 'bank'." - Do you mean that I will get free money (10 silver), by doing this? EVEN if I am a totally new player?"

You will get 2 silver for going prem as well as a referal, which on the other servers usually goes for 6-7 silver. Atm I do not think there will be much of a market for them unless a few epic players come over and try to snag some. The 10s he is referring to is in game money that you will have purchased through the shop in order to buy a deed.

Water is significantly more important then food during your opening hours. You can starve endlessly but once you are out of water..you are in trouble and your stamina regen will be extremely slow.

3. After finding the perfect spot, how much do I have to do, before it's mine? (I know what you wrote, but is it possible to claim the spot, take a 10 hours break and then do the other things you said?)

If you throw up a few 1x1 houses and fences then there is a good chance that it will hold until you log on next..however that being said someone else could come and put a deed right on the edge of your setup or build their own houses and hope to wait you out.

4. How do I make this 5x5 / 11x11 spot? Do I place a big tile on the ground and "BOOM", it's mine?%

the smallest deed you can make is 11x11 with a 5 tile perimeter around it. Placing the deed will make those 11x11 yours.

5. Anything more you could tell me (tips), to make it more clear for a beginner?

At the moment I am not sure how many new people will be rushing to grab land. If you plan on putting down a deed unless you happen upon a place that you absolutely love keep looking around. There will be plenty of good spots to settle down that won't be touched for weeks I'd imagine.

If you find lead its a good spot....and yes there will be people flowing in who are there to get a nice spot from other servers.

Edited by Protunia

No. You'll have to buy silver from the online shop before it will show up in your in-game bank (this happens almost instantly), and have to pay for premium before you'll be able to buy a settlement form.

If you decide you want to venture inland at all, for example "I wonder if there's a good spot up on that ridge", or "I bet I can get a better view of the terrain if I climb up that mountain a bit", you will need some jars with water in them. If you find yourself far from the coast without water, and an empty water bar, you will have trouble regenerating stamina, so won't be able to run (from spiders, for example). More new players die for lack of water than I can count.

Once you deed it, it's yours. You can go eat a sandwich or go to sleep, or do what you like. If you don't deed the spot you settle on, you could very well wake up tomorrow to find that you now live in someone's perimeter and have to go look for another spot.

You will right click the settlement form as described on http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Settlement, choose "found settlement", and follow the instructions described in the wiki.

Familiarize yourself with the Game Rules on the GM Forum, and the page on settlements in the wiki (linked above). Mix equal parts preparation and luck, and you get better odds of success!

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck!

• Like 1

Expanding on what Garis said. If you're going to explore then:

Don't run out of water.

Travel as light as possible, you can always make more wood scraps. Speed = survival.

Don't run out of water.

Move in spurts, look, run, look, run. As soon as you decide to just run in a line you will get agro.

Avoid olive forests if at all possible. They hide nasty things.

Don't run out of water.

If you see smoke avoid it, it might be a hell hound, long agro range and fast.

Ditto if you see light at night, either hell hound or lava fiend/spider. It might be a hell horse or settlement but not worth it.

Don't worry about eating. Foraging for food is an utter waste of time till you find a permanent base.

Avoid leting your stamina get below half if you can, stop frequently. (see water comments).

Brown bears, rats, crocs, anacondas can swim. Most everything else you can avoid by jumping in a lake or ocean but trying to out run swimmers by entering water is usually a death sentence.

If you have to run try to escape down hill. Escaping up hill is usually bad news.

Lastly try to have enough water on you so make some jars before you set out.

It's not too hard to stay alive if you stay observant. If you get lazy and just barge ahead you get a free teleport to the starter deed.

Edited by belthize

It's not too hard to stay alive if you stay observant. If you get lazy and just barge ahead you get a free teleport to the starter deed.

minus any player made objects and your backpack compass and pottery bowl